Why Tch And Not Another Place?

OnlineAutorama

Hi everyone.

My question is simple.

Why should i sign up to have another site hosted here at TCH? :rolleyes1:

I already have 3 domains hosted here but i've been looking at registering another domain name and i came accross zzzzzzz.com and i can't believe at the amount of space you get by going with their Economy Plan. You get 5GB of space there for $3.99 a month.

I havent had any problem here at TCH but like i said i couldnt believe how much cheaper it was to register domain names and their hosting.

Is there something about zzzzzzz that i don't know about? Does their support suck or something? Do they have a lot of problems with down times? Has anyone here ever been signed up with zzzzzzz before and then switched to TCH?

Like i said i've got 3 domain names here already and all the problems i've ever had or questions have been fixed and answered quickly but man,.... 5 gb of space is really hard to turn away from. :lol2:

Please convince me why i should have a 4th domain hosted here.

I'd really like to make up my mind tonight or tomorrow.

Jim.

HI Jim,

I edited out the name of the host you were referring to.

Lets take a simple look at it ..... 5GB of space, and say a 200GB hard drive ... so that's 40 accounts on a server.

40 accounts x $4 is $160 ... for which they need to buy, manage and support your server (as well as paying bandwidth, power etc.). It just doesn't make economical sense.

However, if you put 500 accounts on the server, and assume that most will only use a few hundred MB .... then that is overselling - something we simply won't do. Why, because it gives server load issues, as well as space issues. By all means, try an account with them, but I am certain that if you use all that space, and the bandwidth you are supposedly allowed, they will find some reason for your account not being suitable.

Besides, do you think you will get anything like the support you get here :lol2:

HI Jim,

I edited out the name of the host you were referring to.

Lets take a simple look at it ..... 5GB of space, and say a 200GB hard drive ... so that's 40 accounts on a server.

40 accounts x $4 is $160 ... for which they need to buy, manage and support your server (as well as paying bandwidth, power etc.). It just doesn't make economical sense.

However, if you put 500 accounts on the server, and assume that most will only use a few hundred MB .... then that is overselling - something we simply won't do. Why, because it gives server load issues, as well as space issues. By all means, try an account with them, but I am certain that if you use all that space, and the bandwidth you are supposedly allowed, they will find some reason for your account not being suitable.

Besides, do you think you will get anything like the support you get here :lol2:

Sorry for using their name,... i didnt know i couldnt use them as an example.

Besides, do you think you will get anything like the support you get here :rolleyes1:

I don't know,... I'm the type of person who is afraid to try to new things. I've enjoyed my stay here. And your probably right. 5gb I will probably never ever use that much but i've found my self close to the 700mb limit that i am having now. I've had to copy files over oto my other accounts just to keep from going over my limit here.

I don't have any issue with you editing out the name of that place but,... Curious tho, why would you do that?

Before posting this message i did a search of that company and found many threads but none that answered my question or any that explained why they are now using TCH instead. Is it possible that the reason i couldnt find my answer to how others feel about the two places is because Admins edit out the names of other companies?

I really wouldnt mind knowing how others feel about the two places and i'd really like to know why they switched from them to TCH. Is it possible that by editing out their name that it might be hurting TCH by allowing us to search for their name? Now anyone who reads this thread who has been with them will have no idea about who we are speaking of and the only answers i will get are from you which might be bias since you work for TCH, does that make sense?

Jim

I've been with TCH for quite a long time now and wouldn't be where I am today with just obtaining my own dedicated server for my purposes now I have officially acquired probably one of if not the best photography website in Australia and now need my own server to handle that. I have always found not only Bill, but all the staff and forum moderators and members very helpful when I have needed the help and also now when needing it the most to facilitate a huge website move to the new server and getting it back on line. Issues you always have those anywhere, but very few here at TCH. Want it solved, ask here, talk in live support, MSN or yahoo, 24/7/365 and it just gets better all the time.

