Using A Webpage To Access Files Stored On Storage Server

kaseytraeger

Hey folks!

Been a long time since my last post. I've recently hit a problem that I can't find an answer to. I'm sure someone here at the TCH forums has come across this before and knows the solution.

One of my coworkers has handed over his website to me with the request of "fix the annoying things." One of these annoyances has to do with accessing files that are stored on one of our local servers (not the web server). My coworker does not want to store these documents on the web server. Instead, he wants to keep them on the server's V: drive and provide links in the web pages to the documents instead of having duplicate copies of the documents in his web space.

So he creates a web page using MS Frontpage and adds a link that looks like this:

><a href="file:///V:/myspace/soma/IQ%20Mod%20Chassis/pdf/front%20dim%20iq%20mod.pdf">Front dimensions</a>

If I now access the webpage using Internet Explorer, clicking the link immediately opens the PDF file on my computer. Conversely, nothing happens when clicking the link from within Firefox. My coworker would like the link to work in Firefox exactly as it works in Internet Explorer, i.e., the document should be seamlessly accessed and opened on the computer.

Anyone know how to get this to work in Firefox?

Thanks so much!

Kasey :)

Thanks for the tip, Bruce. I checked my computer and my coworker's. We both had our download options set to automatically open PDFs, so apparently, that's not the root cause of this problem. :angry: :wallbash: Guess I need to keep doing more digging.

Here are a couple of extensions you can try.

ViewSourceWith - open PDF links with Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader or what you prefer

PDF Download - Allows to choose if you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as PDF or HTML), if you want to view it outside Firefox with your default or custom PDF reader, or if you want to download it!

Maybe one of them will help.