Want to try Wordpress

For those of you wanting to start blogging but have no clue on how to design a theme or wanting to use a theme designed by someone else there is hope.

Wordpress Theme Generator

Dear Bruce:

What a neat site! Just finished perusing it.

I'm still gun-shy. I still only have the Google Blog and I play with it - amusing myself by writing a bit, and adding pictures of my fabulous grandkids and family gatherings ... you know, really fascinating stuff for my plethora of readers. :lol:

I've been looking at Wordpress. I want something that I can just fill in the blanks with "my stuff." Forget learning HTML. I'm one hot flash away from dementia and I'll never understand it.

Wordpress has a lot of attractive templates. I'm wondering if I can put all the photos I've got on my blog onto Wordpress? Not sure if Wordpress does that. I don't want anything fancy on my website ... just a section for photos and a section for things I like to write about. No archives.

Wordpress offers a service where "someone" will set up your computer with Wordpress when you give them access to your computer. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'm a bit concerned that once I get it installed I'll be like a deer caught in the headlights :eek: ... and I wont be able to do the next step! They don't help you with that part. You're on your own now Bucko!

Would I be correct in my assumption that when you pick a template, you have to use all the options on the template - or can you just delete what you're not going to use?

You can try out Word Press

Just go to your cpanel > Fantastico > Word Press

and click install to a folder.

Write down all the details that you install with.

Play with it and try the themes already there.

Then try new themes.

Play with it and try the themes already there.

Then try new themes.

Okay Don. It never occurred to me that I could actually download it and "play" with it. I was a bit concerned that I might lose my stuff on my blog. Yes, I do have it backed up.

I was looking at all the great themes Wordpress has. Man, there's a ton!

I'm in trouble already. :)

I went to cpanel, Fantastico, Wordpress.

I downloaded the program. I don't use Winzip (test expired) and can't open Wordpress. Can u suggest a unzip program I should download?

Just reading the next list of instructions from Wordpress, I already know I'm in over my head. I have no idea what they are talking about. I'm afraid I'm just going to start asking a lot of inane questions and become really annoying.

There is no download or unzip needed if you are using your cpanels fantastico.

Fantastico is an installer that will install the blog for you.

In your cpanel click on fantastico to open it,

then click on Word Press on the left.

Then on the right click on New Installation.

Just give it a directory name and user and password and so forth as prompted.

Don,

When I did exactly what you described last night I was clicking on the Wordpress homepage and trying to install from there! No wonder I was having so much trouble! I failed to observe the highlightable installation paragraph below. Is there any chance it wasn't there? No, of course not. I'm just going blind. :)

I'll get back to you.

Oh dear. I'm back already.

So. I've printed out the first page.

Have you got a minute?

Could you go to the Wordpress fast install via Fantastico?

Let's look at the boxes one by one.

Install on domain: I see my mrsmuddled.com in that box.

Below it is an empty box.

Below that is a note telling me to leave it empty if I want to install it in the root directory of the domain ... etc. Do I want it to install in the root directory of the domain?

If I don't, would you please tell me exactly what you want me to type in that box. I'll follow it.

Now, go down to Admin Access data: What exactly do I type in here?

Now go to Admin nickname: Is that Mrs. Muddled?

Below that I see *****@mrsmuddled.com

Site name - mrsmuddled.com

What do I type where it says Description?

Now go down to Email account config -

I'm assuming I use the password I use in cpanel?

Below that is a note telling me to leave it empty if I want to install it in the root directory of the domain ... etc. Do I want it to install in the root directory of the domain?

If I don't, would you please tell me exactly what you want me to type in that box. I'll follow it.

I would install it in "Test" or something similar, ie a subfolder

Now, go down to Admin Access data: What exactly do I type in here?

You may enter whatever login name and password you want in that box. Whatever you choose, do not forget it since you need this info when you log in to your wordpress admin.

What do I type where it says Description?

You can enter anything you want. I believe it will be editable through the wordpress admin later.

Now go down to Email account config - I'm assuming I use the password I use in cpanel?

This is a new feature for me, I havent seen it in an wordpress installation before but Iwould assume it wants access to an email account since you can post in your blog using email.

Now go down to Email account config - I'm assuming I use the password I use in cpanel?

"This is a new feature for me, I havent seen it in an wordpress installation before but Iwould assume it wants access to an email account since you can post in your blog using email."

Fantastico automatically entered my cpanel account username@mrsmuddled.com in this space. So, I have entered my cpanel password below it. Somehow that seems odd - because I've never used cpanel for email. I'll need a bit more confirmation on that part before I install.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

I have used totally new stuff for the blanks next to Admin access data.

