com693

Google Results

When I do a search on Google with my username as the criteria, it comes up with past postings in the forums here on TCH.

And in some of those posts, I've signed them with my initials (or maybe on rare occasion, my name).

I use this particular handle elsewhere as well, and I don't particularly care for folks to be able to do a search and possibly make a connection with the man behind the username, so to speak.

Is there any way to keep this support forum from appearing in Google searches? It seems rather unnecessary for TCH support forums to be appearing as results in a Google search. 9 times out of 10, the info will apply strictly towards TCH users and not for the general internet population.

Just a concern I wanted to make known!

Sorry but that's not something we are willing to do. The only thing I can suggest is not post anything you don't want seen in an open forum.

Many general discussions are useful and should appear in Google searches. Discussions can deal with many topics that all web developers and marketers are confronted with. When they can find answers to their problems via a Google search, attributed to the great forum members of TCH - what better marketing is there than that? (for TCH, anyway) <_<

I'm (ahem......) old enough to have teenagers and I've always, always told them, "If you don't want something to be known and follow you around for the rest of your life - never, EVER put it down in writing".

I agree that historical forum posts are a valuable resource for web searchers and shouldn't be excluded from indexing.

However, I noticed a while back that this forum seems to impose a time limit for editing one's own posts. My limited experience has been that editing privileges are rarely abused, and that removing the time limit sometimes results in users appending additional useful information to their posts later, sometimes weeks or months later if they intended the original post to be useful for reference.

If the time limit were removed (assuming the software permits it), it would allow the person who started this thread to go back and remove their name or initials from their old posts.

Reason for edit: changed "IPB software" to "software", realizing that I wasn't sure this is IPB. ... Yes, I'm one of those who edit frequently! :)

Edited by SteveW

The threads can always be amended with new information. As for the restrictions on the time limits they are set to a reasonable amount of time so that if you made a mistake you can come back and correct or delete it. But it's minutes, not hours, days, weeks or months later (only mods have that privilege). As for restricting Google from indexing these forums, that's not going to happen. It is a great way to draw new customers. Once someone searching finds these forums useful they may decide to hang around. Later if they decide to start a web site or move a web site they may choose to move it to TCH because they find these forums so helpful and friendly.

If the time limit were removed (assuming the software permits it), it would allow the person who started this thread to go back and remove their name or initials from their old posts.

That's what the use of the signature is for. You can change your signature at any time which will update any threads you created or posted in with the new information.

................ and to elaborate a tad bit on Bruce........................

I FOR ONE get a good deal of REAL GOOD RELIABLE help from these forums

ANY time I need it.

Just a great family; that's all there is to it.