Free Anti-virus Software

aaron_ginn

If you're looking for an affordable, efficient anti-virus software package, look no further than AVG.

Cost - Free

OS - Windows only

Company - Grisoft

Site - http://www.grisoft.com

This is a sweet little package that is as good as any of the big boys (Norton, McAffee), IMO. Updates are almost always available immediately after a new virus hits the scene. It has an auto-update utility to check and update itself periodically, and it seems have a much smaller memory and CPU footprint than something like Norton (I don't have any hard data on this. It just feels faster to me).

Aaron

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Most of the major A/V vendors have online scanners (trend, mcafee, panda, etc.), and PestPatrol also runs PestScan, an online antispyware scanner. Trojanscan.com, run by GFi, also does a free online trojan scan, although it takes a while for systems with a lot of files.

Hmmm, interesting... I had some similar experiences where it would make GTA3 grind to a halt when it was doing a scheduled scan, but other than that it didn't seem to slow down my system noticeably.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LightKeeper

I used Norton Corporate for years then brought AVG. Believe it or not... AVG Free is better than the Pro version. I have Free now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I am using Avast at the moment. Version 4.6 has some major improvements in resource usage. I tried AVG once but found it failed to detect several viruses I tested it with. Also AVG requires you to set up your email client to use it where as Avast just scans ALL connections to SMTP and POP ports. It is even programmed to automatically scan all traffic to most Instant messenger and P2P software.

I used Norton Corporate for years then brought AVG.  Believe it or not... AVG Free is better than the Pro version. I have Free now.

not really, I mean free seems to load faster, but you get no tech support and your options on testing and the resident shield are greater in Pro which can improve performance and increase efficent use of resources. But free is a good product. It's interesting that they now bundle with Kerio, I use Kerio 2.1.5, that version 4 never really impressed me much considering the resources it uses.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I stopped using Avast as it failed to detect a virus. AntiVir detected the virus but doesn't scan email unless you pay. I've decided to go with what is reputed to be the best (although not free) NOD32 from Eset.

Since the threads still kicking, I thought I'd mention I'm still using AntiVir without any problems. Indeed it doesnt have an email scanner for the free editon, however I use the basic precautions of not allowing certain content along with my providers scan the mail for me (paid yahoo and hotmail).

For windows, I will probably stick with Antivir, or possibly move to kapersky when I switch to vista

possibly move to kapersky when I switch to vista

I've been using Kaspersky on XP for over a year now with no problems - and it's certainly been put to the test. Updates itself automatically every three hours and it's less of a resource hog than Norton or McAfee. Two thumbs up.