Home Network Problem

rnmcd

I have a D-link router and a laptoop (with a wireless card) and a DESKTOP (with a 10/100 PCI card).

For some reason, when I boot my DESKTOP I cannot connect to it from my laptop.

When I first boot the DESKTOP and look at the Properties of the Local Area Connection the Address Type says "Automatic Private Address." Then after about 20 minutes it changes to "Assigned by DHCP." At that time I am able to connect to the DESKTOP.

Does this show what my problem is and would anyone have an idea how to fix it so it stays at "Assigned by DHCP?"

Thanks.

Hello,

This wouldn't be a tosh laptop would it?

Anyway, have you thought of using permanent addresses rather then using DHCP. It should be faster.

It takes about 10 secs to see my d-link router to see my desktop.

JimE

It's a Dell laptop.

I have given that some thought but I wasn't sure how to do it.

I guess I have to know the IP of the DESKTOP after it gets assigned by the DHCP then set that IP in the router software?

Are both your router and laptop set for DHCP? I would suspect that the laptop is set to assign its own IP and after awhile the router finally assigns one.

An article on Automatic Private addresses is here:

h_tp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q220874/

If you do not know how to set up a network, the easiest way is to set things up for DHCP and let the router do all the work.

Here is an article to help setup your network:

h_tp://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/mmr_intro.htm

Are both your router and laptop set for DHCP? I would suspect that the laptop is set to assign its own IP and after awhile the router finally assigns one.

An article on Automatic Private addresses is here:

h_tp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q220874/

If you do not know how to set up a network, the easiest way is to set things up for DHCP and let the router do all the work.

Here is an article to help setup your network:

h_tp://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/mmr_intro.htm

The router and the laptop 'connect' to each other successfully each time but the DESKTOP doesn't connect with the router or with the laptop (and vice versa).

The only way that I have DHCP enabled is via the router's admin screen that I open up via a browser.

Is there another way to enable DHCP ?

I will read those articles.

Thanks.

The router and the laptop 'connect' to each other successfully each time but the DESKTOP doesn't connect with the router or with the laptop (and vice versa).

Sorry I misunderstood and thought it was laptop trouble. Lets see if I can give you the step-by-steps to setup the desktop.

First make sure your desktop network is setup to obtain an IP. I will assume you have XP...

Go into Control Panel and then Network Connections and on the right select or highlight the "Local Area Connection" you are using. On the left select "change settings of this connection". This will bring up a Local Area Connection Properties dialog box. Select or highlight the "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server Address automatically" is checked. click OK. Click OK again.

Now lets run the Network wizard to setup a home network.

Go into Control Panel and then Network Connections and on the left select "Set up a home or small office network". This will run the Network Setup Wizard. Select "next" twice, select the second option "This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network" and click next. Give the computer a unique name, you can leave the description blank and click next. You can use the Workgroup name listed or makeup one and click next. Leave the first option selected (turn on file and print sharing...), click next. click next again. Now the network thinks. Select the last option, "just finish the wizard..." and click next. Click finish and reboot the computer.

Let us know how this goes.

Sorry I misunderstood and thought it was laptop trouble. Lets see if I can give you the step-by-steps to setup the desktop.

First make sure your desktop network is setup to obtain an IP. I will assume you have XP...

Go into Control Panel and then Network Connections and on the right select or highlight the "Local Area Connection" you are using. On the left select "change settings of this connection". This will bring up a Local Area Connection Properties dialog box. Select or highlight the "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

I have looked for the "change settings of this connection" in the past (as well as after reading your post) but I cannot find it. I don't have what I would call a left side vs. right side in the Network Connections page.

I am using WinXP Pro and in Classic View if that makes any difference.

Now lets run the Network wizard to setup a home network.

Go into Control Panel and then Network Connections and on the left select "Set up a home or small office network". This will run the Network Setup Wizard. Select "next" twice, select the second option "This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network" and click next. Give the computer a unique name, you can leave the description blank and click next. You can use the Workgroup name listed or makeup one and click next. Leave the first option selected (turn on file and print sharing...), click next. click next again. Now the network thinks. Select the last option, "just finish the wizard..." and click next. Click finish and reboot the computer.

Does it matter which computer (Desktop or laptop) that I run the Network Setup Wizard? EDIT: I see that the Wizard needs to be run on ALL computers in the network.

By the way, my settings for the Desktop are as you described in the previous post. I read the windowsnetworking.com article and set a User Configured IP in the Alternate Settings tab and that didn't seem to work either.

Edited by rnmcd

I ran the Wizard on the DESKTOP and now the Address Type is "<Unavailable>".

I ran the Wizard on the DESKTOP again and "repaired" the connection then rebooted. Now, on my desktop it immediately displays "Assigned by DHCP"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah :)

BUT (oh the humanity :) ) each time I have since ran the Wizard on my laptop I get an error message, "Windows cannot set up this computer to share its Internet connection becauses the IP address it needs (192.168.0.1) is being used by another computer or device on the network, or by software running on this computer. To continue, please disable the other device or software."

At this time the DESKTOP is turned off. The IP 192.168.0.1 is the same that I put in my browser to access the router's admin page.

Any idea what need to do? Do I have to unplug my laptop's wireless card or turn off the router?

Edited by rnmcd

Ok, looks like you are almost there. Check the laptop and see if you have the 192.168.0.1 IP assigned to it. A network cannot have duplicated IP's and you cannot change the IP of the router so it stays with 192.168.0.1 and you change the laptop to get an IP from the router.

Ok, looks like you are almost there. Check the laptop and see if you have the 192.168.0.1 IP assigned to it. A network cannot have duplicated IP's and you cannot change the IP of the router so it stays with 192.168.0.1 and you change the laptop to get an IP from the router.

