Question About Forwarders, Imap, Etc

joe13

Well, I am more so just looking for reassurance, as the few tests I've done with this set up have proven to work how I want it to...

Basically, I want to just be able to have access to my POP email when I am away from my desktop that has Outlook...

What I have done is in Cpanel, I have set up a forwarder to a gmail address, and have set my "reply to" address in my gmail account to my domain email address.

So, I want every msg sent to me@**** to go to both my Outlook and my gmail account. There may be times that for weeks I am away and only use gmail, or weeks where I am home and never use it. But when I do get home, I want to be able to open Outlook and have all the messages that were sent since I was last home to be downloaded in my Outlook account, despite the possibility I may have already read/deleted these messages in my gmail account. And conversely, next time I am in gmail, to have all the messages there even if I read/deleted them in Outlook.

It seems to be working like this for now, and I have not used IMAP nor have I had to check "leave msg on server for x days"...

I know that I won't be able to carry over the SENT items, and I can live with that...

I just wanted to make sure that this is the way you're supposed to go about doing what I am doing?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Also, I wanted to add, the reason I am making this post to begin with is that I remember reading somewhere that you need to check "leave msg on server for x days"...

And as I said, I have NOT done that, yet, when I send test msgs to myself and check it in Outlook, delete it, then go to my gmail, the email shows up in my gmail too even though I never checked "leave msg on server"

I don't know if this is because it's SUPPOSED to work that way, or if it's because I am checking my gmail only a few minutes after deleting it from Outlook and it "just so happened" to still be on the server?

If you have an account on your domain and also created a forward to gmail for the same account you don't need to check the leave messages on the server. That is only for if you are popping you account from more than one location. How you are doing is not popping at gmail but receiving a copy of the message.

If you chose to use IMAP I would suggest that you get yourself a copy of Portable Thunderbird and set it up on a USB flash drive. Using IMAP is similar to using web mail. You are accessing your email directly on the server. If you delete a message in IMAP it deletes it on the server. You would not be able to pop the message later once you deleted it.

I use Portable Thunderbird on a USB flash drive when I am away so that I can delete messages I've responded and not have to pop them and delete them later.

Wow, that makes total sense. I don't know why my brain didn't compute that right off the bat.

I think it's because I have always thought of making my trying to access my pop in other locations... but yeah, since this is an entirely different address it's being forwarded to, it wouldn't matter!

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance!

I think this should work for what I need it to do... Only potential problem I can think of is people reading my "from" email address, seeing it's a gmail, and start using that one with NEW msgs, rather than replying to it (where they would get the "reply to" address, which is my domain)...

Good idea regarding the portable flash drive... sounds very effecient...

Something I've wondered about IMAP was... do you ever run out of space? If all the messages are on the server... doesn that fill up over the years?

And also, when you say, if you delete messges in one location, it deletes them all... so, if something happened where all my email got wiped out, would that delete all the messages that are already in my outlook?

Thanks!

I think this should work for what I need it to do... Only potential problem I can think of is people reading my "from" email address, seeing it's a gmail, and start using that one with NEW msgs, rather than replying to it (where they would get the "reply to" address, which is my domain)...
Go into your settings on gmail and add your domain address so you can reply with that. Then when you add your domain address check this radio button.
When I receive a message sent to one of my addresses:

Reply from the same address the message was sent to.

Using IMAP keeps all messages on the server. You are bound by the quota you set or the size of your account so yes, you can run out of room to store messages.

About deleting with IMAP. Since the message is on the server, if you delete it then it is gone. It would have no effect on any email you have popped off the server in Outlook or any other email client. The key word here is POP. If you are using IMAP, then yes, the message would no longer be available to your email client.

So every time you open outlook you need to redownload all the messages? Wouldn't that take forever?

So in IMAP they are not stored locally on your computer anywhere? So you can't even read old email in outlook if you're not online?

Thanks for that gmail tip, btw! I am going to test it out.

No, that's not true. Every message has a header and every email client knows which emails it previously downloaded so only new messages would come down when using POP.

When using IMAP, you see the headers for any messages on the server and don't see the actual message until you open it. And yes, you must have an active connection to use IMAP. Nothing is stored locally.