Ftp Uploading Problems Solution?

Hi,...

I've been with TCH for a few years now and man,... What is up with the problems with uploading using FTP?

It doesnt matter what program i use. If i use WS_FTP it times out or erros, Frontpage Times Out, ShopFactory Errors out with a message saying failed to publish files due to server disk full or broken connection and even using Internet Explorer with a direct FTP connection.

I just did a format of my HDD and have only installed a very few things just to get my system back up and running. No Anti Virus, No Spam Blocker, No Firewall, Not even windows Firewall.

I don't understand and it's getting very very old having to upload files 5 and 6 times if not more just to get everything uploaded with out connection errors.

I submitted a ticket a long, long time ago and I was told it was something on my PC causing it to fail so now that i had to do a format on my PC the problem remains.

I did a search and there are reports of this problem going ALL THE WAY BACK TO 2003.

I've attached a screen capture of the error that ShopFactory reports back to me when it fails.

Now what I'll have to do is keep clicking on publish 4 or 5 times until it finally gets all the files uploaded.

This happens on ALL 4 of the Server Disk Space or Accounts that I own here so it's not just happening to one account. It happens on all of mine, All 4 of them.

Is there a Fix for this issue and not a "Workaround" because a Workaround isnt really a solution to the problem. I'd like to be able to use the programs and software i use for uploading as they were designed to be used.

Thank you.

Jim

post-6530-1193220567_thumb.jpg

Have you checked with your isp so they do not have any problems?

Thinking that if these 4 accounts are on different servers it is less chance that the problem is on TCH´s end.

Actually it's a new ISP. It's Comcast now where before it was RoadRunner. So it's two different ISP's, Same problem.

What is it i should be checking with Comcast? I've only had Comcast for about 4-5 months now where i had RoadRunner for ummm,... A long time, Several years.

{EDITED}

My accounts are:

OnlineAutorama.US

Cazaland.com

RCPriceWatch.com

MrSignsNDecals.com

Edited by OnlineAutorama

How much are you trying to upload at one time? There are time limits for FTP sessions. If it's taking longer than the FTP session allows it will time out. Open a ticket with the help desk next time you are uploading and receive the error. Also run a tracert when it times out and provide that with the ticket.

I use RR and SBC/DSL and have never encountered any timeouts uploading to the TCH servers.

How much are you trying to upload at one time? There are time limits for FTP sessions. If it's taking longer than the FTP session allows it will time out. Open a ticket with the help desk next time you are uploading and receive the error. Also run a tracert when it times out and provide that with the ticket.

I use RR and SBC/DSL and have never encountered any timeouts uploading to the TCH servers.

Going by WS_FTP and right clicking on the "shop" directory on mrsignsndecals.com it reports 3,758,560 Bytes.

So less than 4 mb

Where can i find the directions for running "tracert"?

I guess i'll do a search for it. I believe while doing my searches earlier for a solution that seemed to be the most popular response to everyone else who had the same issues, run tracert and submit a support ticket.

It doesnt seem like an issue on my side because all i have to do is click publish again and it starts to reupload everything again so i'm pretty sure that clicking the publish button which is right there in front of me is quicker than i think having to go to start, run and typing that in so i guess we'll see what it says and since it does it every single time i publish or upload you'll be getting a support ticket within minutes.

Thank you

Jim

4mb should not be an issue. I uploade 8mb weekly where I work with no issues using CuteFTP.

To run a tracert assuming you are on Windows:

Click the Start button

Select Run

Enter CMD and tap OK

Enter tracert yourTCHdomain.ext

Copy and paste the results the trace reports into your help ticket.

How do you run tracert?

Everytime i run it in the Run command a window pops up and closes.

I tried searching on here "How to run tracert", "Running tracert" I keep getting errors searching this place.

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.

4mb should not be an issue. I uploade 8mb weekly where I work with no issues using CuteFTP.

To run a tracert assuming you are on Windows:

Click the Start button

Select Run

Enter CMD and tap OK

Enter tracert yourTCHdomain.ext

Copy and paste the results the trace reports into your help ticket.

Yeah i wouldnt think 4mb would be an issue either. But ShopFactory times out, WS_FTP times out, IE times out when i'm connected directly to ftp:// and this isnt something that has just started either. It's been like this since day one. It's just that with ShopFactory i do a lot of publishing and it's just getting on my nerves having to sit here babysitting the upload is all.

Running tracert now.

Thanks Bruce.

Jim

I'm pretty sure you do, it's a plug in of firefox.

have you tried it lately? I didn't used to be a fan either, now I can't imagine using anything else!

Probably 4 months ago was the last time. It was installed on my PC until yesterday when i did the format on my hdd. I just never used it.

What does it mean when it says Request has timed out?

Please See attachemt 3 posts up.

Jim

Edited by OnlineAutorama

Well if all requests are timing out either your router is not allowing you to run a tracert or you just have a bunged up connection. An actual tracert should lool like this.

>Tracing route to mrsignsndecals.com [208.76.80.157]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1	<1 ms	<1 ms	<1 ms  192.168.1.254
 2	 7 ms	 6 ms	 6 ms  ppp-69-213-245-254.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net [69.213.245.254]
 3	 7 ms	 7 ms	 7 ms  dist2-vlan50.dytnoh.ameritech.net [65.43.25.227]
 4	 7 ms	 6 ms	 6 ms  bb2-g2-0.dytnoh.ameritech.net [65.43.25.116]
 5	19 ms	18 ms	19 ms  ex1-p6-0.eqchil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.40.125]
 6	20 ms	19 ms	19 ms  asn2828-XO.eqchil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.249.98]
 7	19 ms	19 ms	19 ms  65.106.6.165.ptr.us.xo.net [65.106.6.165]
 8	25 ms	25 ms	25 ms  65.106.6.210.ptr.us.xo.net [65.106.6.210]
 9	25 ms	25 ms	25 ms  p0-0.CHR1.Southfield-MI.us.xo.net [207.88.84.106]
10	25 ms	25 ms	25 ms  66.237.110.54.ptr.us.xo.net [66.237.110.54]
11	27 ms	27 ms	27 ms  319facility.core1.troy2.waveform.net [216.29.182.94]
12	26 ms	26 ms	26 ms  ukatis.tchmachines.com [208.76.80.157]

Trace complete.

What does it mean when it says Request has timed out?

Please See attachemt 3 posts up.

Jim

That means you are not reaching your first hop, you are not even leaving your computer. Do you have a firewall installed? Are you sure you are connected to the internet? I would first turn off any firewall software and try again, you may have outgoing traffic blocked.

Well if all requests are timing out either your router is not allowing you to run a tracert or you just have a bunged up connection. An actual tracert should lool like this.

>Tracing route to mrsignsndecals.com [208.76.80.157]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1	<1 ms	<1 ms	<1 ms  192.168.1.254
 2	 7 ms	 6 ms	 6 ms  ppp-69-213-245-254.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net [69.213.245.254]
 3	 7 ms	 7 ms	 7 ms  dist2-vlan50.dytnoh.ameritech.net [65.43.25.227]
 4	 7 ms	 6 ms	 6 ms  bb2-g2-0.dytnoh.ameritech.net [65.43.25.116]
 5	19 ms	18 ms	19 ms  ex1-p6-0.eqchil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.40.125]
 6	20 ms	19 ms	19 ms  asn2828-XO.eqchil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.249.98]
 7	19 ms	19 ms	19 ms  65.106.6.165.ptr.us.xo.net [65.106.6.165]
 8	25 ms	25 ms	25 ms  65.106.6.210.ptr.us.xo.net [65.106.6.210]
 9	25 ms	25 ms	25 ms  p0-0.CHR1.Southfield-MI.us.xo.net [207.88.84.106]
10	25 ms	25 ms	25 ms  66.237.110.54.ptr.us.xo.net [66.237.110.54]
11	27 ms	27 ms	27 ms  319facility.core1.troy2.waveform.net [216.29.182.94]
12	26 ms	26 ms	26 ms  ukatis.tchmachines.com [208.76.80.157]

Trace complete.

Hmmm,... Interesting.

That means you are not reaching your first hop, you are not even leaving your computer. Do you have a firewall installed? Are you sure you are connected to the internet? I would first turn off any firewall software and try again, you may have outgoing traffic blocked.

Am i sure i'm even connected to the internet?

Ummm it seems like it since my email, browsers and downloads are working.

It's Cable Internet.

I just did a format, Theres nothing installed except Windows, My Video Card Drivers, Raid Drivers, ShopFactory, Frontpage 2003, WS_FTP, Outlook, MS Word, Everquest and Printer Drivers.

Windows FireWall is Disabled.

Without the router your trace route looks fine, you reached the server. Why you failed to "publish" I don't know. By "publish" I assume you are using Front Page, I don't use FP so can't help there. You mentioned using WS_FTP, try that and see if it works with the router out of the way.