I did an ipconfig /all and the only place that 192.168.0.1 showed up was for the Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS Server. That address was in the "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection"

I'm lost again. I'm not sure where to find the laptop IP.

Sorry, I gave the instructions for setting the IP in my previous reply. Here it is...

Go into Control Panel and then Network Connections and on the right select or highlight the "Local Area Connection" you are using. On the left select "change settings of this connection". This will bring up a Local Area Connection Properties dialog box. Select or highlight the "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server Address automatically" is checked. click OK. Click OK again.

Now I would also suggest you run the network wizard on the laptop again. Sometimes you need to redo things several times to get all the pieces in the right places so they all work together.

I had made sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server Address automatically" were checked. I have ran the wizard at least 8 times and each time it says that IP 192.168.0.1 is already being used.

Another thing I have noticed is that when I click "View Wireless Networks" the next screen says,

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you want Windows to configure this connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WCZ) service. For information about startng the "WCZ" service, see article 87122 in the Microsoft Knolwedge Base on the microsft.com Web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could this be a part of my problem?

Hello,

Does your laptop have XP? If so, can you see the wireless network? I am guessing with your error above, you can not.

If on XP, goto start > right click on my computer > manage > services and applications > services and scroll down.

Make sure the follow are automatic and started:

Wireless zero Configuration

JimE

P.S. Doh, just noted thats the first "help" topic on that link. Thats normally the problem I have when setting up XP networks.

I'm running out of ideas here :)

try this article, and reload the drivers for your wireless card.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;313242

Do you think the problem is due to PC hardware problems, router problems, Windows XP corruption, or some other software problem?

I see there is a Linksys router on sale at Best Buy for $50. Considering how much time I have spent on this, $50 doesn't seem like too much money anymore....

It doesnt matter about the router, its the laptop which is the problem.

You need to make it connect wireless to the desktop first (Am i right in assuming the desktop has a wireless card in it and the the router does not have wireless features?)

JimE

It doesnt matter about the router, its the laptop which is the problem.

You need to make it connect wireless to the desktop first (Am i right in assuming the desktop has a wireless card in it and the the router does not have wireless features?)

JimE

The laptop has a dial-up internet connection and a U.S. Robotics wireless card. The Desktop has a 10/100 NIC card and is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

This setup worked a few months ago when the router had a WAN connection to DSL. I could share the DSL between the laptop and desktop and I could share files between the laptop and desktop.

I have moved since then and have a different internet connection and I can no longer get everything to communicate properly.

Hello,

Does your laptop have XP? If so, can you see the wireless network? I am guessing with your error above, you can not.

If on XP, goto start > right click on my computer > manage > services and applications > services and scroll down.

JimE

P.S. Doh, just noted thats the first "help" topic on that link. Thats normally the problem I have when setting up XP networks.

Oops. I didn't notice your first reply until after I responded to you second one.

Both laptop and desktop have WinXP Pro. I'm not sure how to tell if I can see the wireless network. I see that I have a strong wireless signal but I can't connect to the shared files on the desktop...

I have tried to start "Wireless zero Configuration" via the Services but it doesn't start. I don't recall the error message I get (I'm not at my home right now).

Sounds like you have a wired router and are using Windows Internect Connection Services.

I would just replace the router with a wireless router and cut out the middleware.

I have a wireless/wired router. The laptop connects wirelessly to the router. The Desktop connects via an ethernet cable to the router.

This setup worked a few months ago when the router had a WAN connection to DSL. I could share the DSL between the laptop and desktop and I could share files between the laptop and desktop.

AHHHHH!!!!

Ok, you didn't mention this earlier and thus I've been going down the wrong path. You've changed the Network and it won't work the same way anymore. I'm at work at the moment and don't have time to think this through, so give me a little while to get home and have brew and think this out while relaxing ;).

AHHHHH!!!!

Ok, you didn't mention this earlier and thus I've been going down the wrong path. You've changed the Network and it won't work the same way anymore. I'm at work at the moment and don't have time to think this through, so give me a little while to get home and have brew and think this out while relaxing ;).

Sorry about that (not telling about how it worked under a different setup).

All I really want to be able to do is be able to share files between the two computers. I wil have a dial-up connection on the laptop for the time being.

I don't need to share the dial-up connection. At some point I will get a high-speed connection (via a wireless internet company) but I haven't even got around to putting the receiver on my roof yet.

FWIW...I have a laptop for work that uses a wireless card. When using the software for the wireless card, I get the same error you showed above when using XP's "View Wireless connections". If the wireless on the laptop is a PCMCIA card (and you have the installation disks handy), you might want to remove the software and reinstall it. It does sound possibly like a driver issue on the laptop.

If you don't have the installation software, you might be able to download from the card's website. Just my $.02 worth.

Edited by stevevan

Ok, I'm home and relaxed.

I don't need to share the dial-up connection.
Thats good, cause trying to share dialup is a bit difficult and agonizingly slow and its been a long time since I've setup and used ICS.

All I really want to be able to do is be able to share files between the two computers.

A simple peer to peer network...ok. But getting there is the issue since you may have a more complicated one setup and we'll need to tear it down and rebuild it on all computers. From your latest description it sounds like we have two of the pieces talking and need to get the third (laptop) talking.

As I previously suggested and Steve has seconded, there is something not working correctly on the laptop...yes it worked before but isn't now because you changed what you are trying to accomplish. I suspect its the wireless cards drivers or a program that is running on the laptop. You need to either replace those drivers or remove the program to get back to where you can run the wizard and setup a simple home network that allows file sharing.

Do you have an idea of what the program maybe? Do you have disks or manuals for the card that would give you a clue to these questions? Who got the network working before you moved, did they load something? Is it a program your old ISP loaded to get the Internet to work on all your computers?

I just booted my desktop and it's back to Address Type displaying "Automatic Private Address."