I know of no other company that has the dedication of the owner and staff that provide the service that you find here at the price they charge. Much of it freely given where others charge by the hour.

Maybe you just need to get a reseller account and merge your accounts on to that, I started there originally.

Overselling is very common and you need to be wary of offers that are too good to be true.

Yes I know the people here some of them very well, I would call Bill and Andy very good close friends, but never met them in real life. Both have been very open, giving of their time and expecting nothing in return either. I don't know of anyone where else that it happens other than Nurses who do it everyday without a thought. My real profession if I could still do it, is Nursing in Operating Theatres, being a male a hard profession to be in with mainly all females, but these guys have just as much dedication to their customers as nurses do to the people they look after. And it is much like a close nit family as well.

They to me are the reasons I am here and recommend them without hesitation. No rubbish, no outlandish promises, just honest open and friendly atmosphere.

Your choice.

Seems to me you kind of answered your own question.

The uptime and support at TCH are excellent (not something you can say about many hosting companies).

I know which company you're considering switching to, and they are infamous for overselling their shared servers.

If you're running close on disk space, consider a Silver Plan - 1.2 GB disk space and 40 Gb transfer for 55.00 a year. That's less than 8 bucks a year more than the other guys. If you don't really need 5Gb, why buy it?

I don't know what you do with your sites, but if you're selling anything (that is, running a business) a few dollars a month shouldn't affect your decision anyway. I'll take great support over lowest price anytime.

Steve

I recently came across a hosting company offering $7/mo, 300GB space, unlimited domains, 3,000 GB transfer, fee domain forever, tons of other unbelievable crap. I then checked out a random site hosted by them...a small personal site...without much traffic...and after poking around for a while I got a warning screen saying the site had exceeded its allotted server load (or something similar). I have found this to be a frequent "gotcha" to the sky's-the-limit plans. There is no point in unlimited space/transfer/deals if they throttle your site down to uselessness.

TCH has absolutely incredible support, from the tech dept, to these forums, to Head Guru. For those who recognize the value of support, there is no better bargain...and I have looked! Like anyone else, I'd like more space and/or multiple domains on the same plan, but every time I've looked and investigated, I've found some shortcoming that leaves TCH the clear choice.

That said, I do have another "micro" account at another hosting company where I consolidate a number of domains which collectively require next to zero space/bandwidth/support.

Okay, Okay, Okay,...

It's a done deal.

I've now just signed up for my 4th account here.

Could someone please call me now so i can get the site setup instead of waiting please?

4th Domain.

MrSignsNDecals.com

cazaland.com <- My Wifes site

OnlineAutorama.us

RCPriceWatch.com

Jim

Edited by OnlineAutorama

One thing.

Can you reach the owner of that company via his cell phone 24 hours a day / seven days per week?

You can here at TCH. :)

Bill,...

Thank you for the info.

If you need help with your account or have any questions, please feel free to contact at any time!

Via Skype:

tchgurubill_skype

Via telephone at my office number:

248-834-4575

Via my Cell Phone:

248-632-3243

Via my Cell Phone Instant Messenger:

tchgurubillpda

Via Instant Messenger:

AOL Instant Messenger: tchgurubill

Yahoo Messenger: tchgurubill

MSN Messenger: tchgurubill@hotmail.com

I did not know this info was available

Edited by OnlineAutorama

You are very welcome.

I am glad you decided to stay with TCH. We will do our very best not to let you down.

Bill

It was no question about my other 3 accounts staying here at TCH. It was only a question of what i should do about the 4th.

Maybe someday TCH will increase the space that we currently get, I'd be very happy even with a little extra space. Hard Drivers are getting cheaper everyday. 500gig Hard drive, 300mb extra space = 1666.6666666666666666666666666667 members. :)

Edited by OnlineAutorama

OnlineAutorama

If you have 4 accounts now then it is probably a good idea to get the first level reseller account and move all your accounts within that, much easier to look after that way as well.

Make one payment as well each month at the same time.

