Cpanel Password Protect

My weblog runs on MT 3.2; I tried implementing password protect via CPanel for a sub-blog directory, but I only get error messages when I try to access the sub-blog. As with kristian's situation, the problem seems to be the mod_rewrite conditions in htaccess. If I delete those rewrite rules in the main htaccess, the problem disappears. Deleting those rules in the subdirectory's htaccess does nothing at all.

Can anyone suggest a workaround that would allow me to password protect the sub-blog without trashing the mod-rewrite rules for the main weblog?

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Found the answer. To force the rewrite rules in my site's main .htaccess to ignore subdirectory "foo", I inserted the following code into the beginning of the main .htaccess, before any other rules. This allowed the standard password-protection procedure to apply to "foo" while leaving the rewrite rules in place for the rest of the site.

><IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*foo.*$
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>