I haven't installed any programs since changing the router/PC configuration.

I set up the previous network myself.

Have you any idea why the Network Wizard says "Windows cannot set up this computer to share its Internet connection becauses the IP address it needs (192.168.0.1) is being used by another computer or device on the network, or by software running on this computer. To continue, please disable the other device or software."?

Does my Post #13 provided any clues?

Does my Post #13 provided any clues?
From post#13
I did an ipconfig /all and the only place that 192.168.0.1 showed up was for the Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS Server. That address was in the "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection"

This tells me that the Laptop is attempting to join the network and it has an IP 192.168.0.1. But your current network (Router and Desktop) already is using that IP and a network cannot allow two devices on the network with the same IP. The router's ethernet connection has the IP 192.168.0.1 preassigned to it.

So what needs to be done is the ethernet connection (wireless card) in the laptop needs to be configured to obtain an IP from the device (router) which is acting as the DHCP server.

So what needs to be done is the ethernet connection (wireless card) in the laptop needs to be configured to obtain an IP from the device (router) which is acting as the DHCP server.

The ethernet connection for the laptop is the wireless card? The laptop also has an ethernet connection that is for a network cable, right?

Is there a way for me to physically assign a new IP address for the laptop? Would that be something I might want to try?

The ethernet connection for the laptop is the wireless card? The laptop also has an ethernet connection that is for a network cable, right?
From post#1
I have a D-link router and a laptoop (with a wireless card) and a DESKTOP (with a 10/100 PCI card).

I'm using information that you've given us and if the laptop has a builtin ethernet connection I did not know that...but it is possible and yes you could use that to connect to the network with a cable. Maybe this is why you are having problems, you are confusing the two connections and not configuring the right one.

Is there a way for me to physically assign a new IP address for the laptop?

Yes there is but its usually easier to let the DHCP server assign them. I've given you instructions in post#6 to have the DHCP assign you an IP, instead of that option select to manually assign one of your choice. But if you do it in one you will need to do it in all the computers and you will need to configure the router to not be the DHCP server...alot more work then what you want to do.

So, you have several options, some more complicated then the others. Do you need to have the laptop be wireless or could you use a cable? If you use the hardwire cable and the builtin ethernet card AND remove the wireless card...it maybe easier to configure and connect to the network.

Hello,

JimE

Here's the message I get when I start WZC.

Could not start the Wireless Zero Configuration service on local computer.

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

From post#1

I'm using information that you've given us and if the laptop has a builtin ethernet connection I did not know that...but it is possible and yes you could use that to connect to the network with a cable. Maybe this is why you are having problems, you are confusing the two connections and not configuring the right one.

Is just disabling built in ethernet connection worth a try?

Yes.

Go into Device Manager and look under Network adapters and right click on the correct adapter and select disable.

Nuts, I disable the LAN connection on the laptop and I tried to run the Wizard again and it still won't let me set the network up because of the IP issue.

It looks like my laptop is assigned IP address that is NOT 192.168.0.1. So I wonder where the conflict is.

By the way, when I try to setup the new network do I need to delete (somehow) the existing network? It says that I'm still connected and I have an excellent signal strength.

Edited by rnmcd

Ummm, are you now connected or not?

I'm connected to the router, apparently, but I haven't set up the network using the Network Wizard since I changed my configuration (removed DSL and replaced it with dial-up on the laptop) and ran the Wizard on the DESKTOP.

I can't connect to my desktop's shared files or even ping the desktop until the desktop has been running for about 20 minutes and the IP address finally resolves itself.

Ok, I am getting reaally confused now and not sure what we are working on. In post #11 you said the Desktop was now working but the laptop was not and since then we've been trying to get the laptop connected. But now you are saying its the desktop that is not connected?

Are we flip flopping back and forth here between the two working and not working at different times?

Ok, I am getting reaally confused now and not sure what we are working on. In post #11 you said the Desktop was now working but the laptop was not and since then we've been trying to get the laptop connected. But now you are saying its the desktop that is not connected?

Are we flip flopping back and forth here between the two working and not working at different times?

Regarding post #11, after I ran the Wizard and clicked REPAIR for the IP it resolved to Assigned by DHCP. Then I turned the desktop off and when I started it the next day it said the Address Type was Anonymous again. Now when I click "repair" it says something about unable to find or resolve...

So my desktop did work properly for a short time. Now it doesn't.

I still can't run through the Wizard on my laptop without the IP conflict message.

ok, so we have two problems...whew, I'm not confused :)

So, we've been spending a lot of time here and at this point I don't think we're making any progress. What I would suggest is you find a friend who knows a little about network and have him/her sit at those computers and see if they can get you running again.

Working long distance like this is difficult and there maybe a simple solution that I cannot see because I am not there. Do you have someone like that who could possibly help? If not you may have to pay for a tech to come out and look at it. Or maybe someone else can jump in with a suggestion.

Not sure if any of this is relevant, but I'll throw it in anyway...

In the past I have had difficulty in getting certain laptops to connect to a wireless network. Often there are two different utilities for connecting - one is the Microsoft version but often the other will be a utility made by the manufacturer of your card. So if you are trying the Microsoft one, then maybe try the other.

Also in regard to the IP conflict, you may want to check the IP addresses that are being handed out by the router. For example, on my network my modem/router is 192.168.1.1, my wireless access point is 192.168.1.2 and my two printers are 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4 (ie I have assigned static IPs to all of them). The router has been configured to hand out addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199, therefore avoiding handing out any addresses already in use.

Anyway, it may not help but maybe these are two more suspects you can eliminate.

Cheers,

Dave

Not sure if any of this is relevant, but I'll throw it in anyway...

