Chopsticks - What Is The Secret?

TCH-Thomas

I had Chinese for dinner today and once again trying to eat with chopsticks, but it didn´t work. :tchrocks:

I then tried to view some tutorials about it including images, but no, no matter how I try to hold the sticks, it fails (or I should say, I drop the food).

So, what is the secret? :)

After spending a year living in Korea, and 8 more travelling the Far East, it's a little bit of all the responses above. It helps if you have an asian friend show you. After that, it just takes practice, practice, practice. I will admit that I'm not as good as I used to be, but it due to lack of using chopsticks on a regular basis. (I used to be able to pick up individual grains of rice using the metal chopsticks...MUCH thinner than the wooden ones you commonly see!)

And regarding soup...you eat the contents with the chopsticks and slurp the rest! Slurping is acceptable in public!

:) Yeah...there's quite a bit of that at first! The overall impression I got while being in those asian countries is that the local people appreciated the fact that I was at least WILLING to learn it! They had no problem giving me a fork and/or spoon when I asked for it! (It was easier to eat the soup then!)

I got pretty good at them probably because of the Japanese Steakhouse we used to eat at a lot when I was a kid.

Anyway, I learned to use chopsticks one way, but I've noticed that even the Chinese use them various different ways, so find a way that works for you and practice it.

I'll tell you this much though, when eating rice with chopsticks, you start to appreciate the "sticky" nature of sticky rice.

I'll tell you this much though, when eating rice with chopsticks, you start to appreciate the "sticky" nature of sticky rice.

I'll agree with that one. We went to Sake the other night and I had no problems with the sticks and I have every where else I've tried using them.

I agree with Bruce...no thank you! I did my fair share of exotic taste-testing when I was younger and more brave. Now that I'm older and set in my ways, I'll leave the sushi to someone else!

Chopsticks require more practice than most Americans give them. How long did it take your kids (or yourself if you're not old enough for kids) to learn to eat with a spoon and/or fork?

(And if you break them down into itty bitty pieces Rob, they'll go down and right through just fine! :rolleyes:)