Re the E-mail account config ...

I will leave the first two blanks empty.

What about the entries beside POP/SMTP server and POP/SMTP server port?

I will not be doing any posting by email either.

So, in Base Config where it says Admin e-mail (your email address) it automatically entered my name@mrsmuddled.com.

Do I leave that there?

:) Edited by Mrs. Muddled

You will need to download the theme from where you find one on the web and upload it to your theme folder in (wp-content/themes), if you do it by ftp, you will need to extract the zip file first, if through cpanels file manager you should be able to upload the zip file to the server and extract it there.

Then, go to your wordpress admin page and to the presentation screen and you should see the theme there, now you just have to click the theme to activate it.

I'm going to do it through cpanel file manager. I'm there now and I'm not sure what to do where.

I downloaded the theme zip file to my desktop. I then uploaded it to my cpanel. It is sitting at the bottom of the list. Do I just double click on it to extract it ... or do I have to move it somewhere before I do that?

Did you install Word Press?

Have you logged into the WP admin and try to change themes?

The new theme files need to go into a folder in your wp-content/themes folder

( wp-content/themes/NewThemeFolder )

You say you uploaded to your cpanel?

Not sure what you mean, cpanel is your site manager.

The zip file needs to go into your wp-content/themes folder

then click on it and extract and it should create a new theme folder

If you put the zip file elsewhere it would be better to remove it and upload it to the wp-content/themes folder.

If you use cpanels file manager, click on the zip file, and on the right select extract.

A new window will open showing the extracted files. Close it, you should now see the new folder.

I use an ftp program like CoreFtp as its easier than File Manager.

I uncompress the zip file on my computer and then with ftp program I select the wp-content/themes folder on my site and drag the new theme folder from my computer over to the wp-content/themes folder.

Yes. I did install Wordpress - via Fantastico.

I also tried to download the new theme in Wordpress but was not sure what to do with it once I got to wp-content/themes. I got words like "fatal" when I tried opening things on the page ... that was rather off-putting.

I am now stuck.

I have printed out the instructions Wordpress gives for adding new themes in cpanel.

I am unable to follow them.

I don't see anything like what they are describing in "my" cpanel. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what they are describing?

I've got that zip file with the new theme sitting at the bottom of the list in my cpanel file manager. I accidentally left clicked on it and now it's up in the top right corner giving me several options as to what to do with it.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

Maybe I'm not articulating what I want to do very clearly.

How do I get the zip file with the new template INTO wp-content/themes?

I've been able to get it to my desktop and also to my cpanel. It's now opened in cpanel and made a folder at the top left. I don't know what to do with it now.

I"ve tried following Don's and Thomas's directions ... but I'm not catching on.

Upload the zip file using the cPanel File Manager or an FTP client. Then use the File Manager in cPanel to extract the contents of the zip file. Just be sure to place the zip file in the wp-content/themes folder where ever you installed Wordpress.

Once you have it extracted go into the Wordpress admin interface and select Presentation. The theme you just extracted should be listed. Just select it to make it active.

Hi Bruce!

I'm so sorry for being such a dolt ... but ...

I have the file in cpanel.

I know how to unzip it in cpanel.

My problem is once I get it open ... I don't know what to do next. I need specific instructions as to HOW to get it into Word press and the wp-content/themes folder.

I realize once I figure it out I will be embarrassed ... but so far I can't figure it out.

I've even downloaded the FTP program Don suggested ... and I don't even know what the heck to do with that!

I hope if I get reincarnated I come back smart instead of gorgeous.

When you have unzipped the theme folder in the wp-content > themes, you should have a folder structure looking similar to this (assuming you have wordpress installed in a subfolder):

Sufolders name (name of the folder you installed wp in)

wp-content

themes

classic

your downloaded themes name

Now, please go to your-tch-hosted-domain.com/subfoldername/wp-login.php and log in using the info you entered as log in info when you set up wp through Fantastico.

When you have logged in:

Tab #6 from the left should be named "Presentation", please click it.

Under "Available themes" you should see all themes currently uploaded to wp (those in the themes in the folder structure above)

Click the image under the your downloaded themes name.

WP will activate it and when it´s done you can scroll back up to the top of page and right-click the "View site" link to see the new theme installed.