In the past I have had difficulty in getting certain laptops to connect to a wireless network. Often there are two different utilities for connecting - one is the Microsoft version but often the other will be a utility made by the manufacturer of your card. So if you are trying the Microsoft one, then maybe try the other.

Also in regard to the IP conflict, you may want to check the IP addresses that are being handed out by the router. For example, on my network my modem/router is 192.168.1.1, my wireless access point is 192.168.1.2 and my two printers are 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4 (ie I have assigned static IPs to all of them). The router has been configured to hand out addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199, therefore avoiding handing out any addresses already in use.

Anyway, it may not help but maybe these are two more suspects you can eliminate.

Cheers,

Dave

What is the best way to check ALL of the IP addresses? I do an ipconfig /all from the command prompt but I'm not able to discern which address belong to which piece of hardware.

printers??? You have a network enabled printer connected to the router?

I have one but it's unplugged from the router at this time (until I figure this out). I have a shared printer connected to the desktop at this time.

I have one but it's unplugged from the router at this time (until I figure this out).

Ok, these are called curveballs...little things that are hard to hit because they do unexpected things. Especially when we don't know they are coming. If you have a printer and it has an ethernet card then it has an IP and yes this maybe whats causing your problem. But I'm not there and I can't see what you have or what everything is doing.

Do you know or have anyone with networking experience who can look at this for you?

Ok, these are called curveballs...little things that are hard to hit because they do unexpected things. Especially when we don't know they are coming. If you have a printer and it has an ethernet card then it has an IP and yes this maybe whats causing your problem. But I'm not there and I can't see what you have or what everything is doing.

Do you know or have anyone with networking experience who can look at this for you?

I don't know anyone but I'll keep plugging away on this.

I think the problem must be not as difficult as I have made it to be. Like I said I had the network going well for quite a while but after a hardware configuration change there is some conflict. My guess is that is still operating/configured for the setup I had prior.

I think the problem must be not as difficult as I have made it to be.
Yes its possible thats its a very simple solution. But to find it we would need all the information.

Like I said I had the network going well for quite a while but after a hardware configuration change there is some conflict.

Explain what hardware changes were made. What did you add and what was removed. I assumed this was a simple peer to peer network that had just lost connectivity. As we've moved along with possible fixes its becoming clearer that this was a more complicated network setup using XP Pro and LAN printers and possibly more.

So supply us with all the information you can, what the network was before and after and we'll see if we can hang in there with you and get it resolved. But I'll probably be asking alot more questions :clapping:.

I can now :clapping:

Besides a drawing, maybe a couple photos showing the connections (to make sure all cords are going where they should) would be helpful since we can not see what you see.

What is the best way to check ALL of the IP addresses? I do an ipconfig /all from the command prompt but I'm not able to discern which address belong to which piece of hardware.

As has already been suggested, you can do an ipconfig at each machine. Also, when you view your router settings there should be a page somewhere showing you which IP addresses have been allocated to each device.

Lets start off with some router questions.

Have you log into it since the move and run the "Wizard"?

Have you powered off the router?

In the router program when you click on the Wireless button on the left side:

Click on the DHCP Release and then the continue button when its completed. Then click on Renew

go to each computer and in the command prompt type "ipconfig release" then "ipconfig renew"

Click the DHCP button:

Is DHCP enabled or disabled?

What is the starting IP Address?

What is the ending IP Address?

What is the lease time?

Click the LAN button:

What is the IP?

What is the subnet mask?

Hello,

If you can reply to Madmanmcp post before mine, that would be appreciated in the whole line of things.

This is my take on things and a solution, if its not, please let me know as explicitley as possible.

---------------------------------------

Setup Phone line comes into D-link wireless-router. This is then connected via a LAN to the desktop PC. You also have a laptop which you connects wirelessly to the router. You want to share files between laptop and PC desktop.

Problem 1. You laptop is slow in getting a IP from the router

Problem 2 You can't access your PC dekstop from his laptop.

----------------------------------------

First off, name and model number of the dlink router please.

Then turn on your router and your PC and laptop, allow all to connect and get an IP. Then:

1. Please disconnect any scanners, printers or anything else attached to any of the computers.

2. Login to your d-link router, and go into your DHCP and check that it looks like mine. Write these down somewhere. Please report back here them too.

post-97-1152872082_thumb.jpg

3. On your desktop PC, goto start > run and type in "CMD" (no " though!) Press return. Now type in "ipconfig /all" and see what it says. Write these down somewhere. Please report back here them too.

Mine says:

>C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home
	Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
	Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
	IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
	WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
	Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter(rev.B) #2
	Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
	IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
	Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
	Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
	DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

4. On the same PC, turn OFF any firewall you have running (you can turn them on later). If you have no firewall running, but its running XP SP2, goto the control panel, windows firewall and turn it off.

5. Last but not least, on the desktop pc, goto start > right click on my computer >properties > computer name and tell me what the workgroup is please.

Right, thats the router sorted out and the desktop PC. Leave them alone for now.

6. On your Laptop, I want you to do the following:

By the clock, will be an icon with a wireless waves coming from it, click on status. It will show you connected to the router. Click on properties. Make sure file and sharing are there. Now, click on TCP/IP and properties.

At this stage, you will see that it has "Obtain IP automatically". Change it by clicking "use the following IP address".

Now, in the boxes, type the following details:

IP Address Type in the all the digits like displayed on your desktop PC. The last number, add 3 to do and put it in. E.g. 192.168.1.5

For subnet and default gateway, use the same as what you copied down from your desktop PC. E.g. mine is:

7. On the next bit down, make sure it has "Use the following DNS server address". This should be set to the value seen on your desktop PC, e.g. :

8. If you close this and go back to the network properties, click on wireless networks at the top, highlight the wireless network which is shown and then click properties > connection and make sure that box is always ticked!