Guest Betsy Cramer

What is the first level reseller mentioned whereby accounts can be coalesced? ...I have two accounts now at TCH and have a 3rd domain name--- and am thinking of using another hosting company. These are small accounts, they're not selling anything so probably would not be "resellers" - and I am thinking of moving the two that are here to the other hosting company which charges less ($3/month). (It's ******* hosting - since I assume you'll block that name.)

I am very much an amateur web person and have not found the help forums here easy to use/navigate and months ago (!) for another account, I just gave up when I couldn't find info. (I want to have a blog on the new site, but want to use blogspot rather than wordpress which seems to me difficult to use and which the blog forum here promotes - not difficult for you guys here, but, again, I am very much an amateur.)

That I can call 24 hours a day on someone's cellphone is very nice, but I can't imagine doing that - this is supposed to be online. :) And, anyway, the other company has a strong support system. Although over the last couple of years, I've recommended TCH to others, I now myself am thinking seriously about leaving ...and I guess am searching for reasons why I should stay.

Hi Betsy,

If you don't mind I am going to respond your questions in reverse order starting with our support system. We have a a very solid support system that is manned 24/7, which provides multiple avenues of assistance. Our primary means of support in order, are our Help Desk, Live Chat, Instant Messenger and we also provide these forums and a chat room. Bill providing his cell phone is just to allow you to contact him directly if you ever feel the need.

As for being an amateur at all this we do understanding how daunting navigating a large forum or learning a new program, but we will do all we can to assist. If need assistance with something and have trouble with the forums please feel free to contact the help desk or any staff member directly. We do promote WordPress a lot but only because we provide it as a one-click install from your cPanel, beleive that it is well written, and most of the staff prefere it for thier blogs. However, we have plenty of customers using Blogspot and we will gladly help you get that started.

Now for the host you are looking at. :) Yes, I have removed their name as we prefer not to promote or appear to bash other hosts. Don't get me wrong, I will not be bashing anyone here, only pointing out some facts about the offer you are looking at.

Yes it is only $3.00/mo but you have to pay that upfront with a two year commitment.

They use the same control panel we do and the same basic support services.

The problems I see with this plan are that you get...

NO parked domains

NO databases

NO one-click/self installing scripts

ONLY 1 FTP account

NO shared SSL

NO sub domains

NO stats

NO access to logs

The worst thing I see is they call this a value plan and then claim faster speeds for their higher plans. We do not do that, you get the same service on all our shared plans.

If you are interested in our reseller plan, you do not have to sell anything to use them. While that is the purpose, these plans give you a primary account with the offered resources plus the same amount of resources to create hosting acccounts how you see fit.

Guest Betsy Cramer

Thank you very much for the responses - and, yes, I had noticed that about the varied speeds of the other hosting plan (which, btw, is used by a private middle school here in Santa Barbara, with quite heavy usage and where the kids post but also the teachers and apparently get very good support.) Certainly, though, it could not be more prompt than the two responses just now here.

As for the two year commitment on the other versus the one year commitment here, no big deal; one of the sites I have here I've had for a couple of years and the other for about 6 months - the names of the sites are not important in this context, both of them are small sites, one tiny, although having taken me a huge of work/time and is unfinished - not that anything is ever finished, probably. (I am using my real name and both the sites are current in payment and therefore the identity of my sites should be easily found.)

I did want to do a blog in connection with one of them, did look into the blogging forum here about a year ago ... and gave up and just did the blog separately on blogspot. I think I asked a question and got no useful response or perhaps a response that made me feel stupid so I then decided it wasn't worth even trying again.

From what I know of WordPress, it is superior to Blogspot, but, again, I found getting helpful information that was not totally techie difficult --- I also had difficulty figuring out what was supposed to be my user name so as to ask a question, but that's a different and trivial, although frustrating, story. :) Sometimes the most obvious things, probably, to you who are very familiar with it all are the gateway stumbling blocks that make one really not willing to return. (It was only after needing to make a decision soon on choosing a host for the domain name I've already reserved for a time-sensitive also non-profit site that brought me back here tonight.)