Thanks for your helpful tips - but I think I'm going to have to call it quits. I can get as far as opening the welcome to WordPress presentation page you describe, and I can open the two default themes that appear there, but that's as far as I can get. I have actually made a post and tried the default theme AND IT WORKS! I still don't understand how to get my theme of choice into the presentation section.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled

ok ... I'll send pm

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm back and I'm prepared to grovel for assistance. :(

This is what I want to do.

Can you give me really simple answers that I can follow? Don't even think about explaining "how" it works - it will just confuse the heck out of me. There are too many instructions in WordPress and they are waaaaay above my level of expertise. The more I read the more confused I get.

I don't want to do anything fancy. I just want really basic stuff on these webpages - a few tabs and a few pages and hopefully I can figure out the rest.

1. How do I change and work with the three tabs at the top of the body of my template SpringFlower 1.0 by Romow.com?

2. How do I get rid of the things on the left column that I don't want, like catagories and blogroll and archives?

3. How do I change the words "Spring Blog" that appear in the picture at the top of the template to words that I want - but not lose the fancy font or colours?

4. How do I put things in the order I want them to appear.

Edited by Mrs. Muddled
1. How do I change and work with the three tabs at the top of the body of my template SpringFlower 1.0 by Romow.com?

First you need to create pages for About and Links. Once you have done that you need to edit the header.php file and enter the reference link for each in the map area. Look for the "#" symbols.

2. How do I get rid of the things on the left column that I don't want, like catagories and blogroll and archives?

For this you will need to edit the sidebar.php file that came with the theme. Just delete these lines:

><div class="nav">

<h2>Categories</h2>

<ul class="nav">
<?php wp_list_categories('title_li=0'); ?>
</ul>

</div>

<div class="nav">

<h2>Blogroll</h2>

<ul class="nav">
<?php /* If this is the frontpage */ if ( is_home() || is_page() || is_single) { ?>
<?php wp_list_bookmarks('categorize=0&title_li=0'); ?>
</ul>

</div>

3. How do I change the words "Spring Blog" that appear in the picture at the top of the template to words that I want - but not lose the fancy font or colours?

Not easily I'm afraid, the header is 3 image files made up of spring_01.jpg, spring_02.jpg and spring_03.jpg and the text is embedded in the images.

EDIT: If you can edit PSD files look in the PSD folder they include the project file and you would be able to edit it.

4. How do I put things in the order I want them to appear.

Not sure what you are asking here?

Going back to your first response.

When I click on HOME ABOUT and LINKS I get nowhere. HOW do I start a page for them? I have been able to start pages that were not connected to those tabs ... but I don't know how to get into the codes.

Something I've noticed. When I copy and paste HTML from my Google Blog into this new Wordpress template ... things like my photos and my links appear as code rather than links. How come? What to do to correct this?

Going back to your first response.

When I click on HOME ABOUT and LINKS I get nowhere. HOW do I start a page for them? I have been able to start pages that were not connected to those tabs ... but I don't know how to get into the codes.

If you look at the header.php file you will see that that is an image map. There are map coordinates and the "href" anchors are part of them. If you look you will see there are two "#" symbols where the pages you want to add would go. The Home button is linking to "index.php".

I am currently at work or I would past the code section here for you to see. But it's there.

Something I've noticed. When I copy and paste HTML from my Google Blog into this new Wordpress template ... things like my photos and my links appear as code rather than links. How come? What to do to correct this?

Where are you pasting them? Are you using a text editor? A php file is just like an html file but you need to make sure you place the code in the right sections.

Where are you pasting them? Are you using a text editor? A php file is just like an html file but you need to make sure you place the code in the right sections.

I went to the editor on my Google blog - where I first wrote my story and uploaded a picture or animation for the top. I selected everything on that page of code and copied it. I then opened a page in the new WP template and pasted that code in. Everything worked in WP until it hit a link or any special formatting like bold etc.

For the Home, About and links, insert the urls in the bold part of this code in header.php, upload and check that it works.
Thomas,

Am I to do this by going to Presentation - Theme Editor? It says at the bottom of the pages of code that "if they were writeable they could be edited." I assumed that meant I couldn't edit them.

When you say put in the URL's I'm not sure what you mean. For example HOME ... what would the URL be for that ... or for LINK ... or ABOUT? I don't get that at all. Isn't HOME www.mrsmuddled.com? I'm confused.

Do you still have the access to the test pages?

Ya ... it's difficult when you aren't right here, looking at the screen. There is so much I don't comprehend that I think I'll give it a break and go to the gym and work out for a couple of hours. That's gotta be better for me than trying to figure this stuff out. :potofgold:

Thanks a bunch guys!