Wordpress Theme Issues

jamestl2

So I decided I wanted to try a few different wordpress themes to get a feel for them.

After I finish downloading a theme just fine, I click on “new theme activated: view site” to see how everything looks, which is normal, but then I click on my different category pages, archives, etc. and it reverts back to the “default theme” I originally had installed, even when I click back button, the homepage will change back to "default".

It seem like my site is “stuck” with the default theme. I’ve also tried changing the permissions, without success though. My version is the newly released 2.2.

Anyone know the source of my problem?

Thanks

Have you made sure that you have uploaded everything to the server (including the folder) and kept the file structure?

I'm pretty sure that is what I did, just to be sure, I'll give you my step-by-step:

1. Found theme and downloaded the folder to the desktop

2. FTP'd the compressed folder to cPanel

3. Extracted its zipped contents in cPanel

4. Theme showed up in Presentation tab of wordpress dashboard

5. Started encountering problems I mentioned earlier, once I activated the new theme

Ok, that one displays fine on my test site.

So if you are clicking on links and they are not displaying properly maybe you have your permalinks messed up and it's not finding everything the way it should. Without seeing your directory layout and your .htaccess there is no way for me to determine the cause.

Temporarily disable your permalinks and see what happens.

Disabling my permalinks seemed to do the trick (set it to default structure), but does that mean everytime I change my theme I have to change my permalink structure? I wanted to keep the custom structure I already had (not to mention that is how Google, Yahoo, etc. read all my indexed pages).

Because after I change the theme and set default permalinks so everything is working again, I changed it back to my custom structure and updated, but then it would go right back to my "default theme".

EDIT: I also tried this with other themes, but same issues arose.

Edited by jamestl2

You shouldn't have to change your permalink structure once you set it except when you upgrade your Wordpress. Sometimes they tell you to update your permalink structure.

I just wanted you to test that theory. If you put your custom structure back does it continue to work? If not maybe there is something in your custom structure that's not quite right.

So does the problem have something to do with my site? Or is there anything I could test to change like permissions in a particular theme, specific code to enter in my permalink structure, etc.

Edited by jamestl2

You could try to set up another wordpress blog in a test folder in your account (use fantastico).

Then install a theme I know that works. You can find the silver lexus theme here.

Do not use any permalinks, just a "out-of-the box-installation".

Then let us know if that works. ;)

Still the same, I don't think it is the theme's fault, because everything is fine when I change the permalink structure, it just reverts to the default theme with my custom structure is activated, so I am guessing my error lies within the custom permalink code, which was entered as:

/%category%/%postname%/

EDIT: This also only happens when I connect to my site in a new browser window. For example, I will click the "refresh" button to see what it would look like in that new window. After I did that I went back to my presentations tab in the dashboard and it went back to default for some reason, only after I checked it in a new window.

Edited by jamestl2

I don't buy it. Check the link I PM'd to you. I put your custom struture in the permalinks and all themes (using theme switcher) hold.

This blog works fine in my browser, its just when I try to load my site in my browser window it seems to revert back to the default theme.

I don't buy it either. There is nothing to change when you upload a theme. If you are messing with any permissions you're thinking too hard. Unzip, upload, select it. That's it.

You have a link or something to a WordPress site where the theme is not working? As far as I can tell, the site in your sig is still using the default.

I also tried this on a couple other computers and the same thing happened. As soon as I access it, the homepage will display a new theme, but when I click on an internal link, it still goes back to the default theme, I have no idea why.

I don't buy it either. There is nothing to change when you upload a theme. If you are messing with any permissions you're thinking too hard. Unzip, upload, select it. That's it.

You have a link or something to a WordPress site where the theme is not working? As far as I can tell, the site in your sig is still using the default.

Yes, i'm reffering to the site in my sig.

Edited by jamestl2

Just upload the zip file for the theme into the themes folder and then use the extract function in the file manager to install a theme. You can use the File Manager to upload the file as well.

Tried uploading and unzipping in multiple ways (including the way you mentioned), but it still seems to change back to the default theme.

Have you tried

unzipping to a folder on your computer

then with ftp copy the new theme folder to your sites theme folder?

Yep, tried that too.

Might it have something to do with the mySQL database, or maybe it requires certain permissions of the theme being uploaded specifically?

Well i've been working on my test blog and created a couple random posts and permalinks for it, and the theme doesn't seem to have any problems attached to the test, but it is not the 2.2 version.

Edited by jamestl2

Is your main installation of Wordpress installed in the root of the public_html folder or is it in a sub folder? If it's in a sub folder how are you doing your redirection to have it appear when you go to your domain name?

A suggestion would be to save a copy of your wp-config.php file for your site. Then wipe out everything and reinstall Wordpress in your public_html folder. Then copy back your wp-config.php file and you'll be up and running. You may need to change some information in you Admin panel.

If you go this route, please make a backup first.

Is your main installation of Wordpress installed in the root of the public_html folder or is it in a sub folder? If it's in a sub folder how are you doing your redirection to have it appear when you go to your domain name?