9. Now Close that all and still on the laptop, goto oto start > right click on my computer >properties > computer name. The workgroup must be EXCATLEY the same as the desktop one. However, the computer name must be different. If not, click on "more" and change the name and/or the workgroup. Remember, workgroup must match, the name must not!.

10. Turn OFF any firewall you have running (you can turn them on later) on the laptop. If you have no firewall running, but its running XP SP2, goto the control panel, windows firewall and turn it off.

11. Reboot the laptop. It will connect quicker to the router now and you should then be able to browse the network by going to start > my network places and view the workgroup computers.

Let me know how that goes please.

JimE

I will reply soon. I'm not at home right now so I can't get all the correct info.

All I want now is to be able to share files between the laptop and PC. Yes I do have a network enabled printer and a dialup connection but then DO NOT need to be shared or even part of the network.

I have been reading that some folks with a similiar issue found it was a corrupted winsock.

Lets start off with some router questions.

Have you log into it since the move and run the "Wizard"? Scores of times

Have you powered off the router? yes, and reset it numbers of times

In the router program when you click on the Wireless button on the left side (my router program must display different than yours...the Wireless button is in the middle):

Click on the DHCP Release and then the continue button when its completed (there isn't a DHCP release button in my software). Then click on Renew (there isn't a DHCP release button in my software)

go to each computer and in the command prompt type "ipconfig release" then "ipconfig renew" (ok, did it)

Click the DHCP button:

Is DHCP enabled or disabled? enabled

What is the starting IP Address? 100

What is the ending IP Address? 199

What is the lease time? doesn't display it in my router software

Click the LAN button:

What is the IP? 192.168.0.1

What is the subnet mask? 255.255.255.0

EDIT: when trying to do a ipconfig /renew on the DESKTOP, I received this message: An error occured while renewing interface Network Bridge (Network Bridge 3) :unable to contact your DHCP sersver. Request has timed out.

Edited by rnmcd

Hello,

If you can reply to Madmanmcp post before mine, that would be appreciated in the whole line of things.

This is my take on things and a solution, if its not, please let me know as explicitley as possible.

Setup Phone line comes into D-link wireless-router. This is then connected via a LAN to the desktop PC. You also have a laptop which you connects wirelessly to the router. You want to share files between laptop and PC desktop.

Problem 1. You laptop is slow in getting a IP from the router

First off, name and model number of the dlink router please.

Jim, I'll describe my configuration before I answer the rest of youf questions in case you need to ask something different.

Setup Phone line comes into LAPTOP. The router is then connected via a LAN to the desktop PC. You also have a laptop which you connects wirelessly to the router. You want to share files between laptop and PC desktop.

Problem 1. You DESKTOP is slow in getting a IP from the router

Edited by rnmcd

Hello,

Ah, now things become a bit clearer.

If this is true (please say so):

Phone Line comes into laptop

Laptop connects wirelessly to router

Router connects to desktop via lan

If so, read this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d_02july01.mspx

I believe the problem then is that your laptop and the router are giving out DHCP addresses maybe? Also, (sorry a bit rusty here, its 4am here) its likely that there is a network conflict going on either with the IP or subnet, but I am not sure which.

Does the router connect to the internet by itself?

If the first point is true, and the router does connect to the internet when you want it too, you will need to do a manual setup of the network yourself.

What I would do first, is disable the modem and its settings and find a network cable and disable the wireless too for the time being and get the whole internal network running with wires first. Forget about the internet.

As a side point when thats working, remember that the laptop IP address for the phone line will be determined by the ISP. Set to automatic.

The rest of them, which is the wireless laptop, the router and the pc lan must all be set to run off its own network with thier own unique settings (Remember the workgroup must be the same)

Only when you have it working via wires and without internet should you start to add in the more complicated stuff.

JimE

EDIT: when trying to do a ipconfig /renew on the DESKTOP, I received this message: An error occured while renewing interface Network Bridge (Network Bridge 3) :unable to contact your DHCP sersver. Request has timed out.
Sounds like the Desktop networking has been corrupted. First I question why you are using a network bridge, this doesn't sound right and the third version of a bridge is even more suspicious. "I" would lean toward removing all the networks, remove the network card and uninstall all the networking services and basically start from scratch. Putting the card back in and restoring all the drivers and networking services. But lets see what others think.

I also found this "fix":

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...ficbroblems.htm

Problem: Renewing a DHCP lease fails, with error message “An error occurred while renewing interface <name>: The system cannot find the file specified.”

Problem: Network connection configured to obtain an IP address automatically has IP address 0.0.0.0

Solution: Make sure that the DHCP Client service is running:

Right click My Computer, and click Manage.

Double click Services and Applications.

Double click Services.

Double click DHCP Client. If the Service status is Stopped, click Start.

Set the Startup type to Automatic.

Now I am confused again, but it may explain the bridge.

The router is then connected via a LAN to the desktop PC.

Are you saying there is a separate LAN network between the router and desktop? Or is this a simple network with just the laptop and desktop and the router directing the the traffic between the two computers by wireless or cable?

Hello,

Ah, now things become a bit clearer.

If this is true (please say so): TRUE

Phone Line comes into laptop

Laptop connects wirelessly to router

Router connects to desktop via lan

If so, read this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d_02july01.mspx

I believe the problem then is that your laptop and the router are giving out DHCP addresses maybe? Also, (sorry a bit rusty here, its 4am here) its likely that there is a network conflict going on either with the IP or subnet, but I am not sure which.

Does the router connect to the internet by itself? I am not sure what you mean. I ONLY access the internet from the laptop which has a phone line (dial-up internet) connected to it.

If the first point is true, and the router does connect to the internet when you want it too, you will need to do a manual setup of the network yourself.

What I would do first, is disable the modem and its settings and find a network cable and disable the wireless too for the time being and get the whole internal network running with wires first. Forget about the internet.

