Piggie Dies

TCH-Thomas

Our beloved Guinea Pig, Piggie, is about to leave us.

She came to us a little more than 6 years ago. On the past Saturday she showed signs that something is wrong as in lots of coughing, tiredness, wanting less and less food and water.

The vet was called this morning but they had no time until tomorrow.

Today she have gotten weaker all day, so if the vet can not do any magic, the decision has been taken to let her finally meet, Ginnie, her friend that passed away 2.5 years ago.

Aww. I use to have a guinea pig named "Piggie" too, she was our families first Guinea Pig. She only lived four years. Then we got another one, because we loved Piggie so much.

I am sure Piggie had a good life, six years is exceptional for a Guinea Pig.

Did yours have any funny little habits? Both of ours use to squeak if we snapped scissors, because they knew that sound meant we were going to go outside and possibly bring in a handful of grass! (the green backyard kind people!)

;)

zoey

Update:

Piggie sure is a fighter!

She have now been sort of forced fed with tomato. She ate it like she had never seen food before.

Before this, she made one huge cough.

After the tomato and the cough, her eyes seems to say "Don´t worry dad, I will fight this" and I saw a fighting spirit I have never seen in any animal or human before.

A little later today we will try to force feed her some water. Just have to figure out the best way to do that.

Keep fighting little girl. :flex: :(

Yesterday evening when we tried force feeding her, she took three bites of a tomato and a tiny piece of a cucumber. Not much coughing most of the afternoon/evening.

Today she had some cucumber and then after a while, she walked from one corner to another. Biggest move in days.

Lot´s of coughing though, and except from the short walk, she looks weaker.

Vet appointment is today at 3.45pm (swe time).

Piggie was brought to the Vet today and we did not really think there was something that could be done for Piggie.

Well guys, Piggie came back home!

She have a heart problem, the left side of the heart is bigger than the rest of the heart. This is something that Guinea Pigs can get, the older they get. This heart problem shows, as it have shown to us in the past few days, not wanting to eat or drink, not wanting to do anything, fluids in the lungs.

Piggie now have 2 medicines that we will need to give her (by force if needed).

Next scheduled Vet visit is next Wednesday and if she haven´t responded well to the medicines by then, the decision needs to be taken again, but we are aiming at a 7th birthday in October.

Piggie, Jessica, Piggie, Gissa, Gucci and myself would like to thank each and everyone for your support (and we hope that we will not need to break these good news next week)! :)

Just a quick update to everyone.

Piggie is responding well to the meds and have gotten her appetite back.

Today she got salad as every Friday and it was yummy. Now it´s just getting her to drink water left and she is back to being Piggie.

:) Way to GO!!! :thumbup:

So glad you have a vet that knows Guinea Pigs well. It makes all the difference in the world!

That and the close special care and notice that you give her. Your quick notice of changes is important.

Looking forward to that 7th birthday party!! :)

So glad you have a vet that knows Guinea Pigs well.

Piggies "own" vet is an expert on birds not guinea pigs. But she consulted her colleagues this time and it seems to work.

If not earlier, next report will be on Wednesday after the visit to the vet.

Piggie are now back from todays checkup and the Vet says that Piggie are doing very well considering what happened to her. The vet subscribed some heart med.

She will need to take this heart med for the rest of her life, a crushed pill mixed with water given through a syringe.

The meds that she has been taking this week have also been given through a syringe which went fine since she was very down. Now when she is much better, she hates the syringe and does everything she can think of, to make it harder for us to give her the meds. Wish us luck! ;)

Woohoo, great fun, Thomas! It's just a matter of who can move the fastest, you or Piggie! I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your house! :)

Seriously though, glad Piggie is doing ok and hope she continues to do so. :)

• 1 month later...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Last night Piggie crossed the Rainbow Bridge after a few days of illness again.

No more heart disease, trouble breathing or pain. Instead she have finally gotten to meet Ginnie again and they are hopefully running around playing in those meadows and hills.

piggie6years.jpg

You will be in our hearts forever. heart.gif

I got that same poem on a card from my vet office when my first dog Buddy died in 2005. It brought tears to my eyes. We had him for just over 15 years and even tho' he was sick and in pain, not once did he whimper or whine. My sympathies go out to you. At least you had a little more time to spend with Piggie. I'm sure here and Ginnie are running around and playing again, waiting to see you and Jessica again.