Using Dada Or ? For Group Email

I have been told to use dada mail, but I don't know how to set it up. I am

managing a sports team website where we want an email address to send out

emails to all parents and team members...about 75 people. Apparently I can't just set up the group email through Total Choice. I have to use dada or mailman or something else. So, I downloaded the Dada program as directed, but one of the first thing it wants me to

do is locate the "cigi bin". I have no idea how to do this. Can someone guide me through the process of setting this email address up? It looks much more complicated than I had hoped. I just want to send the team parents and kids emails using a single email address. Seems like this shouldn't have to be so hard....kvetch kvetch

I hope someone can help me with this.

Welcome to the forum, zippityda. :)

Yes, Dada can be a bit tricky to set up and use. I would look in to phplist, located in your fantastico part of cpanel. Its a one click install and even though I havent used it, I have checked it out and it looks much easier to use.

One thing to keep in mind when using any mailinglist script is that TCH only allows a specific amount of emails to be sent from one account per x minutes. This amount per minute is not something we like to have discussed in the forum, so please open a ticket with the help desk and they will provide you with that information. Link on top of page and in my signature. :)

Welcome to the forum, zippityda. :)

Yes, Dada can be a bit tricky to set up and use. I would look in to phplist, located in your fantastico part of cpanel. Its a one click install and even though I havent used it, I have checked it out and it looks much easier to use.

One thing to keep in mind when using any mailinglist script is that TCH only allows a specific amount of emails to be sent from one account per x minutes. This amount per minute is not something we like to have discussed in the forum, so please open a ticket with the help desk and they will provide you with that information. Link on top of page and in my signature. :)

Thanks for your reply.

I thought this was the whole purpose of using the DADA or phplist or mailman....it circumvented problem of email/x minutes by sending them in batches or something. If you are telling me this will remain a problem if using a seconary mail program (phplist), then why would I bother even trying? Perhaps I have to break down the list and make two addresses to send out our mail...perhaps this would solve the problem...

You are correct. There are limits to the amount of emails you can send. Using Dada or phplist you will still have to batch your mailings to work within the limits in place.

If you need to know the limits, please open a ticket with the help desk and do not discuss them in the open forums.

Both DADA and PHPList have configuration settings that will cause them to send messages slowly enough to stay within the limits. I have a list of >800 adresses and it works fine.

Just get the limits from the staff, and then tweak whichever program you use until it does what you need.

I originally used DADA, but now I use PHPList as I find it has more options.

Hope this helps a bit.

You kinda have to look at things from the machine's point of view. It doesn't know whether the emails are valid or not...it just sends. And if things get too much out of hand, TCH has yet another blacklisted server to deal with. And that causes problems for everyone....especially if you're on a shared server.

Ok. I understand that to send out an email to our group I need to use one of these...php or dada or Mailman or something... I would be happy to use one of them if I could figure out how to set it up. I can download the program, but where do I go from there. I need to put some code in somewhere, but I don't know where. For instance, where do I find the "cigi bin"?

Thanks for the help. Fantastico was just what I needed.

I think I am making progress. I found and downloaded php and created a list. I figured out how to import the email addresses of our team members and parents and I've been through all or most of the various control links to figure out how the php program works.

Now, I have a new question. The system is set up for me to send out newsletters. This is not what we want to do with this list. I want group members to be able to use the list to send emails to everyone on the list. So, if someone sends an email to all@huronrowing.org, everyone on the list will receive the email. I don't think this is the default set up. How do I make this happen?

Don't know if that is possible. There is a forum specifically for phplist here and even offers a section "does phplist do this?". You might post on that area to get a quick response from other users.

FYI: A full list of phplist features is here for reference.

Ok. So I set things up with Php only to find out it won't work for my needs. I simply need to have way that everyone on the email list can sent an email to one address and have it circulate that email to everyone else. The people on the php list tell me this can't be done with php. They tell me to use mailman. So I need to know how to set up the mailman so that email will be sent to all 120 people. Is there some special batch process I need to tweak. I have the info from tech support regarding the amount of emails/hour etc. I just don't know if I need to do something special with mailman to set this up? Can someone help me with this? Thanks