As a side point when thats working, remember that the laptop IP address for the phone line will be determined by the ISP. Set to automatic.

The rest of them, which is the wireless laptop, the router and the pc lan must all be set to run off its own network with thier own unique settings (Remember the workgroup must be the same)

Only when you have it working via wires and without internet should you start to add in the more complicated stuff.

JimE

Now I am confused again, but it may explain the bridge.

Are you saying there is a separate LAN network between the router and desktop? Or is this a simple network with just the laptop and desktop and the router directing the the traffic between the two computers by wireless or cable?

I mean that the router is connected to the DESKTOP non-wirelessly (with a cable into a 10/100 NIC).

Sounds like the Desktop networking has been corrupted. First I question why you are using a network bridge, this doesn't sound right and the third version of a bridge is even more suspicious. "I" would lean toward removing all the networks, remove the network card and uninstall all the networking services and basically start from scratch. Putting the card back in and restoring all the drivers and networking services. But lets see what others think.

I have no idea why I am using a network bridge. I think it was automatically set up when I configured the first network.

I have thought many times about starting from the beginning but I can't find any programs to remove (From the Add or Remove Programs screen).

I don't know how to remove/delete my currnet "Wireless Network Connection" that displays in the system tray. The only related option is to disable.

The way to remove the wireless network connection altogether is to remove the PCMCIA card from the laptop.

I personally vote with Bob...remove all of the networking components, and using the "add/remove software" option in the control panel, remove the applicable drivers/programs (providing of course that you have the installation disks) and start from scratch. Take one step at a time. Since you say that you don't use the phone line to share the internet connection, I would not even worry about that at this time

I've attached a small jpg to illustrate your setup (at least from what I can perceive from the posts). If it is correct, it may help some of us visualize your configuration and what you are trying to do.

The way to remove the wireless network connection altogether is to remove the PCMCIA card from the laptop.

I personally vote with Bob...remove all of the networking components, and using the "add/remove software" option in the control panel, remove the applicable drivers/programs (providing of course that you have the installation disks) and start from scratch. Take one step at a time. Since you say that you don't use the phone line to share the internet connection, I would not even worry about that at this time

I've attached a small jpg to illustrate your setup (at least from what I can perceive from the posts). If it is correct, it may help some of us visualize your configuration and what you are trying to do.

Your image is correct.

As I mentioned earlier, there is not any router-related software/drivers listed. So I don't have anything to remove.

Have you tried any of Jim's suggestions yet? I see he is on this thread so maybe he is writing something. I have another question or two in the meantime.

Go into Control Panel click on Network Connections.

How many LAN's do you have listed and what are the names:

For the Laptop?

For the Desktop?

Have you tried any of Jim's suggestions yet? I see he is on this thread so maybe he is writing something. I have another question or two in the meantime.

Go into Control Panel click on Network Connections.

How many LAN's do you have listed and what are the names:

For the Laptop? Local Area Connection (disabled, firewalled). Wireless Network Connection 2 (connected, firewalled)

For the Desktop? ]None. Everything (1394 connection, Network Bridge (Network Bridge 3), and Local Area Connection are listed under "Network Bridge".

I haven't tried Jim's suggestions yet. I was wondering if Jim still wanted me to try those things even though my configuration was a little different than he thought (as I mentioned in post # 59).

Edited by rnmcd

Hello,

Sorry yes I read this thread earlier then I got called out to a fire, but left the PC on.

If you can just do this step first....

Turn off everything. Then turn on the laptop. Disable all networks apart from your wireless. Then start IE and go to tools, internet options and connections. Tick never dial a connection and under LAN make sure the automatically detect settings box is ticked. If the box undernearth it is ticked, copy and record the path somewhere before unticking it.

On your Desktop pc, go into viewing all network connections and disable the bridge. This should then release all the other networks. You can if you want disable the firewire (IEE thingy).

Then do the below.

1. Please disconnect any scanners, printers or anything else attached to any of the computers.

2. Login to your d-link router, and go into your DHCP and check that it looks like mine as above. Write these down somewhere. Please report back here them too.

3. On your desktop PC, goto start > run and type in "CMD" (no " though!) Press return. Now type in "ipconfig /all" and see what it says. Write these down somewhere. Please report back here them too.

Mine says:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home
	Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
	Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter(rev.B) #2
	Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
	IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

4. On the same PC, turn OFF any firewall you have running (you can turn them on later). If you have no firewall running, but its running XP SP2, goto the control panel, windows firewall and turn it off.

5. Last but not least, on the desktop pc, goto start > right click on my computer >properties > computer name and tell me what the workgroup is please.

Right, thats the router sorted out and the desktop PC. Leave them alone for now.

By the clock, will be an icon with a wireless waves coming from it, click on status. It will show you connected to the router. Click on properties. Make sure file and sharing are there. Now, click on TCP/IP and properties.

At this stage, you will see that it has "Obtain IP automatically". Change it by clicking "use the following IP address".

IP Address Type in the all the digits like displayed on your desktop PC. The last number, add 3 to do and put it in. E.g. 192.168.1.5

For subnet and default gateway, use the same as what you copied down from your desktop PC. E.g. mine is:

7. On the next bit down, make sure it has "Use the following DNS server address". This should be set to the value seen on your desktop PC, e.g. :

8. If you close this and go back to the network properties, click on wireless networks at the top, highlight the wireless network which is shown and then click properties > connection and make sure that box is always ticked!

9. Now Close that all and still on the laptop, goto oto start > right click on my computer >properties > computer name. The workgroup must be EXCATLEY the same as the desktop one. However, the computer name must be different. If not, click on "more" and change the name and/or the workgroup. Remember, workgroup must match, the name must not!.

