I've been reading a couple of threads about the filtering. Excuse me ignorance, but is the fact I get 70+ spam mails a day to any address with my domain, the same issue that everyone else is having? I mean anything with my domain attached gets through.

If not, any words of advice on this?

Thanks

Jim

Yes, in cpanel > email > default address

set it to :fail:

that will turn off the catch all or any name at.

Create a real account

set up forwards to replace alias and forward to real address

This is what I did and no more spam.

Yes, in cpanel > email > default address

set it to :fail:

that will turn off the catch all or any name at.

Create a real account

set up forwards to replace alias and forward to real address

This is what I did and no more spam.

Will try it, thanks! good.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi Don,

I get the "fail: bit (and set up my account accordingly). But I don't understand what you mean after that about creating a "real" account and setting up forwards [what forwards?] to replace alias [what alias?] and forward (?) to "real" address?

Also, while I was setting up the default address per your instructions, I finally figured discovered how to get the server to delete rather than deliver emails that are tagged as spam by SpamAssassin: cpanel > Mail > SpamAssassin. Having done that now it will presumably stop the glutting of my email quota.

Did you hear about the Spam King getting busted? He lived right here in my hometown of Seattle:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/317795_soloway31.html

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/318094_soloway01.html

"One expert estimated that the man...sent millions, perhaps even tens of millions, of e-mails a day."

"With three other servers connected to him, investigators believe he sent 120 million e-mails to nearly 80,000 addresses. He used a controversial software called Dark Mailer, which investigators say lets users tap into a network of zombie proxy computers to send bulk e-mails with near-total anonymity."

YIKES!

He was especially noisome because "he used Web domains and e-mail addresses of other people to hide his identity. In those cases, unsuspecting victims often ended up on blacklists of accused spammers."

Nice (albeit naive) to think this guy's removal might actually make a dent in the proliferation of spam.

Thanks as always for the help and advice in all things Total Choice.

John

I get the "fail: bit (and set up my account accordingly). But I don't understand what you mean after that about creating a "real" account and setting up forwards [what forwards?] to replace alias [what alias?] and forward (?) to "real" address?

Can I work by example. Lets say that you want to check email at 2 accounts person1@domain_at_tch.com and person2@domain_at_tch.com but you would also like to set up some accounts web_contacts@domain_at_tch.com and possible_email_harvesters@domain_at_tch.com ( I usually have a temporary account I give to people when I think they could also add me to unwanted lists -= that way I can remove the address at any time).

The first thing to do is create the real accounts person1@domain_at_tch.com and person2@domain_at_tch.com

Then set forwards up for web_contacts@domain_at_tch.com and possible_email_harvesters@domain_at_tch.com to person1@domain_at_tch.com

Then set the default for unrouted email to :fail: (remembering the two colons)