Index Manager

Is there any info on how to properly use the index manager? I tried using it the other day but ended up messing up a few things on my site. Thankfully TCH came to the rescue and restored my site for me.

I understand Index Manager as being a way to stop people from viewing the folders contents. For example if a site had a www.mysite.com/images some would could just type that in and get a full list of the contents and download all the pictures or whatever might be in there.

So, that being the case how do you know what to set the folders permissions to, and what things should you not do this to.

Could you do this to your MT blog folder or Invision board folder, would this cause problems because things have to execute within there?

That's all the questions for now, any info would be appreciated,

Mav

What kind of folder needs an index, what folder do you set to the text or to the graphics and what one do you set to no index. Their must a set of rules governing what you should and shouldn't do, right?

I want to protect my content from all out ripe pickings, and folder view makes that very easy in my picture galleries. But I run Gallerie and MT along with a few other things. I messed up the site once by index a few folders that apparently didn't take well to being set to no index.

Mav

Well there's no real "rules" actually.

Default System Setting

Just your plan ol' index, it'll list all the files and folders inside this folder as long as you don't have an "index.html" or .php or .htm or... well you get the point

No Indexes

Turns off the above settings, so when you try to just put in the path for the folder, you see a message that says you dont have access to this data.

Standard Indexing (text only)

Fancying Indexing (graphics)

These are both indexes that are just slightly diffrent, but still gives anybody access to the data inside the folder.

It's a good point to bring up that if it ends up screwing up your stuff (like say your running phpnuke or moveabletype) then just change it back to what it was before. I've found it pretty easy to go back and forth between them.

Hope this helps a little bit more!

Yeah that's what I thought, although I would like to note that sometimes it doesn't reconvert.... I'm sure Rick can confirm that one. Some of the folders wouldn't go back to the original status and he had to use a back up of my site. Craziest thing, I couldn't get the folders to change back at all, messed up my site.

mav

I know this isn't a direct answer to the question orginally posted...

But couldn't you just put an index.htm file in every folder? Blank page just so that there's an index page.

That's what I do... but I might be missing something.

LOL I'm a freak, but I personally LIKE getting a list of the available images... I use it all the time. When I have a bunch of images for me to use, or for someone to preview, I just throw them up in a folder and let them view the file list... it saves me having to hand-write a listing! :o