BigGrrr

Filtering Spam When Forwarding Mail

Hello,

I would like to have my e-mail forwarded to another address, but I would also like to have it filtered for spam before it is forwarded (with all spam mail simply deleted). I also want to avoid filling my TCH mailbox with mail, because I don't want to have to log in and clean it out periodically.

I understand that if I set up forwarding and do not set up a mail account for that address, then all mail with that address will simply be forwarded (with no spam filtering).

From what I understand, if I set up a mail account and set up forwarding, then the mail will be spam-filtered, forwarded, and also copied into my TCH mail account.

Is there a way to have mail spam-filtered and then forwarded without keeping a copy of the mail in the TCH mailbox?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums BigGrrr ;)

If you set up a forward Spam Assassin will not even look at it. And if you set up a forward be aware that you cannot forward to AOL, Comcast and others. It is very easy to get a server blacklisted as a Spam source by forwarding email.

If you must forward, I suggest that you get yourself a gmail account and forward it there.

To cut down on a lot of Spam make sure your default email address is set to :fail:

Bruce,

After Earthlink blacklisted me for forwarding mail to my account there, I've switched everything to POP accounts on the TCH server but I am now battling spam again. Even with SpamAssassin enabled, I'm being swamped and want to stop it getting to my client at all. Is there any way to have my spam deleted completely on the server? I've enabled SpamBox but I still need to manually clear it. Given the volume of spam I receive (10 year old email address, posted on many web sites in the early days) I'm concerned that I may have to clear SpamBox about twice a day. Can it be configured as a black hole somehow? I can't see an option on CPanel to let me do this.

Thanks,

Dave

Have you set your default email address is set to :fail: ?

As to the old address I was in the same boat

I had to give it up as it was in every spammers book

After I set my default email address to :fail:

to eliminate spam to any address and set up a few new address

my spam dropped to almost none.

I also set up forwards to a new address at my domain

to use instead of the many aliases I had been using.

I would also suggest disabling the spam box. Instead I set up a filter to delete all spam (this is a one click operation from the spam assassin page). That way you do not need to keep going in and emptying the spam box.

Andy and Don,

Thanks for the advice but I have done all these things already. My problem is that my PC (a fast dual Athlon X2) is taking about 10 minutes every couple of hours just downloading and trashing the spam and I would really like to remove this CPU burden. Earthlink used to allow me to trash the spam on the server which was why I was forwarding all my mail there. I was hoping that I could configure SpamBox to do the same thing but it sounds like I am out of luck.

Do you know anywhere that I can safely forward all my spam and have it deleted without the possibility of being blacklisted again? :-)

Regards,

Dave

You could forward to GMail without a problem currently but who knows that may change.

If you have one particular address that is getting all the spam maybe you might think of deleting it and create a new one. Yes, I know this is a pain in the butt but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Hi Dave,

Can you PM me your domain name - I'll take a quick look, because I had a look at what I thought was your main domain, and it's not set up as suggested. You should be able to set it up to delete all the spam on the server using spam-assassin (that's how I have my domains set up) and hence I don't have to worry about downloading lots of spam. I have mine set up to get rid of about 90% of spam, because I want to be certain no legitimate ones get deleted - and I deal with the remaining 10% with my email client (thunderbird in my case).

The problem is that headers prior to the last server can, potentially, be spoofed hence all ISP's tend to assume that the last server that forwarded it is the one sending out spam (and why AOL, MSN, Hotmail etc then start blocking those servers as spam). Potentially, any / all email providers such as gmail could eventually do the same, so none is totally safe to set up a forward to.

The other way would be to set up some form of filtering on your email before sending it on - but how easy that is depends on how much and what type of legitimate email you get.

Andy,

Thanks for the offer of help. My main domain is webartz.com. I sent you a Yahoo IM message but you don't seem to be online just now.

Regards,

Dave

I have disabled the spam box, and set up a filter to delete everything that SA (spam assassin) thinks is spam. I have also changed the SA required score to 5 (from the 7.5 you had) which will catch a lot more of the spam and, in my experience, still doesn't catch legitimate emails.

I have disabled the spam box, and set up a filter to delete everything that SA (spam assassin) thinks is spam. I have also changed the SA required score to 5 (from the 7.5 you had) which will catch a lot more of the spam and, in my experience, still doesn't catch legitimate emails.

Andy,

Many thanks - that's exactly what I was hoping for!

Regards,

Dave