Mapping Drives

MikeW

The company I work for is quite small, so it isn't really too feasable to host our own site/email.

We are bringing in a new application that utilizes some web services.

The new app will create PDF files that get saved to a mapped drive on a web server.

Now, I know I can easily do this if we host our own site.

Would I be able to do this if I were to have our company move our site and email services to TCH (we're moving hosting providers anyway so...I couldn't think of a better place than where I host my site - TCH).

Thanks,

MikeW

Hey Mike, Lets see if I can the questions I "think" you are trying to ask :tchrocks:

Would I be able to do this if I were to have our company move our site and email services to TCH

I think so but not exactly the way you are doing it now. You can create the pdf's and then make those files available to view or download from TCH.

The mapping part is what will throw everything off. I will assume you have an "INTRAnet" or local network where this application runs and you all share the output files. The sharing is done via a "mapped" drive which is all fine in that setup. But mapping a drive across the "INTERnet" is NOT a wise thing to do security wise. Mapping is just a simple way to reference a drive with a shorter name.

So forget the mapping part and check to make sure you will be able to view or download the files with a browser or ftp client from TCH. I know its possible, I just don't know what you are currently doing to access those files on your INTRAnet. Mabye the application you mentioned requires you to access these files from a mapped drive.

I didn't think it would be too wise.

I know I can do it for an INTRAnet site.

I'm basically trying to come up with a way that I can get the company to utilize TCH as their Web and Email host AND get these files to the web server in some sort of automatigical way.

I didn't think it would be too wise.

I know I can do it for an INTRAnet site.

I'm basically trying to come up with a way that I can get the company to utilize TCH as their Web and Email host AND get these files to the web server in some sort of automatigical way.

At this point I don't have enough information to give you a yes or no answer. Maybe if you explained a little more, give us the application name, what it does, what you use to access those files on the web server.

At this point I don't have enough information to give you a yes or no answer. Maybe if you explained a little more, give us the application name, what it does, what you use to access those files on the web server.

Basically we are going to bring in a LIMS system (XT-LIMS to be exact - http://www.xt-lims.com/index.html (doesn't give much info at all at the site)).

The LIMS System will generate a report; to which, then will be converted to a PDF file and saved to a drive somewhere.

Now, they were going to set it up here in-house going with an assumption that we have a INTERnet web server in place already; however, we don't so they (the vendor of the app) state that they simply set up this LIMS Server (Win2K3 Server with their app and an Oracle Dbase) to export the said PDF Files to what they call the Client Access to Files Server, which is simply a Win2K3 Web server with Apache and Tomcat on it here at our site.

With us being such a small company, I'd prefer not to bring in a INTERnet web server. I guess I basically want to know if it is possible for an internal application server to export files to an external webserver via mapped drives

OR if anyone has any other idea on how I might be able to get us to use TCH and get these files "automagically" on to the web server.

Does that explain it any better?

Take a look at AutoFTP and AutoFTP Service.

One of those two apps should be able to solve half the problem. The other thing you would need to do is clear the folder where the files are you are uploading so they don't get uploaded over and over wasting your bandwidth.

Actually any FTP client that supports scripting and synchronization should be all you need to upload the files to an external server.