kaseytraeger

Migrating From Mt To Wp

Hey folks!

I'm finally going to take the plunge and migrate from an old installation of Movable Type to Word Press. I'd like advice on the best way to approach the migration.

I installed MT so my blog would be in it's own subdomain called "doggydiaries". Obviously, I can't have WP use the same sub-domain until I uninstall MT. My guess is that I'll install WP to another subdomain, or maybe just another directory and get it all set up with stylesheets, plugins and custom features before moving it to the "doggydiaries" subdomain. How do I then transfer the WP installation to the "doggydiaries" subdomain while making sure to cleanly and completely remove the MT installation? I want nothing left of MT in that subdomain, but I want to make sure that all my old posts get transferred into WP.

Any tips and advice you can offer will be helpful.

Thanks.

If you want to keep it in the subdomain you currently have install WP into a new subdomain (create it in cPanel). Once you are ready to dump MT just rename the subdomain folder something else and rename the WP subdomain "doggiediaries".

Transferring the MT entries into WP can be handled with the import file provided with WP.

See the WP codex for importing Movable Type for more info on importing.

Woohoo! Congratulations, Kasey! :) :)

You're going to love WP!

Another question ... I'm getting ready to set up a temporary subdomain where I'll install WP. I notice, however, that the only options are "Add," "Setup Redirection," "Remove Redirection," and "Delete." How would I go about renaming the WP subdomain to "doggydiaries" when I'm ready to do so?

If you want to keep it in the subdomain you currently have install WP into a new subdomain (create it in cPanel). Once you are ready to dump MT just rename the subdomain folder something else and rename the WP subdomain "doggiediaries".

File Manager B)

Your MT blog is currently in a folder that is also a subdomain. When you are ready to switch to using WP you just rename the folder where your MT blog resides and then name the WP folder what ever the MT folder name was.

That should be easy enough to do! I thought I was going to have to use the "Subdomain Manager" from cPanel. When I didn't see any logical command to do that, I got a wee bit confused.

Thanks!

Alrightee ... I just set up a new subdomain called "wordpress" and installed WordPress to it using Fantastico. However, when I try to navigate to the subdomain's main index page, I receive an error that says "Firefox can't find the server at wordpress.pudgypuppy.com."

Anyone know why I'm getting this error? I can see all kinds of files in public_html/wordpress/, which I presume means the software was installed properly. But darn if I can't access it using a browser. I can't get to the admin page (blogger's main login page) nor the main index page ...

Edited by kaseytraeger

Did you create the subdomain first? If not it won't work.

If you did and it's still not working open a ticket with the help desk to get it sorted out.