A suggestion would be to save a copy of your wp-config.php file for your site. Then wipe out everything and reinstall Wordpress in your public_html folder. Then copy back your wp-config.php file and you'll be up and running. You may need to change some information in you Admin panel.

If you go this route, please make a backup first.

It is not in a subfolder, it was a while back, but I moved it to the public_html root folder. Are you sure all I need to save is the wp-config.php file? because I still have plugins, content, etc. Would I then delete the newly created wp-config.php file?

Also the site works fine under the default permalink structure, just the custom one appears messed up.

Edited by jamestl2

You have plugins? You never said anything about plugins... Have you tried disabling them and trying your new themes?

I didn't realize plugins made a difference (I only had a few installed).

EDIT: Appareantly they didn't I tried deactivating them, but the theme still changed ( I had the following ones installed: Adman, TDOMF, All in one SEO pack, and Google Sitemaps)

Edited by jamestl2

We can't seem to find a solution for you. So maybe saving your plugin files and wp-content.php file and deleting everything and reinstalling is in order. Since none of us can see your structure or your .htaccess contents or your Admin interface we're flying blind here.

Please backup your current stuff before you start.

So what else am I suppose to do with this "test blog"?

You're supposed to install it using the same version as your live blog. Leave all settings as default including permalinks, plugins, etc. Upload a theme and try it. Watch it work. Change your permalink structure. See if that breaks it. Upload and activate a plugin. See if that breaks it. Upload and activate your next plugin. See if that breaks it. Upload and activate your next plugin. See if that breaks it. And so on and so forth. Go through every change you have made from the default setup to what you have now on your live blog. Eventually you will come to whatever it is that broke it.

Or, copy your wp-config.php and /wp-content and reinstall.

Outside of that, like Bruce said, without access to your files (or even a link to a test blog that isn't working) there isn't really much we can do. WP works fine, and Bruce has that theme working on his test site, so it's something to do with your configuration.

Well, first, here is the code to my .htaccess file:

># -FrontPage-

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /wordpress-2.2/wordpress/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /wordpress-2.2/wordpress/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Not sure if viewing the wp-config.php code would help either, but I could also post additional code.

Second, if there is any way I can give you temporary access to my admin panel, I would gladly do so.

If neither of these things work, I would only want to reinstall and redownload everything as a last resort.

Do not post the contents of your wp-config.php it contains your database name and password.

Your problem is you have two wordpress rewrites in your .htaccess file. Your .htaccess file should contain only this.

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

# END WordPress

Do not post the contents of your wp-config.php it contains your database name and password.

Your problem is you have two wordpress rewrites in your .htaccess file. Your .htaccess file should contain only this.

Yes, this did the trick.

I'll post back if I encounter any more problems

Thanks everyone

Well, now my problems sort-of returned. Earlier this afternoon, I finished designing my site with a new theme and began to market it. Later (a few minutes ago) I noticed it had randomly changed back to the default theme. I wasn't even logged in or anything when it did. Is there something I am suppose to do to "secure" my new theme, or is this just a glitch?

I changed it back to my new theme just now, but I don't know how long it will stay there for.

If you have updated/played around with either permalinks or the htaccess file in general, you should first check Bruce´s "Your problem is you have two wordpress rewrites in your .htaccess file" a little bit back in this thread, since that fixed it earlier.

It happened again last night (my computer was off) so it wasn't a "one time thing".

If you have updated/played around with either permalinks or the htaccess file in general, you should first check Bruce´s "Your problem is you have two wordpress rewrites in your .htaccess file" a little bit back in this thread, since that fixed it earlier.

I did change it to what Bruce said and it hasn't changed. If by "playing around" you mean editing my theme, I have done that, but I haven't touched my .htaccess file or my permalinks, which are still: /%category%/%postname%/ . Also here is the code I was told to type in the .htaccess file, which it is right now:

># BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Edited by jamestl2

Well, now my problems sort-of returned. Earlier this afternoon, I finished designing my site with a new theme and began to market it. Later (a few minutes ago) I noticed it had randomly changed back to the default theme. I wasn't even logged in or anything when it did. Is there something I am suppose to do to "secure" my new theme, or is this just a glitch?

I changed it back to my new theme just now, but I don't know how long it will stay there for.

I've been using Wordpress for several years and helping others install and update over those same years and I have never had anyone have the problems you are encountering.

UPDATE: TCH-MikeJ tells me that he has seen this happen while editing a theme. But he was able to reset the theme to the one he wanted without any difficulty.

I've been using Wordpress for several years and helping others install and update over those same years and I have never had anyone have the problems you are encountering.

UPDATE: TCH-MikeJ tells me that he has seen this happen while editing a theme. But he was able to reset the theme to the one he wanted without any difficulty.

So are you saying that I can't edit custom themes to fit the way I need them without it reverting back? (The only editing I did with my downloaded themes was with the header and footer.)

