The Spam Continues

ScooterB

I created an email account to use on job search boards, used it for months. It generated plenty of spam of course. Now I no longer need this email account, so I deleted it. But SpamAssassin still catches all junk email directed at this now deleted account and forwards to my spam email account (which is used for all my other email accounts of course).

So, the process of creating a "throwaway" email account for the purpose of no longer accepting any email to this account does nothing. I can forsee receiving spam email for every email account I create and delete forever.

How can I stop receiving email directed to a deleted account, but still keep my SpamAssassin settings and spam email account active for use with my other email accounts?

Thanks.

My default is :fail: and the account does not exist. SpamAssassin doesn't care what account it's directed to, existing or not, it flags it and sends it to my spam email account. I would like it to just delete the email if that account does not exist. My only thought at this point is to put a user level filter in place to delete it. But then I will have to do that for each and every throwaway email account I ever create/delete until the end of time.

I did open a ticket before posting here. They said it's working as designed. Poor design if you ask me. Bandwidth and cpu to process emails for an account that does not exist.

It's not a poor design and is working as intended. The problem is you are filtering the mail to another address, therefore, it is not reaching the default address to be rejected. First you need to remove this filter, then you can delete any incoming spam or use the SpamAssassin Spam Box.

It's not a poor design and is working as intended. The problem is you are filtering the mail to another address, therefore, it is not reaching the default address to be rejected. First you need to remove this filter, then you can delete any incoming spam or use the SpamAssassin Spam Box.

I think you are mistaken. I have a filter set up on all my accounts to forward email flagged as spam to a separate spam address, but spam sent to non-existent account fails, as it should. I'm not sure why this is not working for the original poster, but it is definitely possible for cpanel/spamassassin to handle mail how he wants.

I think you are mistaken. I have a filter set up on all my accounts to forward email flagged as spam to a separate spam address, but spam sent to non-existent account fails, as it should. I'm not sure why this is not working for the original poster, but it is definitely possible for cpanel/spamassassin to handle mail how he wants.

I would agree with if we were still on cPanel 10, but that is no longer the case with the new ACL's. I have removed the customers info in the filter traces below, however, you can clearly see what I had stated earlier.

The Filter has matched the following condition(s):

$header_subject: contains ***SPAM***

Return-path copied from sender

Sender = *******@server54.tchmachines.com

Recipient = *******@server54.tchmachines.com

Testing Exim filter file "/etc/vfilters/****.com"

Deliver message to: spam@****.com

Filtering set up at least one significant delivery or other action.

No other deliveries will occur.

Return-path copied from sender

Sender = ******@server54.tchmachines.com

Recipient = ******@server54.tchmachines.com

Testing Exim filter file "/etc/vfilters/****.com"

Filtering did not set up a significant delivery.

Normal delivery will occur.

I would agree with if we were still on cPanel 10, but that is no longer the case with the new ACL's. I have removed the customers info in the filter traces below, however, you can clearly see what I had stated earlier.

Actually, as TCH-Andy stated, the problem was that the user had an auto-reply setup for the email account, making it behave as a real account.

I have this filering setup with over 20 domains and I *never* get spam sent to non-existent accounts, even under cpanel 11. I even tested it this afternoon to confirm. If no account, forwarder, or auto-responder exists for a specific address, and the default account is set to :fail:, any email sent to it will bounce. I just thought people should know that this is possible.