Important Icann Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)

TCH-Thomas

At this time of year Icann are sending out emails regarding your domain(s) and I just want to clarify that this email is legitimate and you must follow the instructions in the email.

The email says:

Dear (your name),

It's that time of year again. ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) annually requires that all accredited registrars ask their domain administrators/registrants to review domain name contact data, and make any changes necessary to ensure accuracy.

To review/update your contact data, simply:

+ Go to http://www.securepaynet.net/...

NOTE: If the link does not work, copy and paste the URL into your browser.

+ Click on the "ICANN" text link at the top left side of the page

+ You will be taken to a landing page and asked to enter your Domain Information key: "your verification code"

+ Enter your key and click "Go."

Next, simply review the contact information for each domain name. To make a correction, log in to "My Account" with your customer number or log in name and password. Click "Manage Domains," select the domain to update, then click "Contact." If you find that your domain contact data is accurate, there's no need to take action.

If, however, your domain contact information is inaccurate, you must correct it. (Under ICANN rules and the terms of your registration agreement, providing false contact information can be grounds for domain name cancellation.) To review the ICANN policy, visit: http://www.icann.org/registrars/wdrp.htm

Should you have any questions, please email us at support@secureserver.net or call our customer support line at (480) 624-2500.

Thanks for your attention and thank you for being a TotalChoice Hosting customer.

Sincerely,

TotalChoice Hosting

I would like to make a suggestion if I may. Perhaps you guys can pass this along to the people that could act on it.

When I first saw this e-mail this morning, the first thing that popped into my head was "phishing."

Upon looking at it closer, I figured it was either one of the best phishing e-mails I had seen, or that it was legit.

I opened my browser and typed the URL into the address bar. I will not copy and paste a URL from a suspect e-mail.

Lo and behold, I got nothing but 404 errors.

Didn't matter if I tried the whole URL, the root domain, or any combination in between.

Once I saw that, the credibility of the e-mail went right in the toilet.

I have a feeling that many people acting the way I did would just shift+del that e-mail.

I almost did, but I decided to forward it to support and ask. They of course informed me that it was legit.

Then I came out here and saw this post.

In my opinion, the URL needs to be accessible by typing it into the address bar of the browser.

It would go a long ways to establishing credibility.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...