Cross-browser Compatability

LunarMagic

Now normally I have a pretty good track record with different browsers... at least, I can get the latest versions of IE and Netscape to play nice. My problem today is with Opera.

This is my site: http://lunarmagicdesigns.com

View it in IE and mozilla, no issues. View in Opera, the top menu part is all off. Does anyone know why it might be doing that, so I can know how to fix it? I'm going to be experimenting today, I guess... not much else I know how to do. o.O

Funny thing is, I just checked another of my domains, which is way heavy in css and javascript, and it showed up perfectly in Opera. LMAO!

Oh, and in Netscape 4.x it doesn't show up much at ALL. Helpful hints for that??

I was just at your site....I know nothing about Opera, although I am intending to try it soon to find out more, but from your page http://lunarmagicdesigns.com/prices.php when I clicked on the portfolio link I was getting 2 pages at once. Just wanted to let you know. I'm using IE6 right now, but I'll check it later with Mozilla when I fire up my Linux box......

ImaD

Yeah, I just checked your site through IE6, Mozilla, and Opera and everything looks fixed! I'm happy to see your so concerned with cross-browswer compatability though, because most don't these days.

Site looks great too, by the way.. Keep up the great work! :D

Great design... very slick. I though I'd mention that your CSS styled page "breaks" if the window size is reduced.

For example, using ie6, with favorites listed down the left side of the screen, the menu across the top of your site gets scrunched and the resulting positioning is off.

Just a thought, maybe you could consider sizing the divs with pixels, even though it would push the content out past the window a bit.

CSS positioning is very tricky, I'm trying to get better at it myself. As much as I'd love to use it, I've found that it slows down my projects rather than speed it up.

Should work okay, but if it's not I'll figure out why. =) I had to use a table for the top thing... to get it working in Opera. I think that's the issue there... gragh! I can't seem to win either way I go. *grrrr* Well I'm sure I can get at least that working... *thinking* Yeah, I'll work on that tomorrow.

CSS positioning is very tricky... I've taken to using it inconjunction with javascript (aka DHTML) to make sure things aren't bigger than the user's window, etc. It seems to work well, but yes, it does take quite a bit longer. It's worth it, to me.

And thanks. =)

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, you can't really cater to ALL browsers, but just need to make a conscious decision of where you are going to draw the line.

Different methods include

CSS hacks - writing less than orthodox css code to trick some browsers into glossing over parts of your design code

Browser sniffing - setting up a script that reads what type of browser is visiting and then serving up versions of your site

Upgrade messages - using either one of the two previous methods to give the visitor a message that your site would look better in an updated version of the browser

Redirects - Aggressive redirects to pages that tell the user to upgrade browsers

Just ignoring certain browsers - and putting a line on your site that says, this site best viewed with X browser

What you choose depends on your goals and personality.

hotscripts.com

Figuring out what browser is one thing... but you also have to have a plan for what to do with the information. I don't think the browser sniffer will do this for you. Will require some coding. Just a heads up.

ignoring certain browsers - and putting a line on your site that says, this site best viewed with X browser
Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network. -Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

You might recognizeTim Berners-Lee as the fellow who invented the WWW.

anybrowser3.gif This site works best in Any Browser - Campaign for Non-Specific WWW.

I know this is a debate that has no winner, but I would like to add my two cents to the mix. I use Mozilla as my stardard browser, and while it's rare for me to run across anything that it can't handle, it occasionally does happen. For this reason, when I design a site I try to take in to account all the different browsers that are used these days. However, as in any other aspect of business, you must have a line that you're not willing to cross back over because doing so would mean being left behind by new technology. I mean, think about it. Would you really want an mp3 player capable of playing your old 8 tracks?

All I'm saying is, I am not going to design a site around the capabilities of Netscape 3 or IE4 . If you are unwilling to update to a more current version of a browser... well... go dig out those old 8-tracks and have a party! Dance Dance