I appreciate that the help sections are staffed by volunteers, users of the TCH, but that sometimes seemed to me to mean that the information was geared for people who were much more capable or knowledgeable than I and, understandably, whose questions were more interesting. For that reason, I have recommended TCH only to those more knowledgeable than I in a local Mac User Group list — I have recommended because although I have felt stumped, I did appreciate the initial set up and was quite sure that others would do better all the while thinking I should move to a simpler host, one more attuned to low level sites or beginner sites.

So, with no specific problems here, why would I change? Well, with three sites, non-profit stuff, it begins to get expensive --- and I guess also that when there are questions, I'd like to think I'd be able to get answers in the forums, at least in phrasing that I would understand. For instance, not to be unpleasant, I really don't understand what this means "If you are interested in out reseller plan, you do not have to sell anything to use them. While that is the purpose, these plans give you a primary account with the offered resources plus the same amount of resources to create hosting acccounts how you see fit." What does the second sentence mean!? That's sort of rhetorical since I am heading offline, but is an example.... <g>

Anyway, thank you very much for your responses. I shall think about it.

While that is the purpose, these plans give you a primary account with the offered resources plus the same amount of resources to create hosting accounts how you see fit.

What Dick means here is that although a reseller account is for people who want to 'sell' hosting to others, it can also be used by individuals who just want several accounts themselves.

You basically have an amount of disk space and bandwidth in a reseller account ( plus all the tools). You can then have your 3 accounts ( or 10, 20 whatever you like) in this space. You only pay for the one reseller account. You can create as many accounts within that space as you like.

For example, I have a reseller and most of my family have a web site there ( I just create them - it costs nothing extra) so that my wife can have one, as can my daughter. My wife has a business related one ... I've given one to my friend....

Does that make sense ?

What Dick means here is that although a reseller account is for people who want to 'sell' hosting to others, it can also be used by individuals who just want several accounts themselves.

You basically have an amount of disk space and bandwidth in a reseller account ( plus all the tools). You can then have your 3 accounts ( or 10, 20 whatever you like) in this space. You only pay for the one reseller account. You can create as many accounts within that space as you like.

For example, I have a reseller and most of my family have a web site there ( I just create them - it costs nothing extra) so that my wife can have one, as can my daughter. My wife has a business related one ... I've given one to my friend....

Does that make sense ?

Yes, it does. Thank you. If I stay here, I'll look into it - where do I find information on reseller accounts? ...I have to make the decision on the new account within a day or so.

Hi Betsy, here is where you can find out more about the Reseller Hosting plans.

Thank you. I just checked it out and at this point it doesn't make sense for me with two small sites and a possible third here and maybe 4th for a non-profit organization a couple of us are thinking about. I am not sure how it works, though, would the separate sites all be listed under another name, (resellerxxx.com) and I would then not use the existing domain urls as addresses - or would the original names be used but this is but a bookkeeping matter?

...I do certainly acknowledge the prompt and helpful responses on this board!

To clarify what Thomas has said when you get a reseller account you can host other accounts under it as sub domains or you can have full domain names hosted under your reseller account.

Say your reseller account is myreseller.com, you can create subdomains like joe.myreseller.com, mary.myreseller.com, samples.myresellers.com. You can also purchase domain names and host them under your reseller account where they have their own cpanel and look just like a normal account.

So you can host example1.com, example2.com and they wouldn't look any different than having their own separate plan.

Hmm,... Okay, Wait one second.

Is it 1500mb per account or total for the "Simple Resellers" Account?

If it's only 1500mb total how is that better than 4 Starter Plans that would = 2800mb?

I understand that you can get unlimted domain names under that but with 4 domain names already thats 375mb each and less and less the more domains you add if you divide the domains up equally. Plus i'm only paying $16 a month vs. $20 for less space.

Heck,.. even the Expert Plan you get 2250mb and it's only $17.95.

