Issues With Windows Xp And Hewlett Packard Computer

Mrs. Muddled

I received this email from a very elderly lady today. I would really like to help her solve this issue before I tell her just to take the computer to a repair shop (which she can ill-afford). She struggles mightily just with day to day tasks: "Firstly, my virus program is Norton; my firewall is Windows and Norton. My o/s is Windows XP. I have a Hewlett/Packard Office Jet 5500 series all-in-one desktop (a combination fax, scan, print, copy, set-up). In my humble opinion I believe I have a Windows problem and not an H/P one, although the problem has affected some of the H/P programs. Here's a summary of the occurrence that resulted from certain changes I made to my desktop, and promoted my problems: I accessed "Display" in the Control panel in order to change some of my desktop features, which utilizes the Display Adapter (video card) for this change to occur; I have performed this exercise a few previous times with great success, and it is a permitted use. I wanted to change my desktop appearance and clicked the required tabs. The result this time: half the background on my screen has the selected feature, Windows Classic blue, including all icons thereon, and the other half of my screen is white, NOTHING ELSE. NEXT: I am unable to use System restore in order to choose an earlier date; some of my H/P programs, i.e. Director, etc. are no longer accessible. I have no Internet issues. My warranty ran out a month ago, but I decided in desperation to pay for the Help and Support service H/P provides. I had to pay up-front with my credit card, received little help from the techies in India (yes, H/P has out-sourced its technical help to other countries such as India, Turkey, etc.). I was offered many different suggestions as to how to solve the problem, (I could barely understand the corrupted language) . I followed each instruction diligently but without success. I have paid for a "no solution" service. I spoke with the computer techie at Staples, where I purchased this computer a year ago in February and he was not at all helpful except to tell me to reboot, which I have done a hundred times. I believe the cause of my inability to uninstall my Windows XP from the original disc results from the fact I downloaded an updated version of Windows XP from Microsoft some time ago, now my original disc will not complete the uninstall because of the updated version I have of Windows. I am told not to delete the new Windows XP but to boot up from the original c.d. and then install the older version with a different file name. I tried that and clicked a new window to receive it; it does not work. Believe me when I say I have tried everything in the book to try and resolve my problem. Formatting appears to be my only option,."

So, does any of that "problem" leap out at you? I've already told her to make sure she doesn't have a checkmark in the System Restore box that turns it off. Beyond that, I'm out of my depth.

Sounds like she turned on the option to display a web page on the Desktop.

To turn this option off:

Right click an empty space on desktop. Choose Properties.

In the Display Properties window go to the Desktop tab and click the Customize Desktop button.

Click the Web tab and uncheck all entries in the Web Page box.

Click OK button until all windows are closed.

NEXT: I am unable to use System restore in order to choose an earlier date; some of my H/P programs, i.e. Director, etc. are no longer accessible.

The System Restore feature in Windows XP probably is not working the way you expect but is working the way it was "designed" to work. What I mean is that once you turn it ON, that is the starting point from which you can restore. If you turn it off all the "points" previously saved will be deleted and you have to turn it back on and you get a new set of points starting from then. You can't turn it on and restore from a date previous to that time.

I believe the cause of my inability to uninstall my Windows XP from the original disc results from the fact I downloaded an updated version of Windows XP from Microsoft some time ago, now my original disc will not complete the uninstall because of the updated version I have of Windows. I am told not to delete the new Windows XP but to boot up from the original c.d. and then install the older version with a different file name. I tried that and clicked a new window to receive it; it does not work. Believe me when I say I have tried everything in the book to try and resolve my problem.

Ok, is this a new or another problem? Why are you uninstalling XP? I am not sure what is being said or why you are "uninstalling" the OS.

If all she did was make some changes to her display properties she should be able to just undo them. I'm not sure what the relationship is between changing the desktop and HP programs ceasing to function, but one thing at a time I guess. There's no reason at this point to be reinstalling Windows - just undo the display changes that were made and go from there.

some of my H/P programs, i.e. Director, etc. are no longer accessible.

HP Director is a software program that is installed by the HP All in One Printer. If there are problems you should get the CD and uninstall the printer software and reinstall it.

But I agree with heyguy, you've lumped all these problems together and you will need to work thru them one at a time. I don't think they are linked at the moment.

My friend has sent me this message after she followed your various instructions:

"Thank you for providing the help I needed to resolve my Display problem. I was able to click my desktop back to its original state. (Yip-pee!). However, the info I received concerning some of my H/P programs was that I should uninstall my printer (5500 series) and then reinstall it. I have done this twice before but I thought I'd give it the old college try one more time.Now I cannot access the System Restore at all, nor the H/P Director. However, I am going to live with those problems as I can still use my computer for other purposes, including accessing the Internet. The message I received when attempting to access the H/P Director was as follows: "hpqselsk.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". There followed this bright gem:: "Please tell Microsoft about this problem". I say "NUTS", this is an H/P problem and not a Microsoft one. So, apparently, the above-named file has been corrupted and it probably applies to the System Restore problem as well, who knows"