By reset do you mean reinstall? Or just setting it in the dashboard? (I tried resetting it in the wordpress dashboard, but it would go back at random even after I "reset" it to my custom theme.)

Also, when TCH-MikeJ chose the one he wanted, was he still able to edit it to his needs?

I've seen it happen while making changes in the admin interface. Editing the theme itself shouldn't have any problems.

And I've only seen it happen a couple times, never consistently so I've never figured out why it happened, but my themes stick now.

I've seen it happen while making changes in the admin interface. Editing the theme itself shouldn't have any problems.

And I've only seen it happen a couple times, never consistently so I've never figured out why it happened, but my themes stick now.

Alright thanks,

Doesn't sound like the cause of my switching problem is in the admin panel though. For example I won't even be online when it jumps back (And I have made sure before that it is at the new theme right before I close out of everything).

Right now I see a new theme on your site and am able to browse posts and pages without issue. Get it figured out?

Yeah, for now everything is working fine because I switched it back to the custom theme in my admin dashboard. But for some reason later it will jump back to the default theme, it happened last night too. It was on the new theme when I logged off, shut down, etc. then when I woke up this morning it was back to the default theme for some reason.

Are you sure someone doesn't have access to your WP admin panel? Are they messing with you changing themes on you?

Not that I now of, even if they did, why would they only change it to the default theme? I never told anyone my username or password, unless they hacked somehow, I am unsure.

Um, somewhat unrelated, but I'd point out that you probably don't want to have your e-mail address sitting out there in all of its spam-attracting unobfuscated glory.

On my WP site, I use a plugin called "WPContactForm" ( http://www.douglaskarr.com/projects/wp-contactform/ ) It's a pretty good plugin that includes CAPTCHA protection, and anti-XSS protection.

I'd been using a separate contact plugin, but I was getting 20+ Spam comments a day. Now I'm only getting legitimate messages. (What is cool is it is easy to change the CAPTCHA question, so even if some bot gets your info programmed into it, you can just change the captcha question.)

Anyway, hope this helps protect your e-mail box from the SPAM you WILL GET if you continue to publish your e-mail address like it is currently posted on your site.

Hope the theme thing stays working. I'm viewing your site now, and I like the new theme. I think it looks very professional.

Um, somewhat unrelated, but I'd point out that you probably don't want to have your e-mail address sitting out there in all of its spam-attracting unobfuscated glory.

On my WP site, I use a plugin called "WPContactForm" ( http://www.douglaskarr.com/projects/wp-contactform/ ) It's a pretty good plugin that includes CAPTCHA protection, and anti-XSS protection.

I'd been using a separate contact plugin, but I was getting 20+ Spam comments a day. Now I'm only getting legitimate messages. (What is cool is it is easy to change the CAPTCHA question, so even if some bot gets your info programmed into it, you can just change the captcha question.)

Anyway, hope this helps protect your e-mail box from the SPAM you WILL GET if you continue to publish your e-mail address like it is currently posted on your site.

Hope the theme thing stays working. I'm viewing your site now, and I like the new theme. I think it looks very professional.

Thanks for the plugin advice I'll check it out. The new theme is staying for now, but I'm sure it will change back randomly at some point later today.

I still see the new theme?

That's because I reapplied the new theme after I found out the fact that it went back to the default theme. Eventually it will switch back though, according to this pattern.

Edited by jamestl2

Ok, I just looked and it's back to the default theme. When you login to you admin panel and select presentation what theme is set when this happens?

If it's the default something is changing your database without your knowledge. Use the phpAdmin function in cPanel and run a repair on the database. Make a backup first.

Then reset the theme to the one you want to use. Have you brought this up on the Wordpress support forums?

Ok, I just looked and it's back to the default theme. When you login to you admin panel and select presentation what theme is set when this happens?

If it's the default something is changing your database without your knowledge. Use the phpAdmin function in cPanel and run a repair on the database. Make a backup first.

Then reset the theme to the one you want to use. Have you brought this up on the Wordpress support forums?

If by what it is currently, right when I logged on today, then yes it is the default theme.

I also ran a repair (It only took like 2 seconds), and reapplied my new theme.

I have brought this up in the forums, and a couple other people have been having this problem too but they can’t seem to find the solution either.

Do you guys want me to leave my theme, dashboard, etc. alone so you can find the problem? (because it went back to default again) Or will it make a difference if I try to change settings in there etc. by keep switching it back?

WP reverts to default theme on file access collision: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3907

Not sure what would be causing that on such a regular basis for you though.

One user's solution was to name her custom theme's folder to "default", so WP would "revert" to the correct theme. That's one way I guess.

Interestingly enough, this thread is #7 in Google for "wordpress 2.2 theme reverts to default." Helpful.

WP reverts to default theme on file access collision: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3907

Say, do you know wher I would put that code?

Would it go in the style.css?

One user's solution was to name her custom theme's folder to "default", so WP would "revert" to the correct theme. That's one way I guess.

This wouldn't cause anything serious like bugs or system crashes, would it?

Edited by jamestl2