I dont understand that at all.

If it's 1500mb for every domain,... Now were talking.

1500mb isnt really all that much these days. 1500mb was a lot more 4 years ago than it is today.

How are you going to resell anything on that? Who wants to buy 10mb of space these days when you can get 100+ for free?

With more and more hosting services coming out everyday with large storage spaces, Over selling or not, It really would be nice to see our storage space increased here at TCH.

Who here wouldnt like to see more space?

Personally i dont think it would be worth it unless it started at 3200mb.

Jim

Edited by OnlineAutorama

You get 1500mb for your reseller domain and another 1500mb for your personal use making it effectively 3000mb. You cannot use the second 1500mb for additional domains though.

From the Reseller Hosting Plans page

Unlike other web hosting resellers, we do not place your reseller account on under-powered or oversold servers. In fact, we place all web hosting resellers on separate dedicated web hosting resellers servers. This way we can better control the servers and allow you to enjoy the speed and reliability that you have come to expect from TotalChoice Hosting.

Hi Jim,

A lot of people have small accounts, that don't want the space - hence it's more beneficial for them to have a large number of accounts on a reseller.

If you have all large accounts, then you would be better of with the separate accounts. I'd also agree, below 4 accounts, it's generally cheaper to have separate accounts ( though not always as convenient ). I have a mix of accounts, some of which are only a couple of pages, and email for friends / businesses - so yes they are only 30MB or something on an account.

A key reason why we have fast, reliable servers is that we don't oversell. It's not something we are ever going to change ( it's part of our core values of providing honest, reliable fast services). It's not that we are not listening to your requests, simply that it's against our ethos to oversell, and at the very budget prices you can't do it without cutting costs ( for example by overselling, or overloading servers).

We are not at the cheapest end of budget hosting - and never will be. If they are the right hosts for you, then feel free to try them. For myself, I'd always prefer the reliability, speed and support that you get here - which is why I host here, and not with one of them :)

If I can use an analogy of a car. I can go and get one for $500. It will have reliability problems, and all sorts of issues, but I can get one. I choose not to, and to buy something more expensive that is much more reliable, and much more suitable for my purpose.

You get 1500mb for your reseller domain and another 1500mb for your personal use making it effectively 3000mb. You cannot use the second 1500mb for additional domains though.

From the Reseller Hosting Plans page

Thank you Bruce.

I didnt see that when i was looking at the resellers accounts.

Is there instructions somewhere that explains how to setup your main account and how to add other accounts somewhere?

I'd be interested in reading more about this feature, I do own other domain names that arnt doing anything at all besides sitting at directnic where i registered them at. I bought them for a friend who started up a business but decieded to have a different name so i was stuck with these. They're really good names so i've kept them. I've thought of selling them many of times.

How do you know,... or where can you go to get advice on how much a domain name "Might" be worth? Would TCH possible have a round table meeting with me and help me to decide on what the value might be,... if any?

Hi Jim,

A lot of people have small accounts, that don't want the space - hence it's more beneficial for them to have a large number of accounts on a reseller.

If you have all large accounts, then you would be better of with the separate accounts. I'd also agree, below 4 accounts, it's generally cheaper to have separate accounts ( though not always as convenient ). I have a mix of accounts, some of which are only a couple of pages, and email for friends / businesses - so yes they are only 30MB or something on an account.

A key reason why we have fast, reliable servers is that we don't oversell. It's not something we are ever going to change ( it's part of our core values of providing honest, reliable fast services). It's not that we are not listening to your requests, simply that it's against our ethos to oversell, and at the very budget prices you can't do it without cutting costs ( for example by overselling, or overloading servers).

We are not at the cheapest end of budget hosting - and never will be. If they are the right hosts for you, then feel free to try them. For myself, I'd always prefer the reliability, speed and support that you get here - which is why I host here, and not with one of them ;)

If I can use an analogy of a car. I can go and get one for $500. It will have reliability problems, and all sorts of issues, but I can get one. I choose not to, and to buy something more expensive that is much more reliable, and much more suitable for my purpose.

