Installing Wordpress

One of the main reasons I install Wordpress manually. It only takes 5 minutes.

Hello, I am newbie and have been lurking around this excellent forum for a couple of weeks. Most posts have been invaluable so far, but now I've hit a snag. Well, I've taken a ticket at support but perhaps someone here can help me.

I'm trying to install WordPress on my public_html folder and I keep on getting an error of problem with loading page. I have been following the instructions pertaining to the getting started file. I have also consulted the forum on installing WP, but I'm still getting nowhere.

Also, I'm using Firefox as my web browser and every time I enter http://mysite.ext/wp-admin/install.php it is converted to http://www.mysite.ext/wp-admin/install.php

On the step-by-step instructions, it notes that if there are problems than I've entered the wrong info in the wp-config.php file.

Thus, I have some questions concerning this:

define ('DB_USER','cpanelname_USER') should the apostrophes be stated? should DB_USER be overwritten with 'cpanel_USER'? I tried both leaving 'DB_HOST' unchanged and changed to 'localhost', but neither have worked.

Additionally, there were two blank spaces between the comma at 'DB_CHARSET' and 'utf8' . I tried both ways, with a blank as well as correcting and of course, neither worked.

My dyed hairs are greying rather quickly and although I could have done the Fantastico version, I still feel that I can't give up when I'm this close... :surrender:

Edited by searlaitm

Welcome to the forums searlaitm :surrender:

Questions:

1. Did you create a database in cPanel?

2. Did you create a user for the database in cPanel?

3. Did you add the user to the database in cPanel?

If the answer to all of those is yes then you need to rename the wp-config-sample.php file wp-config.php and edit the contents to something like this.

>// ** MySQL settings ** //

define('DB_NAME', 'cpaneluser_database-name');	// The name of the database
define('DB_USER', 'cpaneluser_user-you-added');	 // Your MySQL username
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'the-password-for-the-user-you-created'); // ...and password
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');	// you won't need to change this value

That should get you going.

Welcome to the forums searlaitm :surrender:

Questions:

If the answer to all of those is yes then you need to rename the wp-config-sample.php file wp-config.php and edit the contents to something like this.

Yes, I did all that. So I have the DB_* variables, etc.

>// ** MySQL settings ** //

define('DB_NAME', 'cpaneluser_database-name');	// The name of the database
define('DB_USER', 'cpaneluser_user-you-added');	 // Your MySQL username
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'the-password-for-the-user-you-created'); // ...and password
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');	// you won't need to change this value

That should get you going.

I guess what I'd like to know is: if my cpaneluser is xxxx and database-name is yyyy, do I write the information like this:

define('DB_NAME', 'xxxx_yyyy'); // The name of the database

define('DB_USER', 'xxxx_nnnn'); // Your MySQL username

define('DB_PASSWORD', 'mypassword'); // ...and password

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // you won't need to change this value[/code]

or do I write it like this:

define('xxxx_yyyy'); // The name of the database

define('xxxx_nnnn'); // Your MySQL username

define('mypassword', 'the-password-for-the-user-you-created'); // ...and password

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // you won't need to change this value[/code]

Should I retain the apostrophes as above. I gather they should remain but I never said I was a computer programmer.

I have created a few databases, then ending up deleting them to start over and am willing to do the same again, but I just want to get it going so to speak.

Thanks again,

Searlait

They would be entered like this:

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // you won't need to change this value

Yes, leave the single quote marks in there.

They would be entered like this:

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // you won't need to change this value

Yes, leave the single quote marks in there.

okidoki...I entered the information as above again and still was not able to install.

So I was doing some troubleshooting and found that my WP folder had made it on to my server, but not the actual public_html folder. Thus, I opened up my File Mgr and dragged it to the public_html folder.

Now, I was wondering, when I was FTP:ing my WP folder, should I have opened it and en masse uploaded the three folders and all the other files?

The reason for which I'm asking this, is that now that my WP folder is in public_html, should it be able to open it up and process the files? Is this the reason why there is a conflict and won't install?

If you want Wordpress in your root folder you should upload the contents of the Wordpress archive to the "public_html" folder.

So in "public_html" you would have the wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes folders and the php files outside those three folders.

