Creating A Database In Cpanel...

QueenTiye

OK - I've been told repeatedly NOT to use fantastico, and after finally getting burned more than enough times, I've decided to install an SMF forum directly instead of using the fantastico version. I'm doing fine, but got to a place where I have to do some FTP stuff... and the hosts here said this:

Yes, you would use localhost as the MySQL host for a script. As for the other information, you would need to create the database and user in your cPanel and add the user to the database. You would then use that information in the install for the script.

How do I do this?

QT

See if this tutorial helps.

Yes - sorta.... (and thank you)...

OK - when I went into MySQL, I already had a user and a database. :shocking: Four, actually. Only - since this is the umptininth time of me trying to create this forum, how do I know if this database is the one that goes to my new forum or if it goes to one of the previous attempts? Or, should I just delete all prior attempts as well as the existing databases and start from scratch?

And - since this is on a subdomain, how do I know if the databases in question are the main domain or some other one? What do I look at in the file structure, or whereever to find out what goes with what? :unsure: :blush: :blink:

QT

OK - when I went into MySQL, I already had a user and a database. :surrender: Four, actually. Only - since this is the umptininth time of me trying to create this forum, how do I know if this database is the one that goes to my new forum or if it goes to one of the previous attempts? Or, should I just delete all prior attempts as well as the existing databases and start from scratch?

As Bruce suggested, maybe something in the database structure can tip you off as to what they are. Going on the assumption that you are attempting a fresh install of SMF, and that you have nothing else on your site that uses MySQL, you would probably be better off deleting the prior attempts and the exsisting databases and starting from scratch. I would also suggest to read all the way through the instructions first, making sure you know what you need to do (I'm sure you already do anyhoo! :surrender: ) before starting.

I've used Fantasico to do a few installs (mainly CMS's) to play around with and evaluate and have not had any problems at all. Of course, I did have to upgrade a couple to get them to the most current and secure versions.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Hello,

The best way to do this (IMHO) would be the following:

1) Do you have anything on your website which uses a database? If so, you need to locate which of this (ese) databases are so you not not to delete them.

2) Now goto into cpanel and mysql databases. You want to create a new database. I would name it something like smfforum

3) Now you need to create a user. I would create the user to be smfuser and make sure the password is at least 8 digits long, something like 1alqp2hanu (remember to write this down!)

4) Join the user to the database, accepting the defaults it ticked for you.

5) Now, correctley write down the database and its corresponding username. Remember CPANEL automatically adds your cpanel name to these.

E.g. given the above it would be something like this:

Database: jime_smfforum

Username: jime_smfuser

Password: 1alqp2hanu

6) Now, upload into your subdomain folder, the smf files.

7) Remember to access your subdomain the correct way when installing SMF.

E.g. h*tp://forum.jime.com

Not: h*tp://www.jime.com/forum

Install smf using the given username and password and everything will be ok. The database is not subdomain or folder specfic

JimE