Forum Software

Matt_G

New guy here.

I am going to be putting up a genealogical website (family assoc.) and I want to run a forum on it in a sub domain.

My question is this:

I have noticed that in the FAQ's, SMF and phpBB are explicitly mentioned as being ok to run on TCH servers.

Can I run vBulletin?

Looks like the servers meet sys req. for it. (php 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16 are min req. for VB 3.6)

I'm not sure I want to spend the money on VB, I am just wondering if I can consider it as an option. B)

Thanks,

Matt

VB Bulletin will work just as well as any other forum script. The only question is do you want to pay or use a free script. Once you have decided that you then have to pick which one of the type you chose you want. The beauty of choice. Like wanting chocolate then standing at the shelf for an hour because you cannot decide.

VB Bulletin will work just as well as any other forum script. The only question is do you want to pay or use a free script. Once you have decided that you then have to pick which one of the type you chose you want. The beauty of choice. Like wanting chocolate then standing at the shelf for an hour because you cannot decide.

I am playing around with SMF in my sandbox at home right now. I have a feeling this is what I am going to use. I messed around with phpBB 2.0.21 for a couple of days and it just didn't float my boat. If the forum growth justifies it, I can upgrade to vBulletin or IPB in the future if I want to. Since this will be such a niche community I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

I really love vBulletin but I just can't justify the money for what will be a very small community.

All my favorite forums I am active member of use vBulletin.

i.e. ABXZone, CivFanatics, and others.

Anyways, when I get home from work, I will be hunting for SMF themes. Need to see what all is out there for this package. :tchrocks:

I do have to say that SMF is probably the most powerful FREE forum script available at present. I'm not sure what phpBB 3 will be like on it's release though. Another good, but slightly less powerful, script is UNB.

I say go ahead with SMF but have a look on www.opensourcecms.com where you can try various scripts out.

I say go with SMF, also. I love it.

If you are going to pay for forum software, I would choose IPB. ht_p://mandrivausers.org/index.php has 15331 registered members and a total of 227825 posts and is running strong.

(TCH Hosting Forums looks to me like IPB, but it is not branded.)