biff

How Can I Forward My Domain?

Howdy Folks,

I have a domain name hosted with TCH. I currently have the domain pointed set for DNS servers on a Windows host.

I'd like to point the domain to my own private server of which have a static IP address. I don't have a DNS, only a static IP.

Is it possible I can forward my domain to my IP address from my TCH domain name control panel?

If it's possible, can I use an address such as http://999999.888.888/ instead of www.myowndaomain.com

Where would enter this address?

Do I have to delete the current nameservers?

Thanks much for your help.

I'm slightly confused ... sorry.

You say "I have a domain name hosted with TCH. I currently have the domain pointed set for DNS servers on a Windows host." so I'm not sure if it's hosted here ( from the first sentence) or hosted elsewhere ( from the second sentence).

If you have the domain hosted with us, and using our nameservers, then you can simply open a ticket at the help desk and ask us to edit the DNS zone for you.

If you don't use our nameservers, then it will depend who's you do use as to if / how you can edit them / get them edited for you.

You can't simply point it to the IP from the domain registration control panel, no.

You say "I have a domain name hosted with TCH. I currently have the domain pointed set for DNS servers on a Windows host." so I'm not sure if it's hosted here ( from the first sentence) or hosted elsewhere ( from the second sentence).

Many Thanks Andy,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I bought the domain through TCH and had the site running on a TCH server. I changed from PHP to ASP.Net and that's why I had to move the site.

Anyway, I still have the domain through TCH, I just renewed it as a matter of fact. In my "manage domain" panel, I have the nameservers set for the .Net host and not TCH.

I'd now like to use a private server and I have a static IP address but don't know how to point the domain to the address?

If I purchase a new domain name with TCH, can TCH point that domain to my IP so that I can access the site with the domain name instead of the IP address?

Thanks Again.

Hi Biff,

You can't just point a domain to an IP address from the domain registration desk.

From the domain registration, you need to define at least 2 nameservers ( These are the things that tell a computer what IP a domain is at ). If you have hosting for that domain with us, then youwould use our nameservers ( and we could point to any IP address for you). Since you are not hosting it with us, then it will not be using our nameservers. We don't provide nameservers for accounts not hosted with us.

You could purchase the smallest hosting package from us, and then use our nameservers. Alternatively you can google for 'DNS service' or 'free DNS service' to find someone who will provide the nameservers for you.

Many Thanks Andy, :notworthy:

I may have found a solution. If not I'll probably be back with a new domain.