Installing Phpbb

Lou Sander

I'm a computer technical person, but not very knowledgeable in web hosting matters.

I have a phpbb forum on another web site, hosted by another company, that I want to duplicate on my TCH web site HERE. The purpose is to allow a consultant to make changes to the forum, without letting him have access to my other web site. (I can tolerate outsiders, possible spam, etc. here, but not there.)

I've copied the Forum directory and subdirectories from the other site to this one, but when I try to access it, I get some error messages having to do with SQL, access, etc.

What do I need to do to install my forum on my TCH web site?

If the database is in the forum folder, I copied it. If not, I didn't. (Sorry, I don't know enough about this stuff even to know where the database resides.)

The error message I get when I try to connect to the forum is:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'ussranki_phpbb1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/empefsgf/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/empefsgf/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/empefsgf/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

(ussranki is my username on the other forum)

You will need to take a backup of the current databas on the forum that is running and upload the backup to your web space. You will also need to create a database to use on your testing site. Create a user for the database as well and add it to the database.

Then open a ticket with the help desk and ask them to restore the backup file to your newly created database.

You will also need to edit the config file for the forum with the new database information.

You will need to take a backup of the current databas on the forum that is running and upload the backup to your web space. You will also need to create a database to use on your testing site. Create a user for the database as well and add it to the database.

I need some help in finding the database to back up. I looked around the other site and didn't find anything that looked like a database, but of course I don't really know what I'm looking for. What should it look like? Should it be in public_html, or elsewhere?

As Bruce said above:

Then open a ticket with the help desk and ask them to restore the backup file to your newly created database.

and it should be finished.

Edited by TCH-Thomas
Missed adding a couple of lines first time.

...upload the backup to your web space. You will also need to create a database to use on your testing site. Create a user for the database as well and add it to the database.

The whole SQL thing is a mystery to me, and I don't know where stuff resides or how to get it there.

I don't know how to upload the backup that is now on my desktop as a zipped file.

I don't know how to create a database on my testing site.

I don't know how to create a user.

(Other than that, I'm OK.) :P

You could upload the file to the public_html with cpanels file manager.

Click the file manager

Click upload files

Click browse

Find the file

Click upload

Movie tutorial on how to create a MySQL database

Then click the Help Desk button on top of this page and ask the techs you uploaded the database backup to your public_html, the files name and that you want them to restore it.

Lou,

when you submitted the ticket,

you should have received an auto responder email about your ticket with a link to view your ticket.

Or you can go back into the ticket system and look at your tickets.

When the ticket is responded to,

you will get another email from the tech that answered your ticket.

The TCH tech says he has done his thing. But I still get the same error message when I try to access the forum on TCH. I'm guessing that the first warning has something to do with a userid and password. I don't have any guesses about warnings 2 & 3. Any suggestions? (I'm thinking maybe I should set up a user ussranki with password YES, and hope to get past the first warning. I don't want to do it until at least one knowledgeable person endorses the idea, though) :)

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'ussranki_phpbb1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/empefsgf/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/empefsgf/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/empefsgf/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Yep. I found a config file with the userid in it. It's got some warnings not to change anything, though, including a password.

I think it's time to go over to the phpbb forum and ask how to install this thing from scratch.

My problem is that I made some serious modifications after installing it on the other host site.

Ok I installed phpBB2

Yes you need to edit the config.php file

to change the database info

- database connect ----

Be sure that in MySql you

1 - created the database

2 - created a user

3 -added the user to the database (go back to MySql and find the Add user

select the user and database, and then Add user to database)

Then to connect to the database in a script use:

host: localhost

database: yourCpanelName_databaseName

user: yourCpanelName_databaseUser

password: mypassword

* Note password is just as the password,

do not add the CpanelName to it.

---------------------------

give that a try.

Ok I installed phpBB2

Yes you need to edit the config.php file

to change the database info

- database connect ----

Be sure that in MySql you

1 - created the database

2 - created a user

3 -added the user to the database (go back to MySql and find the Add user

select the user and database, and then Add user to database)

Then to connect to the database in a script use:

host: localhost

database: yourCpanelName_databaseName

user: yourCpanelName_databaseUser

password: mypassword

* Note password is just as the password,

do not add the CpanelName to it.

---------------------------

give that a try.

I did the MySQL stuff per instructions in posts above. I probably did it correctly.

I don't understand the stuff about "Then to connect to the database in a script." I don't know much about scripts, and I'm accustomed to accessing my bb just by going to www.ussrankin.org/forum/

Also, the warnings in the config.php file scare me a bit, as does the long, strange password.

EDIT: In the meantime, I've posted a question on the phpbb forum re: how do I duplicate my bb on another host.

Edited by Lou Sander

Lou, say your cpanel name is lou

and you created a database called forum

with a user called me

and a password of password

edit the config.php file with a text editor

or in cpanels filemanager locate the forum folder and click on the file and select edit

change the bold parts to your database info

<?php

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file

// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms = 'mysql';

$dbhost = 'localhost';

$dbname = 'lou_forum';

$dbuser = 'lou_me';

$dbpasswd = 'password';

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

?>

My guess is there are links in the database backup that you restored into your new database that will need to be changed to point to where you are testing. Maybe someone on the phpBB forum can tell you what needs modified.

I just found this on the phpBB site. I'd start with that.

It's working fine now. The final problem had to do with cookies, and a guy on the phpbb forum gave me the fix. Thanks a million for your help, fellows. What on EARTH would we do without forums???

Now one final thing... I'm trying to get this forum, the TCH one, to automatically log me in when I come here. So far it's not doing it. I've got a check in the box that seems to be the place to set it.

Any ideas?