Need Suggestions On What I Have Started

OnlineAutorama

Hi everyone,... I'm not sure that this is in the right area but I'll try it here and see what responses i get.

First off i have no idea on how to create a database. I own Excel and Access if i can use either of these.

But anyway what i have done so far is i gathered websites that carry the products i wanting to use for a Price Comparison Site.

I have 77 Websites which I have added to an Excel Spread Sheet. Lets say 10 of these sites carry the same tires including size, shape, model and make.

Is there a way that i can get Excel to determine this so that it lists these tires in order from cheapest to more expensive?

I'd also like to add an image of the tire also.

I want to do this with Air Intakes, Rims, Accessories and all the parts i can find.

Is Excel the best way to do this and how do i get them to see the items, pictures and prices and stuff. Do i have to create a new Spread Sheet for each of the Price then a new one for model and a new one for make, style and so on?

Some products will have more features than other products. I also want to have a link to the product that is on the website that is selling the product. Just like pricewatch has.

Any help would be very much Appreciated.

If there happens to be a Excel Guru out there that could set this up faster than i can I will owe you BIG time.

Suggestions, Solutions?

Jim.

Hi Jim,

you can do it in excel (it's relatively straightforward if you have the data in there), but that would have the information on your computer, rather than on a web page (and excel is not that good at creating html code).

There is a database system on the server (MySQL) which you can use, and then get PHP to convert the database into web pages. This is a lot more difficult to create than the excel version though.

I'd start of by carefully defining your requirements. What parameters do you want to include ? and when are these the same /different ?

Visit this site. They offer tools to create databases, convert Excel to a database, etc...

Also, I recommend picking up a copy of a PHP programming book or start looking for online tutorials to teach you the basics of PHP programming. Once you have done that you will have the fundamentals for producing the kind of site you want to create.

Visit this site. They offer tools to create databases, convert Excel to a database, etc...

Also, I recommend picking up a copy of a PHP programming book or start looking for online tutorials to teach you the basics of PHP programming. Once you have done that you will have the fundamentals for producing the kind of site you want to create.

Hmm,.. Which program, the Php Magic or the Database Generator? or both lol?

thank you for your help & suggestions.

Jim

I second that, this program is cheap and works as intended. I use this on occasions to migrate my spread sheets to database for quick projects. The last one I converted had 4 sheets and over 3000 entries, and it treats each sheet as a new table. The only thing it doesn't do is things like autoincrement and primary keys, but that is easily done after the data is imported.

Hmm,... How do i know i have Excel setup ready for the conversion?

All i did was in column "A" was to put the url address in it.

Should i use another spread sheet page for the other items or just continue to column "B", "C" and so forth?

Or is there a template that Excel has maybe that I can use to enter the data into?

Jim

What and where are the mysql databases located at?

Is there a port # to it also? see pic.

I just created a new mysql database named test

1.jpg

Jim

P.S. i receive this error uploading a JPG file.

Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is writeable.

I had to use the forums insert message. The upload feature isnt working.

Edited by OnlineAutorama

Host should be the IP address of your server. Port is 3306. You will need to go the the MySQL section in cPanel and add your public IP address to the Access Hosts list at the bottom to allow remote access. You can find your public IP by visiting http://whatismyip.com

Where should the Dot be if i want to connect to the one on my server. Remote right?

Jim

Edited by OnlineAutorama

That would be remotely since the database is on our server and not on your PC.

Yep,.. thats what i thought and as you can see in the picture that is how it's setup but wasnt able to find or see the database i created.

There's only a couple options i didnt know for step 1 and i couldnt even get past it. So by going by that image above what is incorrect about it so i can put in the correct info as i asked before?

Jim