Using A Tch Account W/o Domain Name

Currently have our school website, www.ncs-nj.org here. We have contracted with a specialty provider of PHP-based school websites, Schoolfusion.com, for our new site, which I am building now.

I believe we still want to maintain our existing TCH account so we can do blogs, galleries, and other PHP fun stuff. However, we want www.ncs-nj.org to point to the new server once the phase one build is complete.

What do I have to change when we are ready to do this (NOT NOW...)

Will I be able to refer to the TCH site simply by its IP? That would be fine ... I have no desire to reserve another domain name. :)

Thanks in advance,

-kj-

kj,

Accessing your site primarily by IP is against our TOS & AUP. You could set up subdomains on your TCH server and have whoever manages your DNS set the A records for those subdomains to point to our server. So ncs-nj.org points to wherever this new site is, and blog.ncs-nj.org points to our server here. If that makes sense.

kj,

Accessing your site primarily by IP is against our TOS & AUP. You could set up subdomains on your TCH server and have whoever manages your DNS set the A records for those subdomains to point to our server. So ncs-nj.org points to wherever this new site is, and blog.ncs-nj.org points to our server here. If that makes sense.

Hi Tim. I sorta get it...

Our provider's URL is http://northfield.groupfusion.net. That's not going to change. We want http://www.ncs-nj.org to point to their servers. I know a little about the A records, and I think TCH handles that for us. According to DNSStuff:

Searching for ncs-nj.org A record at h.root-servers.net [128.63.2.53]: Got referral to tld3.ultradns.org. (zone: org.) [took 8 ms]

Searching for ncs-nj.org A record at tld3.ultradns.org. [199.7.66.1]: Got referral to ns2.totalchoicehosting.com. (zone: ncs-nj.org.) [took 5 ms]

Searching for ncs-nj.org A record at ns2.totalchoicehosting.com. [65.254.32.122]: Reports ncs-nj.org. [took 19 ms]

Does that mean TCH handles our A records?

Thanks for the reply...

-kj-

I thought pointing a subdomain to another server was against TOS or AUP or whatever. What you are suggesting is the opposite, but would a customer still not get in trouble for doing what you suggest?