Question About Forums Running On Tch Sites

LeeGoldsmith

Does anyone run a forum (best if it is SMF forum) on a TCH site. What kind of usage are you getting, 100 posts a day or maybe 1000 ?? What kind of disk space is being used for the site and what is the tipical bandwidth used ??

I have a friend that is hosting a site on a provider that I feel is overkill, that TCH can do the job for much less money. He has the feeling that a forum with maybe 100 active users a day will need a dedicated server to handle it. I think he is wrong and that TCH can do the job just fine for much less.

Any info would be appreciated.

Lee

I won't be much help, but I run an SMF Board with maybe 10 active users (25 total) and an average of 4.05 posts per day. Bandwidth usage is about 55 MB/month. Sorry that doesn't help much. I don't know if you can assume 25 times the posts will be 25 times the bandwidth.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I think the key word is 'active' users...I don't think this (tch's) forum has 100 'active' users per day!

I have a semi-dedicated, with several accounts and several variations of boards...the most active being problemadults.com. Members: 208

Threads: 2,760

currently using 122 meg's of space, and 3154 meg's of bandwidth (with 12 days left in the month)

it's not a SMF forum, it's VBAdvanced, with the photo album, links pages, chat room(s) and arcade options all in place and used regularly

I'm certain that TCH can handle your friends forum on a shared hosting account :)

Edited by Redeagle

I think the key word is 'active' users...I don't think this (tch's) forum has 100 'active' users per day!

I have a semi-dedicated, with several accounts and several variations of boards...the most active being problemadults.com. Members: 208

Threads: 2,760

currently using 122 meg's of space, and 3154 meg's of bandwidth (with 12 days left in the month)

it's not a SMF forum, it's VBAdvanced, with the photo album, links pages, chat room(s) and arcade options all in place and used regularly

I'm certain that TCH can handle your friends forum on a shared hosting account :tchrocks!:

We have well in excess of 100 members per day.

"115 user(s) active in the past 120 minutes"

Guild forum running phpbb, averaging 80 posts/day over the last 2 years (58577 articles to date posted). Less than 260 megs of diskspace used for the whole site. Uses about 10-20 gigabytes per month in bandwidth.

Not certain about the users per day, but it has 843 registered members currently, with probably around 50-100 active per day.

Hardly makes a dent in server processing.

I run an IPB 1.3 forum

Have around 80 odd ACTIVE users a day, with near enough 10 GB of bandwidth used a month, with around 1,000,000 hits a month.... The forum itself uses about 120MB of disk space plus a 90MB mysql database...

not ever had a single problem running it on TCH servers, been with TCH for about 3 or so years now I think

so i dont imagine you need a dedicated server at all as I am on a shared server