Game On!

Game on?

Taking ideas for the latest round of "Forum Give Aways"!

This time I will let the users choose the game.

Lets play it this way.

People post as many ideas for the giveaway as possible. If someone has posted an idea you like simply acknowledge that persons idea.

We will let the thread go for awhile and then grab the top 5 ideas, and place the ideas into a poll. Users will then vote on the poll and then we will have a winner and game on!

There is only one rule for the game, it has to be family. No adult themed games.

These forums are about family and so are the games we play!

Lets get it going on!

The prize - A custom built computer! :)

Yes you read right. Kustom Choice Computers will be delivering to your door a brand spanking new Custom built computer. I will let Matt post the details of the Custom Rig a little bit later. Valued at over $1,500.00

*disclaimer - Winner pays shipping and insurance.

This is the biggest game yet!

Lets make it the best yet!

Bill

(edited by AndyB, just to update a couple of late night typos from HG who never sleeps)

Edited by AndyB

A contest for the person most representing the best in TCH family values :D ,

as seen in forum postings. Rock Sign

best website would seem kind of biased to me....some ppl are just better than others at designing a website. It should be something that everyone has an equal chance of being the winner.

like the wallpaper contest, i know some ppl, myself included didnt even bother entering the contest simply because they arent good with photoshop or design.

How about one page from scratch on a specific subject.

Looking more at an interesting and unique way of presenting the subject as aposed to coding ability.

Everyone here can make a page or they would't be here and if its about ideas not skill no ones at a disadvantage.

Thumbs Up

How about a possible newsletter page (a newsletter? hint, hint). The layout and look. I am thinking along the line of an old fashion newspaper layout maybe.... I am thinking about a new custom-made computer!.... :D :D

[am I eligible???]

How about a slogan for TCH?

I was thinking of something related to advertising TCH and I thought of slogans... It seems something a little "small" for such a grand prize, though... I think... or maybe not... :lol:

Anyway, I have to agree that the webpage contest is probably not a good idea, since there are certainly family members who know *much* more about making webpages than others. That would make things a bit unfair.

Yes, a contest will always be a little unbalanced, there will always be some people who know more about the contest subject than others.

But I think we should try to select a contest that minimizes that difference and perhaps focus a little more on something that doesn't have to do with technical knowledge - hence the slogan idea; it all depends on your imagination. :D

By the way, I'll take this chance to say what everybody else already knows, and contests such as this one only make it even more obvious:

Rock Sign

:)

First.... I agree with everyone on the whole website thing not being a good idea... but of course if you all think my website is rediculously super-cool... my opinion may change a bit... :lol:

Second... A good game might be, "Name That Republican!" Thumbs Up ... Okay maybe not... I think the newsletter idea is really cool though...

Thirdly... W O W ! ... a new computer!! Tonight when I say my prayers... I'm adding something in... I think it's just REALLY important that there is an equal chance of everyone winning and that the only reason someone wins is because they put the time and effort into it...

Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign

First.... I agree with everyone on the whole website thing not being a good idea... but of course if you all think my website is rediculously super-cool... my opinion may change a bit... B)

Second... A good game might be, "Name That Republican!" Thumbs Up ... Okay maybe not... I think the newsletter idea is really cool though...

Thirdly... W O W ! ... a new computer!! Tonight when I say my prayers... I'm adding something in... I think it's just REALLY important that there is an equal chance of everyone winning and that the only reason someone wins is because they put the time and effort into it...

Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign

lol name that right winger...

thats funny

How about the most useful web utility site? The contest could be to create a page (or maybe several pages) that performed some useful function for a visiting surfer (e.g., netmask calculator, postcard sender, online teen diary [those things are popular], etc...) that any webmaster could plug into his/her site.

The script should be useful, easy to plug into an existing web site, and efficient. In that order. :D

wow, i defintely need a new computer.

hrm, best web site? how about best web site design / layout?

is total choice looking for a new layout / design? i'm a talented designer, maybe i can come up with something worth the computer.

:D good luck

jim

Guest Jason Eiseman

How about something specific like the most intuitive website. This has nothing to do with web design, but is based solely on which website is easiest to use.

Guest Guest_realeyz
Maybe it has nothing to do with websites at all?

Maybe it best family vacation photo?

Remember this is wide open. It doenst have to revolve around tech or web sites.

