salguod

Site Specific Email Addresses

For folks who use a new email address with every web site they encounter, how do you do it? In other words, I might register here with an email of 'tch_forum@domain.com' and only use that address here. Later, if I start getting spam through that address, I can easily come back here and change the email address and I know who is selling my address to spammers (of course, TCH wouldn't do that :rolleyes:).

I'm wondering how this is managed. Certainly, folks aren't setting up a new email account through cpanel every time, are you? I'm assuming that you're relying on your 'catchall' account to receive it, right?

Maybe it's just that easy, but I thought I'd ask anyway to see if there's something I'm missing. Seems like there's got to be more to it, since you'd then have lots of 'good' mail intermingled with the other 'junk' that ends up in the catchall account (mostly bounce messages from spammers spoofing your domain)

Thanks,

Easiest way is to set up a forwarder in your cpanel and not create a "real" address. Forward this address to where ever you want and if you get emails you don't want on that forwarded address, just delete it.

It will work just like a "real" address, but it will go another address and it doesn´t have its own mailbox.

I used to do this regularly, just setup a forward for specific sites. I found out quickly who was selling my address, since I used the name of the site or shop in the name.

I do it all the time. I've posted in the forums about it several times as a way to cut down on spam. Just delete the forward when you start receiving spam at the forward address and all is well.