E-mail Filtering

Hi,

I could not figure out how to discard e-mails that spam assasin finds them as spam. The explanation on Cpanel goes like this:

---------------

Hint: To filter all mail that SpamAssasin has marked as spam, just choose "SpamAssassin Spam Header", "begins with", and then enter "Yes" in the box.

---------------

I was not sure where to place "Yes" to filter the mail spam assasin finds as spam.

Regards,

Vedat Gurtan

There is a new feature in cPanel called "SpamBox".

Simply enable that option from the main Spam Assasin menu and you 'marked' email will be forwarded to a special mailbox called spam.

You must use imap or Horde/IMP to check mail that goes to this box!

Its that easy!

(boy i miss the ***** days, when I could say "It's that Simple!"

To my understanding that is if I wanted to keep the spam e-mail. I have alreday done that but I could not find the SpamBox with Horde.

But if I were to discard all SpamAssasin e-mail I need to place the word "Yes" somewhere when adding the filter. I was not sure where "Yes" would go? which box? "Discard box" or the blank box when filtering?

Regards,

Vedat Gurtan

-----------------------------

Add Filter

Filter From Subject To Body Any Header SpamAssassin Spam Header that equals matches regex contains begins with

Destination

(Discard, |/home/user/email.pl, user@domain.com are all valid destinations)

Hint: To filter all mail that SpamAssasin has marked as spam, just choose "SpamAssassin Spam Header", "begins with", and then enter "Yes" in the box.

---------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...
There is a new feature in cPanel called "SpamBox".

You must use imap or Horde/IMP to check mail that goes to this box!

I must use imap or Horde/IMP to check mail that goes to my spam box? :D Ok. So, um, how do I do this? I'd really like to be able to look through it a couple of times just to make sure it's getting what I want it to get and not some things that I want to keep.

With the recent upgrades to cPanel, the dev team has been paying more attention to the users of spam assasin.

In the previous build you would need to use a imap client to get to your spambox.

Well not anymore.

You can create a "new" e-mail account that has precisley the same settings as your e-mail account, but add:

"/spam" to the end of the e-mail account username.

This will retrieve only your SPAMBOX mail.

In order for this to be useful, you will want to set up your e-mail client to deliver this SPAMBOX mail to a special folder (perhaps called spam?) automatically.

Wow, thanks much for that advice! I had been unable to figure out the Spambox feature before but now I've got it working great. Sweet! B)

Hi,

I am no longer getting spam since I activated spam "assasin spam header" with e-mail filtering. My spam mail is not even going to spambox, it is auotomatically discarted when you follow the below rule at Cpanel.

"Hint: To filter all mail that SpamAssasin has marked as spam, just choose "SpamAssassin Spam Header", "begins with", and then enter "Yes" in the box."

If I do get a spam mail once in a while, I check the e-mail properties, look for SpamAssasin marks, and figure out the points. Then I setup SpamAssasin points below what that spam mail requires.

Thank you TCH, I used to get dozens of spam everyday. Rock Sign

Regards,

Vedat Gurtan

Regarding the SPAM box feature. Can the SPAM box be set to purge periodically or does it do this automatically without having to sign in to the CPANEL and do it manually? I would prefer not to have to log in everyday and delete them since my client's web site receives numerous junk emails daily. Thanks for your assistances.

tramadius

Hi Tramadius

If you were to do as I do you will not even get spam mail in your spambox, they will be automatically discarded.

CPanel quote; "Hint: To filter all mail that SpamAssasin has marked as spam, just choose "SpamAssassin Spam Header", "begins with", and then enter "Yes" in the box."

Regards,

Vedat Gurtan

• 2 weeks later...
With the recent upgrades to cPanel, the dev team has been paying more attention to the users of spam assasin.

In the previous build you would need to use a imap client to get to your spambox.

Well not anymore.

You can create a "new" e-mail account that has precisley the same settings as your e-mail account, but add:

In order for this to be useful, you will want to set up your e-mail client to deliver this SPAMBOX mail to a special folder (perhaps called spam?) automatically.