Its not really wide open - its limited to what can be shown in this medium so it would have to be something that can be photographed/recorded or designed/created with your computer to be shown on the electronic medium of this forum or the web.

We couldn't have a chili cook-off contest to see who makes the best chil, but we could have a cooking contest to see who creates the best looking food since that could be photographed.

- todd

I don't know I like the sound of a chilli cook off.

How well does chilli last in an envelope?

Nah forget it I'm just dreamin of food again.

How about ideas for a new invention with plans etc?

How about if you just choose a completely random member in good standing? At least that way I'd have a chance (as opposed to any technical contest). Or the least imaginative idea for the contest (hoping that this idea isn't very imaginative).

hmmmm.

How bout a good reason why you need that computer.

AND in order for you to "compete" you would have to vote for another.

Meaning if I wrote a paragraph about why I needed the New computer I would have to "vote" for someone else getting it.

Course you would have to set up some type of polling system. And keep the vote totals hidden until the final vote.

Guest Jeff Dean

I say we have a photo contest. Bets digital photo wins the prize. Dance

Jeff Dean

Web Developer

ZETAL.COM - WEB BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & CONSULTING

P.O Box 4334, Newport Beach, CA 92661

Phone:1-800-699-9154 Fax:1-309-279-0334

Email: jdean@zetal.com

AOL Instant Messenger: heebeha6

------- ___ O

-----_ `\ <,_

-----(*) / (*) ......... Future Technologies TODAY

I say we have a photo contest. Bets digital photo wins the prize. Dance

Jeff Dean

Web Developer

ZETAL.COM - WEB BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & CONSULTING

P.O Box 4334, Newport Beach, CA 92661

Phone:1-800-699-9154 Fax:1-309-279-0334

Email: jdean@zetal.com

AOL Instant Messenger: heebeha6

------- ___ O

-----_ `\ <,_

-----(*) / (*) ......... Future Technologies TODAY

and then your counting out the people without digital cameras, or even a decnt 35mm cam to take a pic.

Is it just me or are there loads of new members now theres a PC up for grabs?

How about a lottery/raffle. . .paypal. . .

Proceeds go to winners charity?

or

best fund raising event organised?

I want to reiterate what I said earlier... The winner should win solely because he/she put in the most time and effort. Not because they have something (digital camera), they know something (JavaScript), or by chance (Monopoly).

The fundraising sounds good- like for a cause everyone believes in- like the American Cancer Society. UNICEF, the GOP (Right Head Guru Naughty) Okay... maybe not the GOP but a cause everyone believes in... but the problem is integrity. Fundraising for the cancer society so you get a computer.... :D hmmmm...

Woa there, theres no need to shout?

I think your right though.

The comp should reflect the sense of community in this here family.

Some of the best members here are not web design or graphic wizzes just really great people willing to help and trying to learn new stuff.

TCH crew you all rock.

:D

I say we have an INTERNET SCAVENGER HUNT!

We assemble a list of cool family oriented sites sites and people have to gather clues WITHIN the sites in order to solve a riddle or puzzle or guess a secret celebrity's identity...The possibilities are endless.

Damn, forgot to login...

If we go with something Website-related, I'd say we should build a page following guidelines and vote for the best.

If we go on the wide-open side, then best family pet photo would be cool. Ok, not all of us have pets, but you could maybe take your friend/neighbor/grandparents' pet!

Oh! I might be blind but where's the PC's description?

Damn, forgot to login...

If we go with something Website-related, I'd say we should build a page following guidelines and vote for the best.

If we go on the wide-open side, then best family pet photo would be cool. Ok, not all of us have pets, but you could maybe take your friend/neighbor/grandparents' pet!

Oh! I might be blind but where's the PC's description?

Your not blind.

Have not posted any thing about the PC or its contents yet.

Still trying to get the rules of the game worked out...

I like the INTERNET SCAVENGER HUNT.

I have some ideas of places to hide clues and we have several family type sites to use to hide them Naughty

P.S. if I hide some of the clues I won't participate in the contest. My 486-66 is limping along just fine.

I think Digirunt has a great idea!!

Give one topic, and let users have a shot at making a unique small website about that topic. Judging not only by design... but on originality, creativity, layout, images, effects, content.

Let's get it on!