10. Turn OFF any firewall you have running (you can turn them on later) on the laptop. If you have no firewall running, but its running XP SP2, goto the control panel, windows firewall and turn it off.

11. Reboot the laptop. It will connect quicker to the router now and you should then be able to browse the network by going to start > my network places and view the workgroup computers.

Hello,

Sorry yes I read this thread earlier then I got called out to a fire, but left the PC on.

If you can just do this step first....

Turn off everything. Then turn on the laptop. Disable all networks apart from your wireless. Then start IE and go to tools, internet options and connections. Tick never dial a connection and under LAN make sure the automatically detect settings box is ticked. If the box undernearth it is ticked, copy and record the path somewhere before unticking it. COMPLETED. By the way, "Automatically detect settings" under LAN was not ticked previous to this.

On your Desktop pc, go into viewing all network connections and disable the bridge. This should then release all the other networks. You can if you want disable the firewire (IEE thingy). COMPLETED

Then do the below.

1. Please disconnect any scanners, printers or anything else attached to any of the computers. COMPLETED

2. Login to your d-link router, and go into your DHCP and check that it looks like mine as above. Write these down somewhere. Please report back here them too. COMPLETED. DHCP is Enabled. IP Pool Starting Address: 100. IP Pool Ending Address: 199.

RNMCD's says:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [color=#FF0000]DESKTOP[/color]
	Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : BROADCAST

Ethernet adapter [color=#FF0000]Local Area Connection[/color]:

Media State:..............[color=#FF0000]Media Disconected[/color]
			Description................[color=#FF0000]U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX[/color]
	Physical Address:.......[color=#FF0000]00-C0-49-B4-A4-0A[/color]

4. On the same PC, turn OFF any firewall you have running (you can turn them on later). If you have no firewall running, but its running XP SP2, goto the control panel, windows firewall and turn it off. I'm using XP Pro SP1 with NO firewall. By the way, Firewall is ON for LAPTOP.

5. Last but not least, on the desktop pc, goto start > right click on my computer >properties > computer name and tell me what the workgroup is please. Workgroup is "MSHOME"

By the clock, will be an icon with a wireless waves coming from it, click on status. It will show you connected to the router. Click on properties. Make sure file and sharing are there. I assume you mean" File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks." It is ticked.

Now, click on TCP/IP and properties.

Now, in the boxes, type the following details: (Desktop media is disconnected (as you asked) so I don't have an IP----this is as far a I went until I hear back from you.).

(Desktop media is disconnected (as you asked) so I don't have an IP----this is as far a I went until I hear back from you.)
? I missed the part where he said to disconnect the desktop from the router.

If you're referring to step 1:

I think he meant any extra stuff, not the network connection.

? I missed the part where he said to disconnect the desktop from the router.

If you're referring to step 1:

I think he meant any extra stuff, not the network connection.

He also mentioned:

Disable all networks apart from your wireless.

Here are my responses:

Turn off everything. Then turn on the laptop. Disable all networks apart from your wireless. Then start IE and go to tools, internet options and connections. Tick never dial a connection and under LAN make sure the automatically detect settings box is ticked. If the box undernearth it is ticked, copy and record the path somewhere before unticking it. COMPLETED. By the way, "Automatically detect settings" under LAN was not ticked previous to this.

On your Desktop pc, go into viewing all network connections and disable the bridge. This should then release all the other networks. You can if you want disable the firewire (IEE thingy). COMPLETED

Then do the below.

1. Please disconnect any scanners, printers or anything else attached to any of the computers. COMPLETED

2. Login to your d-link router, and go into your DHCP and check that it looks like mine as above. Write these down somewhere. Please report back here them too. COMPLETED. DHCP is Enabled. IP Pool Starting Address: 100. IP Pool Ending Address: 199.

RNMCD's says:

CODE

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : UNKNOWN

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : US Robiotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX

Physical Address:.............00-C0-49-B4-A4-0A

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : YES

Autoconfiguratin Enabled.......:YES

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.51.175

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

4. On the same PC, turn OFF any firewall you have running (you can turn them on later). If you have no firewall running, but its running XP SP2, goto the control panel, windows firewall and turn it off. I'm using XP Pro SP1 with NO firewall. By the way, Firewall is ON for LAPTOP.

5. Last but not least, on the desktop pc, goto start > right click on my computer >properties > computer name and tell me what the workgroup is please. Workgroup is "MSHOME"

By the clock, will be an icon with a wireless waves coming from it, click on status. It will show you connected to the router. Click on properties. Make sure file and sharing are there. I assume you mean" File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks." It is ticked.

Now, click on TCP/IP and properties.

IP Address Type in the all the digits like displayed on your desktop PC. The last number, add 3 to do and put it in. E.g. 192.168.1.5 I input 169-254.51.178

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 A Default Gateway address did not display for me.

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1A Default Gateway address did not display for me.

I have stopped at this point. I'll wait to hear back from someone regarding what to do with my lack of a Default Gateway address.

Edited by rnmcd

I'm not quite sure where "network properties" is located.

Hello,

If you do not have SP2 on the laptop, it won't have that facility. I would not worry, it was just a precaution.

The Default Gateway refers to your router, so use the IP of your router on both the laptop and the Desktop.

Correct it does, but do not change any of the IP settings you have entered.

Keep going.

Btw, can you please login to the router and give me the full IP starting and ending addresses.

E.g. not 100. but 100.0.0.1 (or whatever it says)

Keep going please!

JimE

Hello,

If you do not have SP2 on the laptop, it won't have that facility. I would not worry, it was just a precaution.

Correct it does, but do not change any of the IP settings you have entered.

Keep going.

Btw, can you please login to the router and give me the full IP starting and ending addresses.

E.g. not 100. but 100.0.0.1 (or whatever it says)

Keep going please!

JimE

All completed.

