Please Help With Imagemagick And 4images Gallery

OnlineAutorama

Hi everyone,... I used Fantastico and Installed 4Images Gallery, I was able to logon and Creat Categories but for some reason the directories wernt being created for the Categories I was creating so when I would try to upload a photo i would get an error that the directory wasnt there, So i went to 4Images Website for troubleshooting and read the install .Doc and it said to make sure the properties of the folder were 777 which they all were, The install must have done that for me. So anyway I created all the 8 directories for the Categories that I have and now I'm able to upload Pictures.

But now I discovered the Thumbnail isnt working for ImageMagick, I've searched here trying to find the path to ImageMagick and theres like 20 different answers so I created a Support Ticket which in every single one of the topics here seem to have some Tech always saying go create a Ticket for your problem. So I did.

Tina is telling me that correct part for ImageMagick is /usr/bin Well,... Needless to say, I'm still having the same problem inside the Admin Settings for Auto Thumbnailer. The message I get is:

ImageMagick error. Wrong path or ImageMagick not installed.

Check module settings So now it's been sent to a 2nd level tech. The last time this Tina helped me with a problem i had she kept giving me a solution with Typos in it and come to find out that was why that problem i had didnt get Fixed by her, I ended up spending 2 days researching and messing around until I solved the problem myself.

I just want to know what the path is to ImageMagick Please.

Has anyone here installed 4Images Gallery from their CPanel under Fantastico.

To be truthful after the last issue i had, I just lost total confidence in Tina level 1 support ability.

There are some really bright and smart Techs here like Tom, Rick, Bruce & Bill but I'm just hoping that someone here has installed this 4Images, Had the same problems and already got them fixed and working already, So if you have I'd really like to know what you did to get the Auto Thumbnailer to work for you.

TIA and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Take care.

Jim.

Edited by OnlineAutorama

The reason you get this error is because we have open_basedir enabled, which confines PHP to your user directory.

There is a way around this, but it requires editing the actual script. I'm not familliar with 4Images Gallery, so I don't know what file exactly it is you have to edit.

basically there should be a small if statement that looks for /usr/bin/convert Comment it out and you should be good to go.

The reason you get this error is because we have open_basedir enabled, which confines PHP to your user directory.

There is a way around this, but it requires editing the actual script. I'm not familliar with 4Images Gallery, so I don't know what file exactly it is you have to edit.

basically there should be a small if statement that looks for /usr/bin/convert Comment it out and you should be good to go.

Mike,... So i should find the "/usr/bin/convert" Line. Whats the command to Comment it out? Is it a ; Infront of the line?

Mike,... I got a question for you please,...

When TCH adds scripts to the Fantastico page. Arnt these scripts tested at all?

I dont know about anyone else and I'm like maybe a 4 out of 10 as far as Web creation goes, but in my mind of thinking, If I see an Install Button for a script and it goes as far as creating a Database and even asks whats the Admin name and password is going to be and Installs itself. I kinda expected it to work for me. Just like anything else in this world. Can you Imagine buying Microsoft Windows XP and having to tell the it How to seek out the Info that is stored in the Motherboard BIOS and having to write command lines for it telling it where to get the time from or how much memory is installed. I dont think anyone would own a PC if they had to do their own programming of it.

I think It's Great that there are Scripts on that Fantastico page, But How many of those other scripts dont work?

If i was some older lady or man or my young wife for that matter who wanted to create a Photo Gallery of their Grandkids or family I don't think they'd be able to do it if they just bought a domain name and then decided to sign up for your server services.

Believe me, I know it isnt your fault, I worked for Sony PC Support from Day 1 when they only had 2 PC's out on the market, The PCV-70 and the PCV-90. At the end of 5 1/2 years Sony closed the Cali center because the Pay for employees were to high and they could get the people here in Florida at the Ft Myers Support center to do the support that they were doing for 1/2 the pay. We had to support Products that we've never even seen before or knew existed and I'm talking like having to support the huge $60,000 Video Cameras they use to make TV shows or the $10,000 Backup Units and Hardware used by Top 500 companies.

Anyway,... Thank you for taking the time to try and lend a hand to me.

But instead of beating my head on a rock to get ImageMagick to work because it doesnt seem like anyone knows where the path to it is, I'm just going to use the GD Bibliothek option and be very afraid to use some of the other scripts i was interested in.

Thanks again.

Jim.

To comment a line out in PHP, you put

//

at the very beginning of the line. Or put

/* around the line like this */

So, what exactly is wrong with using GD Bibliothek? As the default setting it works perfectly fine (for my test run), so an older lady or man or your younger wife would have no problems as far as I can see. Maybe my inexperience doesn't provide me with the knowledge of what benefits ImageMagick would give you, but if it is important to you, you can try going to the 4Images website and asking them if there is anyway to get ImageMagick to work with open_basedir set to /home/username/:/usr/local/sqmail/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp on a shared server.

As far as Fantastico goes, it can't account for every possible server configuration and probably comes with the ability to install all those scripts you see by default. The fact that Fantastico is there at all makes life a whole lot easier. Maybe if you ask, they can disable Fantastico for you in your cPanel.

After reading through the 4Images Support forums it would seem that the thumbnail problem is a common occurrance. Not being able to read German (I think it is), I have no solution for you other than, create the thumbnail and upload it when you upload the main image. Or move to Coppermine, in my opinion a much easier to use and setup gallery software and is free as well.

Jim, I've never installed 4Images but others have. I have installed Gallery2 a couple of times and those installs went rather smooth.

As for Fantastico installing scripts as others have said the installers are tested by the people at Fantastico but they cannot test in every environment possible so sure there may be issues with some of the scripts. I personally do not use the installers provided by Fantastico and install the scripts manually. Yes, they may difficult at first but once you learn to do one manually you should be able to install almost any script without issues.

Well Guys,...

I dont know what to tell you folks, But Mike M I believe a lvl 2 tech was kind enough to solve the problem for me I think this morning, Something about the way the Server Security works on my site so It looks like I wouldnt have been able to fix the problem no matter what I did..

Not sure if Its the Mike M here that tried to help me or not but Thank You Mike M.

Some people know stuff and some dont and from the looks of it, I'm glad I'm not in the boat alone :clapping:

Jim.

Hey, it wasn't a problem at all. I had a look at the scripts and it relied very heavily on checking to see if a file existed, checking to see if it was executable, etc. It was much easier for me to edit the security settings for your account than edit the script itself, only to have the changes overwritten the next time the script updated :clapping: