Googlebot Errors

A while back when I was trying to organize files on cpanel, I created an additional "Web Pages" folder within the "public-html" folder. I was trying to create a redirect through the "Web Pages" folder. But now that I got all my pages back under "public-html" I no longer needed the "web pages" folder so I deleted it.

So my problem is that Google still detects 10-12 web pages through my "Web Pages" folder I deleted on Google's "Webmaster Tools / Crawl Errors" page.

If there are any ideas as how to remove the errors I would appreciate it.

Thanks

As far as I know it can take several months to get something removed from googles index and have google re index it.

I would set up a 404 error page with a "home link" so the visitors gets to know the page does not exist and can go to the homepage and choose the correct link.

If I am understanding right, these pages are no longer there and have returned to their original place in public_html?

As Google scans your site, it will find the pages where they are and it will see the ones that are no longer there and drop them after a few crawls so if your only concern is to make the links in Google to the Web Pages folder disappear it will happen by itself and probably can't be "hurried up" since Google works at Google-speed.

If you have a good placement in Google for the pages in the Web Pages folder then you would want to do the permanent redirect from Cpanel or .htaccess so that placement will carry over to the public_html pages. If the public_html pages are ranking well on their own, especially if it's a young site, then the benefit of the redirect will be minimal.

Edit (added): By the way, don't create "fake" pages -- either redirect or let Google sort it out and drop them. While I'm at it, insert standard disclaimer here that Google's not the only game in town. Don't neglect the other popular search engines people use because they are using portals such as AOL, MSN, etc.

Edited by Deverill

I still feel lost,

I reviewed an XML sitemap I created, and none of the pages' pathname contains the "Web Pages" folder in its code, however a few minutes after I submitted the map to Google, it started indexing pages with the "Web Pages" folder in the pathname (As if the XML map had the "Web Pages" Pathname in them).

I didn't feel I should create a redirect because my pages are still very new and it would not affect their PR.

It seems as if the sitemap generator I am using is detecting the "Web Pages" folder in CPanel somewhere, I am unsure

Edited by jamestl2

Here's a couple of things:

1. Google can't see into your cPanel. It doesn't have your password and wouldn't even try. I've not used the sitemap generator but it would look at your directory structure and/or links, not cPanel.

2. The sitemap is not the primary tool Google uses. It looks for pages by following links on pages in already knows about. If you linked to any of the new pages from your site, Google would have found them that way.

3. I agree about not doing a redirect - new pages won't make that much of a difference. Changes that affect Google happen over time.

The single best advice I can give (for whatever it's worth) is to make sure you have no links to those pages either on your site or in the sitemap file and then relax and let Google sort it out. There is nothing you can do to hurry it along and the "damage" done is minimal, if it even exists. It will work itself out.