Sign in to follow this  
Digirunt

Home Page Changed Without Notification!

OK now I know this is supposed to be impossible, but my homepage just changed to searchhere.com without me recieving any notification at all.

I visited http://ryan-linsley.freeyellow.com/ and followed a link to joina poetry webring and then changed my mind. . .clicked home and . . .wheres google?

I always thought that a users homepage couldn't be changed without some sort of notification as a security messure, has this changed, have they got round it, what next unauthorised installations.

Has anyone any idea how they've done this?

Its like the rudest webtrick out there if it is one.

Mad!!!

Yeah, this is just some crafty page scripting that sneaked past you, not much you can do other than scan your system and make sure there hasn't been any registery changes, then change your homepage back, and make a note to not go to that page again.

I'm moving this to General Software Issues as well, as it would fit better under that category than here. :o

It has happened to me a couple of times and I agree, it is VERY rude! Mad!!! Mad!!!

I think once I inadvertently said "OK" in a dialog box, but the other time I had no indication at all.

I don't know what these people hope to accomplish. No one wants to visit their $&^&*% sites anyway.

Sympathetically,

Dave

digirunt -- just for clarification purposes in case someone reading this message thread may not understand ---

It's not that the actual home page (index.htm/index.html) on *your* web site was changed. Rather, the default web page you have your web browser to go to when you start it up was changed without your permission.

Correct?

-kw

this happened to my wifes machine in the living room the other day.... Mad!!!

I have a utility that prevents a site from changing my browsers default page.

It is called FreshUi from www.freshdevices.com

It has a free registration.

Happend to me a few times when I used that bug ridden piece of filth known as Internet Explorer. B)

Changing your default web browsers homepage is a constant irritation for me. If it is bad for you with a single computer at home listen to what I go through. I teach at a computer lab with 30 computers and students often go to sites that do that without knowing it. I try to teach my students to read things before they say "yes" to them but they aren't that careful a lot of the time and I get adware popping up also. The Internet has become a battle between sites that want to put tons of garbage on your computer and blockers (sometimes very helpful freeware programmers) who help combat the garbage.