Just Wondering...

I've heard people say that they have had so many hits in a day that their server couldn't support it, or it crashed their website. Can this happen? How many hits would it take for that to occur?

www.slashdot.com

If they find your site and write about it they will generate many hits to your site, upwards of millions.

Unless you become extremely popular you have nothing to worry about.

There are some popular sites such as slashdot.com and digg.com which list sites of interest and they have tens of thousands of readers so when a story "hits" the front page, a lot of servers choke because several ten-thousands come to the site pretty much at once.

That, sometimes called the "slashdot effect", would be a challenge for the TCH servers but just normal usage wouldn't phase them. As Bruce said, you'd have to become extremely popular to even have to worry about it.

I don't know much about TCH's customers, but from the forums I know there are several pretty popular sites and none, to my best recollection, have caused problems with traffic overload. If you got that popular that it would cause a problem I'm sure there would be enough benefits to it to justify a dedicated server. :)