New Chat Room!

Head Guru

I am conducting a simple test.

TCH will be ramping up a IRC server (Live Chat) but to justify the investment, I wanted to test the waters.

SO without further delay... Here is the beta testing version of the new TCH CHAT ROOM!!

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/web-host...sting-chat.html

Please let me know if this is a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

Worked OK for me, but a little dead at this time of day :lol:

I'd prefer not to use the Java version - I know it will fail to get through my work firewall. But I guess if I point Trillian at the right place that should be fine.

Andy

you can use any irc client you want, i'm using Acid Max www.team-nexgen.com

the servername is webmaster.webchat.org and the port # 6667

Also, if you want to "float" the java chat window you can click on the box next to the x in the upper right corner of the chat window (not the upper right corner of your browser :lol: ) and that will detach the chat from the page and you can surf around and still have the chat window up.

Edited by leezard

you can use any irc client you want, i'm using Acid Max www.team-nexgen.com

the servername is webmaster.webchat.org and the port # 6667

Also, if you want to "float" the java chat window you can click on the box next to the x in the upper right corner of the chat window (not the upper right corner of your browser :lol: ) and that will detach the chat from the page and you can surf around and still have the chat window up.

Ok i went there but now what? What chat room?

mIRC.com chat software isn't working for me. I keep getting this error "#TCH Cannot join channel: Must identify to your nickname to join an unregistered channel."

What in the heck does that mean? btw the java thing still doesn't work but java works for me on other sites.

Hmmm......I don't understand why the java isn't working. As for the other, you'll need to register your nick with IRC to be able to identify with your nick. All that means is logging in with a UN and PW to your nick. I have just been using the java side, but I'll try to d/l another way to join so I can test it..

ImaD

no dont have to pay, go to http://www.webchat.org/ and click on register nick/chanel that will get your nick registered, then follow the directions in the e-mail they send you.

in the e-mail it will give you a command to type in to complete registration, to do that you open irc, connect to the server (niot the TCH chanel) and cut and paste the command and hit enter. the command line will look something like ths

/NICKSERV VERIFY AAAAAZgEgAy6lr8PcCoAAA-10864

after you do that then type in /nickserv identify password use the password you registered with once you have done that type /join #tch and your in.

kind of a lengthy process but this is just a test set up, if it goes well i think HG is going to set up a irc server thats just for TCH

Edited by leezard

leezards crash course in using trillian for IRC

first start up trillian, in the lower right hand corner you will see 5 circles, each circle represents a type of instant messaging client, the one in the center (light blue) is for IRC. Right click on the IRC button and then click connection manager.

Once the connection manager comes up where it says pick medium make sure IRC is selected. On the right you'll see a few dialog boxes, in the one that says servername type in backpack.webmaster.com in the space for port number type in 6667.

fill in the username space with your username, you can put in an alternate in case that name is taken. you dont HAVE to put your real name in the name space. you dont need to do anything on the ident tab. Assuming you have already registered a name and authenticated it according to the instructions in the e-mail click on the perform buffer tab and place a check where it says on connection perform these commands. In the box below type in /nickserv identify (password); /join #tch dont use the ( around your password. What this does is once you connect it authenticates your nickname and makes you autojoin the TCH chan. you dont HAVE to use the perform commands, once you are logged in you can simnply type /nickserv identify password and hit enter and then type /join #tch and hit enter.

now all you have to do is click connect, hmmm ok you clicked connect and nothig happened right? right click on the little circle icon again for IRC and you should have an option that says toggle window, click on that and it will bring up the irc chat window.

hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to pm or e-mail me mike@x-trememodz.com or just ask in this thread.

Edited by leezard

A little lost (as usual) :

....in the e-mail it will give you a command to type in to complete registration, to do that you open irc, connect to the server (niot the TCH chanel) and cut and paste the command and hit enter.

I don't have IRC, and they want $20 (except for stupid 'trial basis')

This means I'm stuck with the java applet right?

It's a pleasant surprise to see that not all the world is like (most of) the portuguese fellows... All people know around here is mIRC!

