Converting To A Cms

cnelzie

I am finding that my static webpage is becoming more and more difficult to manage as I add new content and start cross-linking that content.

So, I need some method of getting an easier handle on what I am putting up on the site as well as include some method of easily searching through my content. What I have been reading, shows that I need some kind of Content Management System and have thus started looking at the options available through 'Fantastico'.

Right now, I am wondering if I should stick with rebuilding my site using Geeklog or if another one of the other CMS options would better suit my needs. Regardless of which CMS ends up underneath the site, I know that there will be much work in customizing the interface/building a theme that will suit the site I have.

So that I don't end up doing this... :) I was wondering if anyone could take a glance at what I have and offer a few suggestions.

Here's my site www.nelzie.net

Thanks,

Rob

I haven´t looked at your whole site, but from what I could see is that it might look good in a cms, like joomla.

Asking what kind of cms to use, is like asking what car people like and why. You will get a lot of opinions.

In cpanels fantastico part, there is several one click installs of cms´s you can try before you decide which way to go. :)

As Thomas suggested, I too would recommend loading one of the many CMS's from Fantastico into a sub-directory on your site and play around a bit to find out which one might serve you better.

I glanced at your site and think a CMS would work quite nicely for you. But play around to get a feel for what's there.

I haven´t looked at your whole site, but from what I could see is that it might look good in a cms, like joomla.

Asking what kind of cms to use, is like asking what car people like and why. You will get a lot of opinions.

In cpanels fantastico part, there is several one click installs of cms´s you can try before you decide which way to go. :)

I agree about the car thing. It's just like asking a whole mess of Linux users (myself included) which distro is the absolute Bee Knees these days...

Thing is, sometimes some hihgly elucidating information will be shared. Just like automobiles, not all CMS packages are created with the same feature set. One might serve a site, like mine, with less interface customization or extraneous features that I don't need.

I'll give joomla a look. From my playing around with 'geeklog', it looks like 'geeklog' isn't actually what I am looking for.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob

my 2cents worth - it is not necessarily the case that moving to a CMS will make your site easier to maintain. Try a few of them in the Fantastico installer and you'll see what I mean.

I use Movable Type and have tried several others. The bottom line is that if you want to customize then it begins to become more complicated and there are certainly more moving parts involved in using a CMS.

JTD makes a great point. If you DO decide to use a CMS, make sure you are using the latest version available.

I would stay away from phpnuke 8. It is very buggy and has a lot of security flaws. I use phpnuke but it is a highly modded version of 7.6.

• 3 weeks later...

If you use Joomla remember there is an iminent update to version 1.5 comming which apparently might not be easy to upgrade to. I certainly would suggest Joomla and there are many themes out there for it. The new version looks good in Beta and might be a lot easier to maintain once the bugs are out of it. It has cleaner code as well and is supposedly easier to get around in as well.