Help

steve1

:huh: Recently because of circumstances beyond my control I have had to change my index page. Previously I ran free listings for other people and had over 300 listings on my index page which seamed to give my page a very high ranking.

Now without those listings the traffic ti my index page has cone to 20% of what it was.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions as to what I need to do to get back where I was. ;)

http://www.reiki-seichim-masters-australia.com

:tchrocks:

The links from your page do have an effect on your ranking, but it's a relatively small effect. The biggest thing you can do is get a lot of relevant links TO your page. It seems you only have about 50-ish from a real quick Google search. The more people linking to your site from relevant sites, the more important you seem and the more likely Google will send people to your site. They figure that if no one is linking to you then you have nothing good to say.

Previously I ran free listings for other people and had over 300 listings

Were they all linking back to your page? Did they stop linking to you? THAT will impact your ranking.

Incoming quality links are what get you ranked well so if you can convince those people to keep the links to your site, it will help.

The links I had on my index page were lints to names and details(listed on the page by town)

With links to me (like you described) does it matter if they are on my index page or on my links page, or as long as they are on my site it they will be picked up.

Also is there a program that will tell me how many links a site has?

Edited by steve1

The links to you should all be to the same page - usually the homepage. Remember that search engines don't have a concept really of sites, just pages. 30 links to page A and 30 links to page B are worth 30+30, not 60.

You can get a good estimate of how many links your site has by typing into, say Google for instance,

reiki-seichim-masters-australia.+com (notice the plus sign after the dot)

At the top it will say Results 1 - 30 of about 52 -- 52 is approximately what you have from other sites that Google recognizes.

Work at it, of course, but don't panic - for the term "reiki seichim australia" you rank #1. Now get those other phases people will use to find you up there and you're set!

With links to me (like you described) does it matter if they are on my index page or on my links page, or as long as they are on my site it they will be picked up.

It does not matter for YOUR site if outgoing links have been removed. It can effect the receiving site's rankings.

It DOES matter to YOUR ranking if the incomping links you had are no longer there. If 300 sites were all linking to you and now they are not, it will impact your ranking. Especially if those sites are well established and have good rankings on similar topics.

To see who is linking to your site go to google and type in:

links: reiki-seichim-masters-australia.com

I see about 35

(Started this post and got called away before I could hit submit...when I got back, found it had already been answered :clapping:)