aaron_ginn

Wordpress Mu

I'm considering starting a project for my church in which we set up blogs for each team or group in the church in order to keep the members informed. Something like Wordpress Mu seems perfect for this in that I can administrate all the blogs from a single installation and take the issue of security out of the hands of the users and let them concentrate solely on content.

I'm assuming I would need to get a reseller account to do something like this, or do I need to go to a completely dedicated server? I don't anticipate traffic to be very high at all (at least, not at first), so that's not really a consideration.

Is anyone running Wordpress Mu on a TCH server? What things do I need to consider to get this up and running? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Here is a thread on Wordpress Mu that may help.

So that thread seems to indicate Wordpress Mu can be run on a shared server as long as I'm not using subdomains and I don't exceed my allotted bandwidth. Is that correct?

It takes 5-minutes to install a Wordpress blog. How many blog instances are you going to need?

I would create the subdomains and install a full Wordpress into each one. I manage 8 Wordpress blogs and it's no big deal when updates come out to keep them up to date.

I do not know if Wordpress Mu requires the use of subdomains or not to work but if it does then you will need a dedicated server as the other thread says.

"Technically" there is no reason it can't be done, it's just a policy thing. You'll find more and more shared hosting providers shying away from things like Mu which require wildcard subdomains. Too much room for abuse. And yes, you should be using the subdomain installation, because that's the right way to do it.

A couple of individual WP installs would likely be just as easy to manage - keep in mind that Mu is still fairly new and requires a lot of attention and updating. Even easier would be to just create one big team blog - give everyone their own user/pass and appropriate privilege levels, and then set up your theme such that visitors can read the latest sitewide posts, posts from a specific team/group (read "category"), posts from a specific author, and so on.

Unless your plan is to build a big blogging community Mu does not really make things easier. And if your intention is to build a big blogging community, you need to look for a VPS or Dedi instead of wasting time getting it to work on a shared server.

Thank guys. It sounds more and more like Mu might be overkill for what I want to do. I doubt there will be more than 10 blogs, so I don't know that Mu would buy me much in terms of ease of administration. I'll have to think about this some more.

Thanks,

Aaron