I take it you are just starting your web site and Wordpress will be what you are using. What I would do at this point is remove everything in the "public_html" folder. On your computer zip up the contents of the "wordpress" folder and upload it to the "public_html" folder. Once you have it there open cPanel's File Manager, select the zip file you uploaded and select to extract it. Then delete the zip file. If you made the changes to the wp-config.php file on your computer and included it in the zip file you uploaded and extracted you are now ready to run the install script.

If you didn't upload the wp-config.php file, rename the wp-sample-config.php file and edit your information into it.

I've done this so many times I can practically do it in my sleep. You'll get there. :surrender:

If you want Wordpress in your root folder you should upload the contents of the Wordpress archive to the "public_html" folder.

So in "public_html" you would have the wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes folders and the php files outside those three folders.

I take it you are just starting your web site and Wordpress will be what you are using. What I would do at this point is remove everything in the "public_html" folder. On your computer zip up the contents of the "wordpress" folder and upload it to the "public_html" folder. Once you have it there open cPanel's File Manager, select the zip file you uploaded and select to extract it. Then delete the zip file. If you made the changes to the wp-config.php file on your computer and included it in the zip file you uploaded and extracted you are now ready to run the install script.

If you didn't upload the wp-config.php file, rename the wp-sample-config.php file and edit your information into it.

I've done this so many times I can practically do it in my sleep. You'll get there. :surrender:

What I would do at this point is remove everything in the "public_html" folder.

Do you mean everything, the WP files and other folders that were there originally when I opened up the file mgr prior to installing WP?

What's in the public_html folder now? Have you just signed up? Did you have other stuff in there?

Check your PM.

I have the WP press folders: wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes folders and the php files outside those three folders; _private folder; _vti_bin, _vti_cnf, _vti_log, _vti_pvt, _vti_txt; cbw; cgi-bin; images

In the cbw folder, I suspect this is a remnant from my first attempt of subdomains in which I scrapped pretty quickly, there is an additional cgi-bin folder in the cbw folder.

Despite these trials and tribulations, I certainly hope that I'm contributing to this forum in a positive way....:) :surrender:

Edited by searlaitm

Well, are you wanting to start over? The _vti folders are for FrontPage. If you are wanting to start over remove everything in the public_html folder. Or an alternative you can open a ticket with the help desk and ask them to reprovision the account.

I am making an assumption that you only want a WordPress blog on your domain name. The easiest way to do it is to remove everything in the public_html folder and start fresh.

Well, are you wanting to start over? The _vti folders are for FrontPage. If you are wanting to start over remove everything in the public_html folder. Or an alternative you can open a ticket with the help desk and ask them to reprovision the account.

I am making an assumption that you only want a WordPress blog on your domain name. The easiest way to do it is to remove everything in the public_html folder and start fresh.

Okay, that's what I'll do. Wipe the slate clean so to speak. I just want a WP blog so I'll delete and then follow your instructions as posted above. Fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Okay, that's what I'll do. Wipe the slate clean so to speak. I just want a WP blog so I'll delete and then follow your instructions as posted above. Fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Nearly there...I am truly confused now.

I get a new error message with Word Press logo (positive!) stating:

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the xxxx_yyyy database. * Are you sure it exists?

* On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_wordpress. Could that be the problem?

So I know that the second question, I've got covered. No problems there!

Yet, I went to my cPanel and then onto MySQL database page. It clearly states in the table what my current database is xxxx_yyyy; size = 0.1 MB (something to worry about?); the user in the first table is absent, but further down the page it is stated what the user is xxxx_nnnn.

any advice?

Nearly there...I am truly confused now.

I get a new error message with Word Press logo (positive!) stating:

So I know that the second question, I've got covered. No problems there!

Yet, I went to my cPanel and then onto MySQL database page. It clearly states in the table what my current database is xxxx_yyyy; size = 0.1 MB (something to worry about?); the user in the first table is absent, but further down the page it is stated what the user is xxxx_nnnn.

any advice?

I figured it out!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Bruce :) :)

Note: for those of you who might find themselves at this point, don't forget to "Add User to Database". No blanks should exist in the tables. Puh! :surrender: :lol:

Edited by searlaitm

Glad you got it sorted out. I asked you in post 2 above.

Questions:

Adding the user to the database is a very important step and the one most people forget to do.