Phpbb2 > Smf

guita01

Forgive me if this is already answered somewhere else. And forgive me if I should have asked in a different section.

I am trying to convert my phpBB2 forum to SMF.

I already have a phpbb2 forum active. I created an SMF forum under the same domain. I downloaded the converter from SMF. When I go to run the converter it asks for my password to the SMF database. I entered all the passwords I would have possibly used and it keeps saying wrong password.

My question is this? Does TC give the database a different password? How do I find the password of my database? My admin password doesn't work.

Hi,

The username and password is the one you created for it in cpanel, and added as a user to that database. Have you tried that one

When I created the forum through Fantastico it created the database. It did ask for a password then and I used that password. I also tried my regular admin password.

You should be able to find the user/password for your database in the config file for phpBB. The DB password is usually different than the one you set for the admin user.

It says I need the password for the SMF database

Ok, maybe it wasn't encrypted. i used the password from the SMF setting file. it gave me a different error.

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'myname_smf1'@'localhost' for table 'phpbb_users'

In cPanel select MySQL Databases. Your databases will display. At the bottom of the list of databases there is an add user function set of boxes.

Select the user to add in the left box (SMF user) and the database in the right box (phpBB DB) and click the Add User button.

I'll try. Not sure I know exactly HOW, but we will see.

Cool!

OK I tried that in a "Test" forum and it worked. Thanks. now I can do it on the real thing.

thanks a million.

Do you have any mods installed on your phpBB that you are trying to convert?

Have you tried the SMF forums for help?

The only mods I have are to the themes, not the data itself.

Yeah I have posted at the SMF forum too. but that was before I figured out the password problem. I will go back there and see if they have any ideas.