Nuking An Os

dakotatech

I need a ‘one click’ method of nuking my OS (W2K).

Requirements:

1. Must be quick. About 60 seconds or so.

2. Must force the majority to reinstall the OS. Not just copy a missing file from the web.

3. Cannot use a boot disk.

For the curious:

I work for a small (9 person) repair company.

We just lost a major client and cutbacks are coming.

I do 90% of the IT/database work in addition to my normal repair duties.

All of the computers are either Acers or Emachines except mine.

Mine is built up and ALL of the software came from disks I own.

The ‘Man’ owns the hardware and I own the software.

The loss of my computer would not hinder the operations of their system.

Thanks

I recently left a company and I cleaned my laptop exquisitely before I left. Uninstall everything, meticulous directory-by-directory cleaning, registry audit, multiple free space wipes, the whole shebang. I did such a nice job that the IT guys though I had formatted the machine and reinstalled Windows, which I hadn't, as I needed the laptop to still be able to connect to the company network. The company claimed I erased confidential and proprietary data and that the loss of said data would hinder their business operations. I disputed the existence of said data (and stated that any data I did have was also located on company servers somewhere) and lawyers got involved. At the end of the day (or rather, after three months of bs) they decided that they had whatever it was they needed, and they never could prove that there was anything of value on the laptop, so I got off. (Not that I did anything wrong.) And all I really wanted to do was clear my mp3 collection and browser history. Just got a little carried away.

Moral of the story, there's no need to go overboard and blow away a machine. You don't need to create more work for someone just because you don't want them to get your data, and if they believe you intentionally caused harm to their business they can take you to court over it. Their mileage may vary depending what state they live in, but it's a hassle regardless. You should be able to clear all your personal stuff and leave them with a functioning machine. Move all your files to a usb drive, and if you can run your programs from the usb drive too. There isn't much that can't be run from a portable drive these days.

Anyway, good luck with all that.

The programs are not my concern as they have the same ones albeit older revisions.

It's the OS I care about. They don't have an independant OS disk. I installed windows 2000 from my own disk.

All of their OS's are the restore disks from Acer and Emachines.

Moral of the story, there's no need to go overboard and blow away a machine. You don't need to create more work for someone just because you don't want them to get your data, and if they believe you intentionally caused harm to their business they can take you to court over it.

To be perfectly honest, they should be reformatting and reinstalling the OS prior to redeploying the machine. That generally is the simplest and quickest way to guarantee they are providing a fully working system to whomever gets it next, since as time goes on most users will install, uninstall, modify, etc... a system to the point that it no longer works as well, or may have other problems from various changes made to the machine.

I generally would not consider wiping a system as creating additional work since to insure a properly working system they should be doing that anyway. The only case you would really create additional work generally, is if you are deleting company data that doesn't exist anywhere else, but if that's the case, you better get a lawyer. ;)