What I Need For Hosting Multiple Websites?

jamestl2

I’ve been a very happy TCH customer for the past half a year now, and I’ve been thinking about expanding my operations. I’m unsure quite what plan will best fit my needs though.

I was thinking about creating one or two more websites, completely unrelated, other than the fact that I run them, so I couldn’t put them on the same domain. What plans should I focus on, what are my best options?

Is a reseller account what I should be looking at? But then again, my budget isn’t very large, and I don’t think I can afford to pay $20-30 a month; I looked at the plans but am not sure as to what I should do?

Also, what would become of my current account, cpanel interface, etc. would I be given a brand new account for each new site, or do I manage it all from the one I already use?

Thanks again for the great service, I may have more questions concerning my issues later.

You are correct.

To have the sites using their own domain names you would need a reseller account, or several virtual accounts.

Without knowing how many sites/domains you plan to create, recommending which virtual plans to purchase is difficult, it all depends how much space and bandwidth you need. But you can always upgrade/downgrade them at any time.

If you go reseller, you will be given access to a Web host manager (an advanced cpanel) where you can administrate your hosting accounts. Each domain inside your reseller account will have their own cpanel too.

If you go virtual, they will all have cpanel as you have today.

Thanks for the cpanel info. Not quite sure what you meant by "Advanced Cpanel", is it basically a portal to smaller cpanels for different sites?

Right now I know I want to create at least "one more" website. Then maybe in a few months I'll add another depending on different circumstances. Right now on the site I currently run (in sig). I wouldn't make any changes to how it's currently operating.

For the other site I want to create, it will be a discussion board running off of vbulletin (completely separate from my current site). Along with maybe a small blog on it for updates, news etc.

Thanks for the link, Thomas.

I suppose I'm still a little confused about resellers. Am I allowed to host "Unlimited Domains" on them (for as much as the transfer bandwidth and disk space can use)? Is that what I should be looking at for for both my current site and my future forums I want to make?

(For now I decided I just want to add one site)

A reseller plan allows for a set amount of bandwidth and disk space. You can host as many domain as you wish until they reach that limit.

With a reseller plan you set up your own plans with in the reseller plan and assign them to the domains you will host. These plans you decide how much disk space, number of email addresses, etc they can have.

If you are going to host 4 or less domains it is more cost effective to have separate accounts for each. Once you hit 5 or more you should consider the reseller method if the sites are small.

Alright, thanks for the clarification Bruce. I suppose I'll just set up another virtual account for my new site then.

Two more quick questions about resellers, if I ever take that route. Are resellers generally targeted for larger sites, or ones that may grow in the future?

And concerning creating the plans, do you assign "mini-plans" in the reseller before you set everything up? Are they fixed, say if one were to exceed bandwidth, it couldn't transfer over to other unused portions of the account? (Hope that makes sense)

Reseller sites are targeted at users with many sites or large sites. Growth is not an issue as you can migrate plans up/down pretty easily.

If you create a plan in the web host manager saying they are alloted 100MB bandwidth when it hit's 80% of that they will be emailed telling them they are reaching the limit. If you do nothing and they exceed the 100MB limit the site will become suspended. Just as it would with a regular hosting account. You have that control. It does not use any unused or unallocated bandwidth from your reseller account.