Hi Andy.

As always, I value your advice and understand where your coming from,... From a business stand point.

I would think tho that the motherboards your using for your servers supports more hard drives than the basic motherboards do. I myself have a raid mb with 6 sata hd's a burner and a rom drive and having more hd's shouldnt tax the speed of the server i would think.

It's the stupid software that's out there that seems to slow down my pc and even then transfering files and accessing programs over the internet from another pc doesnt seem to effect the performance of the pc on the other end thats accessing the files,...

But anyway,... this can go on and on and on. I do understand what your saying and i am completly happy here. I'm not really a price shopper as much as i am a service and support shopper. No business can ever make everyone happy and having been on the support side myself you hardly ever hear of the good things that are happening and it seems most of the time you only hear about the bad things and the things people are unhappy about.

Keep up the good work guys and sorry if this seems like it turned in to a ranting thread. :)

Jim

Edited by OnlineAutorama

Hi Jim,

With your reseller account you get the WHM (Web Host Manager) which is where you will create your own hosting packages. You will specify how much disk space, bandwidth, email addresses, ftp addresses, etc for each package you create.

When you add a domain you assign one of these packages to it and it creates a web host site with it's very own cPanel.

Check out the Web Host Manager tutorials.

We are not at the cheapest end of budget hosting - and never will be. If they are the right hosts for you, then feel free to try them. For myself, I'd always prefer the reliability, speed and support that you get here - which is why I host here, and not with one of them :)

Hi, again,

I have decided to have TCH host my new (to be) site, openeyed.net. Other than some difficulty a while ago in asking/getting answers (that I understood) to questions and so giving up on using the forums,

I have had no problems with either the pelican site or the incomplete book site. TCH has been totally reliable - and glancing again at the forums, others seem to appreciate the forums, even to the extent of choosing TCH because of them.

Thinking about it <g>, it seems silly to recommend TCH to knowledgeable people but giving up myself and going elsewhere. I do appreciate what you wrote, Andy, and the other offers of assistance. Reliability and speed have certainly been so. I probably have not tried enough for support or just given up with not knowing where to look.

Questions: Where here would I find information on having a subdomain? I have another address that I will want to point to the openeyed site where I would have pages - or should it be a subdomain? Also, where would I find info on incorporating a blog, either WordPress, if I try again there or blogger? And, finally, if I get frustrated again with getting or understanding help, what resources are there - are there any that are for low level sites, those without databases and all the acronyms that are quite meaningless to a non-geek but still would be small scale web designer? I have some web design books but not infrequently need more (or maybe less) than is in the books.... :thumbup:

thank you,

Betsy

Where here would I find information on having a subdomain? I have another address that I will want to point to the openeyed site where I would have pages - or should it be a subdomain?

You may host several domains in one account but they must point to the same content.

To have 2 (or more) domains pointing to different content you will need a reseller account or individual accounts.

If you want you could set up the "openeyed site" as a subdomain if you are ok with that it uses your primary domainname. The address to the "openeyed site" would then be openeyedsite.your-domain.com.

Also, where would I find info on incorporating a blog, either WordPress, if I try again there or blogger?

You could set it up in its own subfolder/subdomain. There is a one-click install through the fantastico section in your cpanel.

And, finally, if I get frustrated again with getting or understanding help, what resources are there - are there any that are for low level sites, those without databases and all the acronyms that are quite meaningless to a non-geek but still would be small scale web designer? I have some web design books but not infrequently need more (or maybe less) than is in the books....

There are lots of tutorials and other info on the Help site and of course this forum. :thumbup:

I have been with TCH for years now. I have convinced the company I work for to use them for hosting, I host my personal site through them, and started up a local mustang club with TCH which is now highly successful.

TCH has the best service of any host I have ever been with. The reliability, tech support, integrity, and everything else Bill mentioned could not be any more true and wonderful.