Igor - the bid Ukrainian dude Dance Dance Dance

SCAVENGER HUNT... not bad. We could have one just right here in the forum. Clues/riddles could be given for information that is already here.... among the 21821+ posts. That could actually be fun, but it would take a heap of work to plan.

My idea is a scavenger hunt, Give a list of 10 items and have people try to find them in a gif, jpg, bmp or what ever graphic format. Once they find them have them come back here and list the links to these Items, the first person with all 10 items wins.

Seeing as it's a computer up for grabs--

How about best dressed computer? Take your current computer, dress it up in some sort of theme, wacky, tacky, historic (to represent those decomposing machines :unsure: ) or the like. So basically, play dressup with your computer. Give it a face, some arms if wanted, ect. take a picture and then have a vote on which one takes the cake.

It could be all themed, pick one theme and see who can represent it the best or just have it open ended :D

I think also, seeing as I read it mentioned, that a lot of new members have come out of the woodwork, self included, that some may not have time to post & just like to read. That's alright though right? As in suggesting ideas for the contest.

Jece

I've already discounted my web site idea as it give too many people and unfair edge.

I think if we do a scavanger hunt it needs to be based on something other than first one back as me and Andy [and anyone else this side of the pond] aren't or shouldn't be awake when you guys are.

It gets very quiet here during the UK daytime.

Like now, I'm all alone . . . . looking for symapthy?

ZZZZZ Wake up you lot!! except HG who is probably still working!

We could make a picture story using Googles image search and the funniest one wins?

;)

Guest yipcha

how about a short story contest that must include some key elements but you can take it and run with it and make the story your own. (ie. must include dog, hydrant, and banana peel) -or whatever and it could even be a ilustrated story or easily a web page where you click a link to "flip" a page.

There could be points for various categories- there could even be points for search engine placement. Where TCH picks random keywords that may or may not be tied in with different story elements and you design your web page story based on the packet you choose so there would be very different outcomes all around and when finished you submit it to Google or whatever? And we could have links pointing to TCH throughout these web stories and hopefully generate more traffic to TCH?

Rock Sign

How about the best integration of TCH (the company name, the URL, or the logo) into a Web site -- a site that has nothing to do with TCH. Kinda like 'hiding in plain sight' ... or maybe "Hiding in Plain Site." ;)

;) Design of website would be interesting, but there is not way to tell if the person actually designed their own site or got it from somewhere else.

What about the best use of the all the megabites that TCH offers at such a great price! Rock Sign

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA ed.meyer NO!

I deserve this computer! After all I am the tallest member on the board, and that should count for something, hee hee hee.

My computer is so bad that it takes 20 minutes for Photoshop 6.0 to load. My computer is so ugly and smelly that it makes Janet Reno look like ummmm.....let's see dont want to offend any women, so it makes her look better that my computer.

If you dont believe my height, I got PROOF.

smalligor.jpg

That be me in the back. Im 7'8". AND NO!!!!!!! I dont play Basketball, and Im not a movie star. And do you play Miniature golf?

hee hee

What about something along the lines of Bingo/lotto numbers? Everyone would have a fair chance at it using a random generator.

Everyone could pick their numbers, 6 or so, then to make sure everyone gets in wait a day or two and then HG could do the actual number selection.

On that we could do a small scavanger hunt within TCH to look for hidden things, maybe use a small pixel art design, hide it within TCH pages in random spots. The ppl who find all the items can get an extra card or ticket.

This way, there are no digital cameras for people who don't have them, time diff. dosen't matter, creativity is null, first to find isn't an issue.

:D

I like all the ideas that put everyone at a more equal chance of winning. However, I think that if TCH is giving away something so valuable...they should reep some sort of reward in return. That said, here's my idea:

A contest to see who can write the best FAQ/Tutorial/Article on some subject that has something to do with computers. Whether it be graphics, scripting, spreadsheets, Basic Computer 101 (which my grandmother could use), hardware, or whatever!!

Judgement could be based on general layout, presentation, ease of use, benefit, size of target audience...any number of things that could be stated up front. Small grammer problems could be forgiven, so that those not great at grammer aren't at an extreme disadvantage.

When it's all said and done, the winner will get a puter, and the TCH Moderators/Gurus will have tons and tons of FAQ/Tutorial/Articles to add to their already helpful help site and forums. Of course, all authors would be given credit if their work was published.

That's my 2 cents for the evening. Everyone have a good one!

