Most Common Monitor Size

ivanmax

You don't design for a monitor size you design for a monitor resolution. I can run a 15" monitor up to 1280 x 1024. I might not be able to read what's there but I can do it.

According to W3C the most common resolution is 1024 x 768 but many people still design for 800 x 600 resolution.

It depends on your audience.

Many people with glasses or older eyes are getting newer larger monitors but staying with 800x600 or only goin up to 1024x768 so the font and icons are large enough to read without squinting.

Consider that older eyes have different needs than the young ones, and some types of businesses are slower to upgrade equipment than others. Knowing WHO your site is trying to reach, and what your average visitor is like will help you to design your site for them.

The one site that I work on is designed at 800x600 because the contractors that use it generally do NOT upgrade hardware until the old stuff physically dies. I still have some people access with 600x400 settings! I won't go that far though...let them get scroll bars!

Well on my site most users are on 1024x768 but then I also get lesser but equal amounts on 800x600 and 2000x1024. I personally still fix the width of my sites to 760px so it fits on 800x600 with no horizontal scroll. I don't advise using variable widths due to the fact that you get people on 800x600 but you also get people on widescreen. I mean if your layout is realtively simple and looks as good on all widths then go for it but be aware of the risks. As for font sizes thats a hell of a pickle due to the various resolutions. Most web browsers now come with zoom as opposed to Microsofts old text-size setting so if they cannot see your text they can zoom in.

As I said I code for 800x600 (I've been around a while) but I'd say there is nothing wrong in writing for 1024x768 as viewed on a 17" monitor.

If we were to try and encompass all sizes that would include such things as my HD TV which is 32" with a resolution of 1033x720.

I personally still fix the width of my sites to 760px so it fits on 800x600 with no horizontal scroll.

I second that one. Variable widths are nice if you can get your content to gracefully stretch and shrink, but I'm not that talented, and most of my visitors are in the 1024x768 and 800x600 camps anyway.

Thanks a lot to everybody. I think I will go for 1024x768 as it seems to be the most commun size. I am planning to sell some of my images through the net (www.ivangarcia.net) and I don´t think many people with enough understanding of internet art shopping will be using a "15 monitor.

Thanks again to everybody.

Iván

Well I am writing from Spain. Here it has become very commun to buy computers in commertial centers and as a part of their offers they always include a "19 or "17 monitor. I would say I haven´t seen a "15 monitor since my flat mate threw away his ancient Pentium 100 (and this was about four years ago). How come you use a "14 monitor? I am a pro photographer and work a lot with photoshop and less than "19 would be too little for me.

Edited by ivanmax

I'm using a 14" as I've had it for a few years and see no reason to update. Many companies also use 14" monitors for the same reason. You also have to think about laptops. My laptop is brand new but only has a 15.3" monitor. Not everyone has a brand new computer and so will more than likely still have their old monitor.

Edited by carbonize

Do you know about the Web Developer extension for Firefox? There is a tool on that extension that allows you to automatically resize your browser to common screen resolutions, so you can see how your site will be displayed for users of various resolutions.

Just thought you might find that useful, if you didn't already know about it.

Here's something I had to recently consider.

It seems that the "widescreen" monitors are becoming popular. I had a website that looked great for our church but when the Pastor got a widescreen he was very much bugged by the huge gap on the right side. I looked at it and said "eeeeuuwwww" or something to that effect.

I suggest that you make sure you have a repeating background that will at least fill in that space with a color, pattern or nicely-tiling background.

• 3 months later...

The 20" monitor that came with my new PC is 1680 x 1050 and so it really shows your websites in a new light. I just redesigned my Lazarus site and made it dynamic width. Thats ok for this site as it's pretty simple with minimal content. I am also redesigning a clients site and they said they wanted dynamic. Everything was fine until I came to do the addresses page. There's only so much you can do with an address and a couple of photographs. I think the future lies in fixed widths. Most sites use them now. Even the big sites. I've made their site 760 wide but I am looking at switching to making sites for 1024x768 monitors as the stats show no 800x600 visitors to their site yet. Problem is HTML width is dodgy. The width attribute refers to the screen width and so if you set the divs width to 100% it only covers the screens width. If you have horizontal scroll you will find the div ends at the screens edge along with any backgrounds you have set in it.

• 7 months later...

Hi there

I just want to make some comments on this topic, as it's one that I find very interesting. "Should I have a fixed width page, or a fluid design? And if fixed width, how wide?"

Have you ever thought that you can have the best of both worlds? A web-page that expands to a predetermined width, and then stops expanding? Once that point is reached, the page centers, and the body background displays on either side? The greater the screen resolution, the more body seen each side of the page.

The trick to it is, to be able to get ALL standards compliant browsers like Mozilla and safari, as well as browsers like IE to react the same way, and behave themselves.

Which of course means a simple max-width property in your stylesheet isnt going to do the job. (IE has no idea what max-width means!)

But it can be done......I do it on websites i design, both for myself and others. So the page is designed to fit full screen on an 800x600 monitor, with no scrolling. It will also appear full screen on 1024x768px monitors. On resolutions greater than that, the page is centered with a background showing either side of the page. Restraining to this width maintains a comfortable line length for a 3 column design (around 60 characters).

If anyone is interested in seeing websites of mine with this happening, let me know. Im not aware of anyone else who uses the code the way i do to get this happening. It is something i developed myself, as I couldnt find any information on how to achieve this effect. :)

AJ.

I would like to see.

thanks

I would like to see.

thanks

Hi there Mike, and thanks for the welcome, TCH-Bruce.

Here's a couple of examples that should help u see why I do things this way. Take a look at this page. motorcycleparts-accessories-andmore.com Look at it with 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution. The page is full screen, with the separate parts of the header expanding/contracting with monitor width, along with the page.

Now take a look at it in a bunch of different browsers, at 1280px res, here. browsershots.org/http://www.motorcycleparts-accessories-andmore.com You will see the page has stopped expanding at the width specified, which is 1050px, and white body background shows each side of the page.....it could of course be a colored background, but white was used in this case.

here's another one. coffee-makers-et-cetera.com/cmtest-index.html This time, the page is at 95% width on any resolution up to 1050px wide. No scrolling required. And at resolutions above that, it does the same thing as the previous site. It centers, and shows the background either side of the page. U can see that here, at browsershots.org/http://www.coffee-makers-et-cetera.com/cmtest-index.html with the screen-shots set to 1400px and 1600px wide.

Happy new year everyone!

AJ :)

Edited by TCH-Thomas
Made links inactive. Please do not link to external hosted sites.

• 2 years later...

Well according to me 17" will be fine. But it depends on where you are going to put your computer. I mean to say place where you are going to put it. The another thing is that which type you want ?. Because there are so many LCD are available now. Do you want it in square or triangle ?.Have you visited a website that has a web page width too wide for your monitor or browser window ? 19" will look like a TV.

• 2 months later...