For them, there's no "IRC", there's only "mIRC". Most people here don't even know the difference between one and the other... :)

Anyway, for those of you interested in a free IRC client, you may want to try XChat. It was made with Linux in mind but there's a version for windows too.

http://xchat.org

http://xchat.org/files/binary/win32/

Borfast - thanks for you PM. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Prizes went out today, so allow 1-2 weeks for shipment.

ok back on track -

Trillian is nice to run with IRC.

Give it a shot and stop in and chat a bit.

Bill

eheh

Thanks Bill :)

I'll post a picture of me with the prize, when it arrives :lol:

As for the IRC channel, strange stuff is happening there... I'm not sure why but my nickname registration keeps getting deleted :lol:

Is anyone having the same problem?

Yes, I have received the confirmation e-mail and entered that "/nickserv verify blabla" stuff.

I have even been in the channel but now it says that I must have a registered and identified nick to enter an unregistered channel.......

Talk about confusion!

First, it didn't let me identify to nickserv, it said my nickname is not registered.

So I registered once again.

Then I tried identifying to nickserv again and this time it lets me.

Then I tried to join #TCH but it said "#tch :Cannot join channel: Must identify to your nickname to join an unregistered channel."

Does anyone understand what's going on??

ok everyone sing along...

mike has tooooooo much time on his hands..... (i forget who sings the song)

anyway, i hacked up an irc script that normally shows system stats and made it so that it shows links to usefull TCH pages. might be useful for the support staff if the chat thing takes off. I am in irc pretty much 24/7 (i may or may not actually be AT my computer) so let me know if you wanna see/use it

(couldn't resist :unsure: )

TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS

(Written by Tommy Shaw)

Styx - Lead Vocals by Tommy Shaw

Sitting on this barstool talking like a damn fool

Got the twelve o'clock news blues

And I've given up hope on the afternoon soaps

And a bottle of cold brew

Is it any wonder I'm not crazy? Is it any wonder I'm sane at all

Well I'm so tired of losing- I got nothing to do and all day to do it

I go out cruisin' but I've no place to go and all night to get there

Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal?

Is it any wonder I'm not in jail?

Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands, it's ticking away with my sanity

I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity

I've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away from me

Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands

Too much time on my hands

Well, I'm a jet fuel genius - I can solve the world's problems

Without even trying

I have dozens of friends and the fun never ends

That is, as long as I'm buying

Is it any wonder I'm not the president

(He's not the president)

Is it any wonder I'm null and void?

Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands, it's ticking away at my sanity

I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity

I've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away from me

Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands

Too much time on my hands

I too a, trying to set up trillian and keep running into the same errors as borfast....???

Guys,

If you are using Trillian with leezard's instructions, here's what we figure: The server auth is too slow for the /join #tch statement to be added to your auto-commands.

So the IRC log shows that the username is already in use by someone else because the /join tries to happen before the username/pwd are authenticated. Once the auth takes place you can manually /join.

Am I making any sense here? Sorry, this is my first experience with IRC and frankly just don't get it (compared to the simplicity of "Big 3 Chat Clients" (aim, yim, msnmsg).

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to make a suggestion.

Don't have Java IRC connect automatically. Have an option and a link for those using mIRC version 5.82 and above .

The link would be irc://arena.webchat.org/tch or which ever server you want to use.

I can't create that link on this forum because it's mean and won't let me.

Just make sure to set your options in mIRC.

In the File/Options/IRC/Catcher/ dialog you'll see some options to 'Enable support for chat links' and to '(Always) Confirm chat link requests'. For safety reasons better keep the latter enabled.

mirc_options.jpg

As long as there is someone in the channel, you do not need to register your nickname.

I’m in that channel right now and will continue to stay in there, unless my computer crashes, to keep the channel open. I’m on IRC all the time so one more channel and server won’t kill me. Now me being at my computer is another story.

Rick pops in sometimes, so you can bug him there. :)

Anyway…

If you need to download mIRC just go to their website at http://mirc.com

It only cost $20 to register but you can use it free also. As a free use, the nag screen comes up very seldom and not an annoyance.