Tracy

I am sure I would have scheduling issues with the scavenger hunt... (timing would have to be a factor.)

I like Tracy's idea, but I think it should be written off site and within a 24 hour window (deadline) submitted via email to the big cheese (with a confirmation email back letting us know things went ok, this way we can't look at the other posts and get ideas on how to make ours better.

I wish all of you good luck!

Mr. Bill

What about the best cpanel tutorial? You could knock a standard stylesheet up for people to use so they can concentrate on the content, that way it's not biased towards people with good design skills.

Or perhaps a nasty maths mind bender?

I like Tracy's idea, but I think it should be written off site and within a 24 hour window (deadline) submitted via email to the big cheese (with a confirmation email back letting us know things went ok, this way we can't look at the other posts and get ideas on how to make ours better.

I agree that it would be better submitted off site!! Bill, on the 24 hour thing...are you saying that the whole tutorial would have to be written in 24 hours, or that after a certain design period, there would be 24 hours to get it submitted??? Because, I'm pretty sure that there is no 24 hour period in my life that would allow me to start and complete ANYTHING these days!!!! :lol:

Yes 24hrs maybe a lifetime for a Mayfly but it's a flash in the pan for someone like me with two jobs and trying to start their own business.

I like the article idea but maybe if its a more open subject because everyone knows more about something than someone but it may not be an IT related subject.

A lot of people here are new to web design and computers hence why they've chosen the easiest to use friendliest server on the web [ Rock Sign ].

Prehaps once all the entries are in someone could collate them into a site dedicated to being a mine of random information.

Thumbs Up

Yes 24hrs maybe a lifetime for a Mayfly but it's a flash in the pan for someone like me with two jobs and trying to start their own business.

Boy...you said it!!!!

I like what you said about opening up the subject. I had thought of that...was just trying to make it something TCH could benefit from. But...I suppose they could benefit just as easily with subjects outside of computers.

Goof

Guest TheRedMonkey

A contest featuring several areas of website content. Something like most creative, most offbeat, best design. Several categories that can then be put into a contest for best overall. The best site is not always the prettiest. Most of the sites that I think are the most enjoyable are some of the sloppiest work I have ever seen.

Or perhaps a shameless self promotion contest. How many pages can a reference to Total Choice Hosting be made.

Guest BillMcCord
are you saying that the whole tutorial would have to be written in 24 hours, or that after a certain design period, there would be 24 hours to get it submitted???

After a certian design period.... (my life is too busy too!)

I was at work when I posted last,

are you saying that the whole tutorial would have to be written in 24 hours, or that after a certain design period, there would be 24 hours to get it submitted???

After a certian design period.... (my life is too busy too!)

I'm new here, But I thought I would add my 2cents. How about design a unique 404 Not Found/404 - File not found page. This allows you to be creative with out alot of knowlege about photo editing or web design. You can use just text, just photos or both. Rock Sign

Just thought it would help to see all the ideas so far in one place.

I know I was having trouble rememberring whats been suggested so anyone new is bound to.

Best script

best web site

the person most representing the best in TCH family values

one page from scratch on a specific subject

a newsletter page

a made up news story

a slogan for TCH

Name That Republican

name that right winger

the most useful web utility site

Best Haiku

best web site design / layout

the most intuitive website

Best overall informative website based on a forum

Maybe it best family vacation photo

a cooking contest to see who creates the best looking food

a Chili Cook Off

ideas for a new invention with plans etc

choose a completely random member in good standing

Best joke

a good reason why you need that computer

a photo contest. Best digital photo wins the prize.

who can develop the best Total Choice Advertisement

play Monopoly, UNO, Spades or something.

How about a lottery/raffle

best fund raising event organised

an INTERNET SCAVENGER HUNT

build a page following guidelines and vote for the best

best family pet photo would be cool

Give one topic, and let users have a shot at making a unique small website about that topic

best dressed computer

Best Poem

designing smilies or new icons for the forum

Contest for TCH Referral count

Contest to make TCH Graphics

The contest should be who can come up with the best contest

a short story contest

the best integration of TCH (the company name, the URL, or the logo) into a Web site

the best use of the all the megabites that TCH offers

This is getting really complicated... let's make it simple and just give the computer to ME

tallest member on the board

something along the lines of Bingo/lotto numbers

a small scavanger hunt within TCH to look for hidden things

Maybe what we ought to do is have a picture contest?

