Oso_Grizzly

Di-634m Router Problem

I am experiencing a very peculiar problem with my d-link DI-634M router. The status and WLAN goes out after approximately 3 minutes of power cycling it.

The problem started when I could no get connected to the internet, so I checked the router and the status and WLAN lights were off, I reseted the router and nothing happened, so I power cycled the router and the status and WLAN lights went on for about 3 minutes, after that they went off and were unable to connect to the internet. The LAN light continue to be on always.

I have researched on the internet for this type of problem and no solution has been found or in the D-link site.

I also tried to upgrade the firmware, but at the middle of the process the screen goes out saying the devise is not connected and when reentering the router setup screen I still have the old firmware.

Any ideas of what might be happening. This is the second time I have problems with D-link router, my last one a DU624 just quit without any reason.

Osog

Sounds like its bad, return it to the store or contact d-link to have it replaced. If its not under warranty you'll have to get a new one. Sorry but thats the way electronics are, they break and the easiest solution is to replace them.

I was expecting the terrible news.

Who do you think is more reliable, D-link or Linksys WIFI routers ?

What can cause this type of damage ? I have my router connected to a UPS so power surges should not be the problem.

Returning the router is going to be a bit of a hassle because I live outside the USA.

Thanks any ways for your suggestions.

Osog

Speaking from experience I prefer D-Link to Linksys. I had a D-Link wireless DL-614+ for several years and wanted to upgrade to 54mb. I purchased a Linksys and was happy with it until it started shutting down the wireless portion for no reason every Friday for an hour or so. I have since replaced it with a new D-Link WBR-1310 and have experienced zero problems so far.

Who do you think is more reliable, D-link or Linksys WIFI routers ?
I usually purchase the one thats cheapest, they are all pretty equal so the price usually is what determines what I get.

What can cause this type of damage ?

Lots of things, shock like dropping or hitting it with something, or moisture in the air or high tempature. And a UPS not 100% protection against a surge or a direct lightening strike. It could be a simple thing like faulty components that broke after use.

Coming to think about it, the previous day before the problems started, a heavy rainfall fell in the city. No direct lighting hits. Could it be static electricity ? My UPS has a surge protector. Obviously it did not do its job.

Two broken WIFi routers in a year. Humidity, Panama has about the same climate as Puerto Rico.

What do you recommend for protecting this type of devise ? I used a Tripplite UPS & surge protector, but apparently that was not enough. This items are very sensitive for what it appears.

I usually purchase the one thats cheapest, they are all pretty equal so the price usually is what determines what I get.

Lots of things, shock like dropping or hitting it with something, or moisture in the air or high tempature. And a UPS not 100% protection against a surge or a direct lightening strike. It could be a simple thing like faulty components that broke after use.

Two broken WIFi routers in a year.

They just don't make them as well as they used too.

They just don't make them as well as they used too.
I think it has to do more with the total number they are making...its becoming a standard piece of equipment now in the home market and more and more routers are being made. The more you have the more you hear about them breaking or not working. The failure percentage rate maybe the same or actually lower but it sounds higher because of the larger number of routers being used.

What do you recommend for protecting this type of devise ?

Exactly what you have. The bare minimum would be a Power strip with surge protection. You have gone a step above this with the UPS, not only are you protected against surges you are keeping your equipment supplied with power if the power fails. This is the more expensive route, but a good one :)

I think it has to do more with the total number they are making...its becoming a standard piece of equipment now in the home market and more and more routers are being made. The more you have the more you hear about them breaking or not working. The failure percentage rate maybe the same or actually lower but it sounds higher because of the larger number of routers being used.

Never thought of it that way Bob, but you are probably right.