If I understand correctly, this will forward only the spam sent to myname@****.

If you want to review localy all spam sent to **** without using horde etc, could you activate Spam Assassin and set up a filter in the following fashion:

SpamAssassin Spam Header that begins with Yes AND then in the destination box send it to a email address such as spam@****.

Futher, wouldn't you NOT activate the spam box? It would appear to my that if you did, you would get a copy of the message in the spambox. True or false?

My intent is to download this box occasionaly and make sure no valid email was sent to other recipients at **** without having to connect with horde etc.

(BTW, can you access the spambox, if you are using it, with SquirrelMail?)

:D

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Please allow me to elaborate a bit: at first I thought the instructions meant I should create a new mailbox through cPanel, but later I realized it meant in my e-mail CLIENT (e.g. Mozilla, Eudora, or Outlook Express), I should add "/spam" to whichever e-mail account whose spam I wanted to download, like so:

my_mail@someplace.com/spam

As weird as the syntax looks, it works. (And I might add this was about the only time I was happy to see spam show up!) Do that for each account you have.

Live support was not helpful. Following is the transcript of the session.

** You are now speaking with Mike Hermon, Support Department. **

Mike Hermon : Hi Marvin, what can I do for you?

Marvin : Still cannot access SPAM box. The reference you provided is

unclear. I could not create a new mail account with /spam at the

end. The dialog only allows valid domain names.

Mike Hermon : I'm not sure how it is done then, It isnt something we

provide support for, your best bet is to ask on the forums so that

someone that has used it can help you out

Marvin : Unhappy with the response. I was at the forum reference you

provided. It is still unclear

Mike Hermon : I'm sorry, I have already tried to provide more support

for that script than i am supposed to, we dont provide support for

3rd party scrippts

Mike Hermon : I have never used that feature so I dont know how to

set it up

Marvin : Can Ayman help? I see his name in the forum?

Mike Hermon : I havent seen Ayman in months

Marvin : What about Bill Kish?

Mike Hermon : Bill kish is the owner, you can contact him via the

forums

Marvin : Thanks.

I still need to know how to access and use SPAM ASSASIN.

We didnt code the script spam assasin. We dont support it.

Mike made that very clear to you.

Sorry you felt the lilve support wasnt helpful.

Mike sent me a instant message during your chat with him and I instructed him to inform you of the no 3rd party script support.

If you buy a computer from Dell and you do not understand how to use Paint Shop Pro, even if they bundle that software, they will not support it. They will ask you to contact the maker of the software. The support ends as long as the software is installed and working.

There is no difference between the above and your request.

For support on spam assasin please refer to

http://spamassassin.org

They are, afterall the maker of the software.

In view of the fact that you reference Spam Assasin, and in view of the fact that there has been some dialog about it in the forums, I expected that someone knew how to use it.

I respect that you don't support it, but I also expected that there would be some simple instructions regarding its use.

Perhaps another user who has successfully used it can help.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I finally discovered:

Using Outlook Express as my IMAP email client, I had to delete the email account, then add it again. Outlook Express then downloaded my IMAP folders including one called SPAM.

No special ID required, no unusual access necessary.

Marvin

• 3 weeks later...
If you want to review localy all spam sent to **** without using horde etc, could you activate Spam Assassin and set up a filter in the following fashion:

SpamAssassin Spam Header that begins with Yes    AND then in the destination box send it to a email address such as spam@****.

Futher, wouldn't you NOT activate the spam box?   It would appear to my that if you did, you would get a copy of the message in the spambox.  True or false?

My intent is to download this box occasionaly and make sure no valid email was sent to other recipients at **** without having to connect with horde etc.

(BTW, can you access the spambox, if you are using it, with SquirrelMail?)

I'd like to do the same thing for my customer. Since I blundered around a bit looking for the answer, I thought I'd add a few more specifics.

1) Add another e-mail account (something like "spam@****").

2) Under E-mail Filtering, in the drop-boxes select "SpamAssassin Spam Header", "begins with Yes" and then put the name of your spam mailbox in the 'destination' box.

Regards,

Steve W.