We could always have a contest on who can throw rocks the farthest

A contest to see who can write the best FAQ/Tutorial/Article on some subject that has something to do with computers.

What about the best cpanel tutorial?

A contest to see who can write the best FAQ/Tutorial/Article on a more open subject

A contest featuring several areas of website content

a shameless self promotion contest. How many pages can a reference to Total Choice Hosting be made

Give a specific time frame (say, September - October) and who-ever refers most new TCH customers wins

How about design a unique 404 Not Found/404 - File not found page

Nice idea, digirunt :P

Here's another thought:

how about the winner is the one who makes the funiest story here on the forums, using smileys?

I know, there's not many smileys to chose from but they can be installed and if needed, I have a bunch of them.

How about going back to the idea that the tallest person gets it? ME! YAY!

I do like the smiley story idea. Telling a story by the smileys.

There once was a :D who wanted to be Whip and so afterwards he became Goof

AHAHAHHAh that story sucks....ahahahhahahah

Just want to add that the 404 error page idea is EXCELLENT! And I vote for it!

When will the contest poll be made?

OOOOOh another story.

Some homie was Dance and some other homie from da hood, didnt like it, so he buttkick.gif. The homie got mad and machinegun.gif his I AM A SPAMMER. And everybody started lool.gif

Well do I win!?!??! I do dont I?

I am the Champion!

Dance Dance

What about something along the lines of Bingo/lotto numbers? Everyone would have a fair chance at it using a random generator.

Everyone could pick their numbers, 6 or so, then to make sure everyone gets in wait a day or two and then HG could do the actual number selection.

On that we could do a small scavanger hunt within TCH to look for hidden things, maybe use a small pixel art design, hide it within TCH pages in random spots. The ppl who find all the items can get an extra card or ticket.

This way, there are no digital cameras for people who don't have them, time diff. dosen't matter, creativity is null, first to find isn't an issue.

:blink:

Yeah! Hold a lotto! Like a quick pick thing!

Or..I liked the idea about Ladder games.

There are so many sites like pogo.com yahoo.com that have online games like Checkers ands tuff that everyone knows how to play.

I think scavenger hunt is a good idea, I also like best website, heck im up for anything...

=)

ooo yes best 404 page that would be cool too!

OOOOOh another story.

Some homie was Dance and some other homie from da hood, didnt like it, so he buttkick.gif.  The homie got mad and machinegun.gif his I AM A SPAMMER.  And everybody started lool.gif

Well do I win!?!??!  I do dont I?

I am the Champion!

Dance  Dance

I'm thinking you have never been to da' hood, cause I've never seen a homie 'dance' like that. Naughty

Best Picture

Worst Picture (family oriented of course)

Funniest Story

Guess the Most watched TV show by Total choice subscribers

A tournament in a certain game, IE Mohaa, q3, Jk2, etc etc

Checkers Championship

Chess Championship,

Who can come up with the most catch phrases in 20 minutes

Who can bring the most subscribers (not urself) to total choice in 1 week

I can do more lol

As for the simple website idea, there is already a similar, well known contest out there: The 5k challenge: http://www.the5k.org/

As for the scavenger hunt, I saw lots of posts about people being at disadvantages (I don't know how to make a great website, I don't know JavaScript, ect..), well not everyone has broadband and maybe the day of the scavenger hunt some persons ISP goes down and they can't get on the net (I know this has happened to me before). So to be really fair, this must be considered for this idea too.

Taking fairness into account, is there really a solution? Think about it.. an essay contest for those who can't write, a design contest for those who can't design, a catchy-phrase contest for the dull, picture contest for those without cameras, and the list goes on and on.

In light of this, I propose this: just a random drawing. This is probably the fairest of all (or closest to in regards to probability).

However, there should be a few limitations on the contest, that would make it fair and open to all.

1. An active account with TCH

2. A forum account, with at least a few postings (I know some people are new, like myself, so imposing post amounts wouldn't work too well)

3. A website up and running, hosted by TCH

4. A link back to TCH on their website, somewhere

Since anyone in these forums obviously has a site hosted by TCH, the above points apply to anyone interested in the contest, and make it fair to all, and limits the contest to only TCH supporters.

So that's my idea. Any derivations or enhancements are welcome! :rolleyes: