Mt Overloading Server/blog Suspended

sylviat

MT has been creating server overloads on my site and not sending out notification pings. The service was just suspended and nobody has replied to my first question: how do I access a suspended site so I can fix it? Last night, with assistance, the site was upgraded to 3.3 but the problem did not go away. So the next step was going to be to switch to the use of a mysql database. But the person helping me can't do that if we can't access the site.

It was suggested I switch to WordPress and I noted that it can be automatically installed with fantastico - I am not thrilled about the idea of having to learn to create the home page in a new form of software at a time when I am super busy and would rather be writing blog posts. But it may be possible to convince me...

But MT is a superior blogging platform to WP. MT creates a much cleaner code, and that's probably why they attract so many hits. I don't understand why it would matter what you use for server purposes. As long as you are within the amount of data your package allows.

Unfortunately the code that runs MT isn't quite as clean as the code it produces. It's bulky and slow. It's not SixApart's fault completely, as Perl by nature is a resource hog.

But MT is a superior blogging platform to WP. MT creates a much cleaner code, and that's probably why they attract so many hits. I don't understand why it would matter what you use for server purposes. As long as you are within the amount of data your package allows.

Disclaimer: I'm a WordPress user. I maintain 4 WP-powered sites.

I'd be curious to know in what regards you find MT superior to WP as a blogging platform. I've never used MT, and am genuinely curious.

But MT is a superior blogging platform to WP. ...

As a MT user, I'd love to second that, but I can't as I've never used WP. I'd have to agree with Bruce (who, I think, has used both), it's a matter of opinion. I suspect they both have their advantages. I do know that I'm a little envious of the user community behind WP and, as a personal blogger, wish MT had that. I get the impression it once did, but as it's moved into the professional arena that's faded some. There are still some great users behind MT, but from the outside looking in the WP community looks deeper.

I'm on the Silver hosting plan running 3 personal blogs on MT 3.33 with a MySQL database and all static files haven't had any issues. One of the nice things about MT is that you can run a mix of static and dynamic pages which might help you optimize your site for server loading. My site doesn't see enough traffic to need that so I'm not entirely sure.

Good luck, I'm sure the folks at the help desk will help you get back into your site.

Edited by salguod

I'd have to agree with Bruce (who, I think, has used both), it's a matter of opinion.

Yes, I have used both. I find WP able to do everything I was doing with MT but in half the time. I have no issues with comment spam which plagues MT blogs. I think WP is faster than MT as well.

And WP is easy to upgrade, skin (theme).

I maintain 7 WP blogs. When ever a new release comes out I can have all seven of them upgraded in less than 1/2 hour.

I will say though, I have not used MT 3+ I migrated to WP and never looked back.

I started on MT at 2.661, now on 3.33. There are lots of new stuff in the 3.x releases (3.34 is due out next week) including themes and much better anti-spam. In fact, I just commented on the pinned MT spam thread on a bundle of 2 great antispam plugins that have dropped my comment and TB spam and my spam maintenance to zero. It was very low before with the techniques availble, but this has eliminated the problem. Just like with WP (if I understand right), if you don't set up your blog with good anti spam plugins adn don't pay attention to it, you'll get flooded with spam.

BTW - I just noticed you're frm Ohio. I'm in Columbus, what part of Ohio are you in?

I have had zero spam on my Wordpress blogs from day one using one plugin called Spam Karma which is now in release 2. There are other spam plugins for Wordpress but why would I bother trying more of them when Spam Karma works?

First plugin I install after installing a Wordpress blog is Spam Karma.

I'm from the Dayton area.

I have had zero spam on my Wordpress blogs from day one using one plugin called Spam Karma which is now in release 2. There are other spam plugins for Wordpress but why would I bother trying more of them when Spam Karma works?

First plugin I install after installing a Wordpress blog is Spam Karma.

I'm from the Dayton area.

Cool I am in Fairborn....but grew up in the Belmont area :)