Without the router your trace route looks fine, you reached the server. Why you failed to "publish" I don't know. By "publish" I assume you are using Front Page, I don't use FP so can't help there. You mentioned using WS_FTP, try that and see if it works with the router out of the way.

It fails using Front Page Yes. It also fails using Shopfactory which from as far as i can tell it just uses FTP to transfer the files to the server.

I also get time outs using WS-FTP also. Even when i open IE and FTP to my account and try to transfer files it times out.

This isnt something that has just started. This has been an issue since day one and it's going on several years now and two different ISP providers.

I'm stumped and i can see this going to the same place it went to the last time i tackeled this issue. Last time i got tired of going back and forth, try this, try that, try this again. Call someone else.

I got burned out last time and just gave up but now that i'm using shopfactory again it's just driving me nuts eveytime i try to publish or upload the files to the server.

Yep support ticket was opened already. My last email i received was to try Telnet mrsignsndecals.com 21

All that did was open a telnet connection,.. see attachement.

Jim

post-6530-1193271290_thumb.jpg

Edited by OnlineAutorama

Well,... I signed up with x10 and get 550mb of free space by filling out a bunch of different suveys. I opened up the cPanel and the cPnael looks just like the one that we have but it seems to have about 15 extra icons that i havent checked out yet.

But anyway i set forth to publishing my shop using ShopFactory and Bing, Bang, Boom. Everything uploaded and uploaded in minutes.

See attachments.

Normally trying to upload the shop to my server here is a 30 minute deal but in just about 5 minutes the site was uploaded and working.

No time outs or errors. Very strange.

Jim

post-6530-1193274974_thumb.jpg

It´s early morning here so bear with me now. :)

When you uploaded/published to this other place, was the router enabled then?

If not, does it upload with without problems with the router enabled?

If it does, I would tell the guys at the help desk this and also tell them about this thread so they can easier see what has been done and whats not.

Just thought I would mention (may or may not be same issue) but for quite some time now I have similar issues, I use DreamWeaver, Filezilla, as well as just plain ole ftp via browser and very frequently loses connection during uploads. I use a Netgear fast ethernet switch and have also tried connected directly to the Motorola SurfBoard with no remedy.

I'm not sure why some people have problems and others don't but I recommend that you open a ticket with the help desk to see if the techs can help solve it.

I have been with TCH for four years now and have never had issues with FTP and I upload constantly for my company's web site.

Your first tracert screenshot (all asterisks) is what I get if I don't create a firewall exception for incoming and outgoing ICMP messages.

For a tracert to succeed, both the router and software firewall, if any, must be configured to allow ICMP messages to pass in both directions between your computer and any other IP address.

I believe Windows XP firewall allows all ICMP traffic by default, but my PC-cillin firewall disallows all ICMP unless I configure exceptions to allow it. Other two-way firewalls like Norton probably do the same.

Your second tracert screenshot looks better, but it really isn't, because the second hop timed out and it only takes one bad hop to break the whole chain.

I'd suggest doing that same tracert test many times over a few days to see if you have frequent problems at that second hop, or at various points.

Which ISP you are using won't make a lot of difference, since the majority of the route depends on big telecommunications companies along the way rather than your ISP. Some of those companies have frequent problems. If they are having problems often enough that a failure is likely to occur at some point during an upload, it could cause upload failures even if sometimes or most of the time the path is ok.

Edit:

A "network health" tool like http://www.internetpulse.net/ might also be helpful at times, though I don't see Comcast shown there.

There are also some FTP settings that could interfere:

Internet Options > Advanced > (Browsing) Use Passive FTP

See Wikipedia on Passive FTP ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol ). Basically, if you want to use active FTP, your firewall/router must allow incoming TCP connections from any IP address to your FTP application, on any port on your computer.

Whichever FTP client you use needs to be clear on which FTP mode it should use.

Edited by SteveW

It also depends on what tye/size of files you are trying to upload. Most of my work involves uploading hundreds or even thousands of tiny files (1kb, 3kb) which often seems to confuse things. Nothing wrong with TCH or my ISP, it's just the way it is when trying to carry out such intensive uploads.

Best solution that I've found, and that might work for you, is to put all the files you are trying to upload into a zip file.

Upload that zip and then use the File Manager in cPanel to extract the zip on the server.

I find this to be much more reliable and way, way quicker.

Ali.