I rebooted and I am no longer able to access the router's software nor can I conect to the DESKTOP.

I am curious that we didn't make any changes to teh DESKTOP when I noted that I can't even obtain the Default Gateway address when I do a ipconfig /all from the DESKTOP.

Hello,

Using your desktop (which if you look back carefully, you shouldn't have changed anything, only used it to determine your IP. The point of this excerise was to leave one computer working and get the other one to see it using the same settings but a different IP) you should be able to access the router and its software still from the desktop.

Login into the router from there and set the gateway number to the same as mine. Do this for the desktop and laptop too.

To be honest, that should not make any difference, so please also once having done that, please do a ipconfig /all on both laptop and desktop and report back what you get.

Thanks

JimE

Hello,

Using your desktop (which if you look back carefully, you shouldn't have changed anything, only used it to determine your IP. The point of this excerise was to leave one computer working and get the other one to see it using the same settings but a different IP) you should be able to access the router and its software still from the desktop.

Login into the router from there and set the gateway number to the same as mine. Do this for the desktop and laptop too.

To be honest, that should not make any difference, so please also once having done that, please do a ipconfig /all on both laptop and desktop and report back what you get.

Thanks

JimE

I am not able to login to the router from the desktop. The Default Gateway address does not display on the DESKTOP when I do an ipconfig /all.

Let's cut out the laptop for a minute and focus on good reliable communication between the desktop and the router. Then we'll go crazy with the wireless.

Since we're knocking everything down and building it all back up again anyway, let's do a factory reset of the router. Instructions here. (Unless Jim or Bob disagree.) Don't change any settings on it yet. The latest firmware shouldn't matter for this part, and I see that the "latest" for that model is almost four years old anyway, so it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

If you're comfortable doing it, you might pull the network card from the desktop and remove any remnants of any network setup you've done thus far. Then reinstall the ethernet card. Make sure you have the latest drivers. Don't use any wizards, don't set up any bridges, don't specify any TCP/IP settings. To connect to a router and pull an IP, the default Windows settings should work.

Turn off the router and the desktop. Make sure the ethernet cable between the router and the desktop is connected, and make sure it's not plugged in to the WAN port on the router. Turn the router on. Wait a minute or two, just to make sure it's going. Then turn on the desktop.

In their default states, the router should dish out IPs via DHCP, and your desktop with it's default settings should have no issue grabbing an IP from the router. If we can't get this basic setup done, there are other problems (such as hardware, cabling, etc.) that we most likely cannot effectively troubleshoot in a forum.

I am not able to login to the router from the desktop.
If we can't get this basic setup done, there are other problems (such as hardware, cabling, etc.) that we most likely cannot effectively troubleshoot in a forum.

If you cannot login to the router then you have a hardware problem or the desktop is not connected correctly. Check the cable and make sure it is in the correct hole in the router, there are "WAN" ports on routers which are used for cable modems and it should not be used for a PC connection.

If this is not the problem then you have some other hardware issue with the network card or the router or cable being used. What type of "cable" are you using? Does it say cat5 or cat5e or cat6 on it somewhere? Do you have a spare network card you could use instead of the current card? Maybe the router is bad, do you have another?

(Unless Jim or Bob disagree.)

That was one of my earlier routes I suggested along with getting a tech to look at it. But I let Jim take the helm to see if he could get the manually assigned IP's going. At that time it sounded like it would have been quicker to set them up then starting from scratch. So lets let Jim keep going. We hit another speedbump with this Desktop connection problem but I believe its just a cabling problem since I think he had connectivity earlier and he just removed the cable...putting it back into the wrong hole is a common mistake :)

Putting that cable back into the wrong hole is a very very common mistake.

Rncd, could you please do the following:

1. Check the cable connection. It should be in the correct holes and most ones I have seen, be flashing some lights in some form or another.

2. Please do a ipconfig /all on both laptop and desktop and print them out here.

3. Please the follow Tim's advice in the above post. (Don't wait for us to comment on the IP issuse)

Thank you.

JimE

If you cannot login to the router then you have a hardware problem or the desktop is not connected correctly. Check the cable and make sure it is in the correct hole in the router, there are "WAN" ports on routers which are used for cable modems and it should not be used for a PC connection.

If this is not the problem then you have some other hardware issue with the network card or the router or cable being used. What type of "cable" are you using? Does it say cat5 or cat5e or cat6 on it somewhere? Do you have a spare network card you could use instead of the current card? Maybe the router is bad, do you have another?

I believe I have mentioned a few times that the desktop will typically resolve it's IP problem but it takes it 20 minutes or so. Then I can access shared files from my laptop.

I have reset the router a number of times but Tim's link mentioned that the router lights should come on solid. I don't recall if that was the case for me so I'll do it again and make a note.

Regarding putting the network cable into the wrong hole. I am sure that wasn't the case. I unplugged it because I thought that is what I was asked to do. But when it was mentioned that I need to plug it back in, I did, and then I reported the new ipconfig /all information....still no gateway address.

I believe I have mentioned a few times that the desktop will typically resolve it's IP problem but it takes it 20 minutes or so. Then I can access shared files from my laptop.

If you follow my instructions and with all the default settings it still takes 20 minutes to get an IP, there is something else wrong such as bad router, network card, or Windows installation. It should take a few seconds.

Tim's comment above is correct. It should only take a matter of seconds unless something is faulty. My above instructions would have removed the wait of the router dishing out the IP. To reverse them, just undo the steps in a backward order. That is, you need to go back to dynamically accepting an IP address.

JimE

I ended up unistalling all related software, driver, and router-related hardware then reinstalling.

Still can't get it to work.

I bought a linkys router and wireless card today and installed it. I can ping everything! Laptop, router, and desktop.

I would like to thank everyone for their attention to this matter. I learned quite a bit during the troubleshooting!