Full Site Backup - Home?

Quick question on doing a site backup....

By going through Cpanel/Backup and generating a Full Backup - what does that really mean - is that backup file created a full site backup including the public_html folder? Thanks!

Gregg

The full backup is everything set up in your account. If you needed to restore a full backup you would upload the file and open a ticket with the help desk to have them restore it.

The home backup function does not include databases or aliases or your filters. But you can restore these files without opening a help desk ticket in most cases.

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a quick way to also backup databases - I just haven't checked into how to do that yet....a link to how to do that is fine.... Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
It's in the same backup section of cpanel. You will see your databases listed to be backed up. Along with alias and filter files you can backup.

Bruce,

Is it possible to save these various Q&A's on such important topics as Backup in your Control Section, so that you can d/l them to your computer for printing. Or, must I resort to Copy and Paste into a text software?

Thank you.

GM

The full backup is everything set up in your account. If you needed to restore a full backup you would upload the file and open a ticket with the help desk to have them restore it.

The home backup function does not include databases or aliases or your filters. But you can restore these files without opening a help desk ticket in most cases.

Hello Bruce!

I am just a teensy bit confused on the c/panel back up stuff. I just went in to my c/panel (Yesssssss!!! It worked this time!!! :) ) and did one of those home back up choices on the left column. I do this each month.

What about that little box with "weekly" in it? Does that mean c/panel is automatically backing me up every week and sending a copy to my Doc file where I've got my backups? If that's the case - I don't need to do backups - right?

I've noticed the BIG GUN BACKUP selector at the top, in the centre of the page. It appears rather important looking - and perhaps something I shouldn't mess with - but I'm not sure. Should I be doing something there too - or is this something you do at your end? I'm a little fuzzy on the database/filter/alias thing too - but it appears from your last entry that your office has those pretty much under control and I needn't concern self.

I might have known all this a year ago Bruce - but I'm drawing a big blank today.

I don't need a lot of detail here. Could you just give me some yes, no, yes, no - two or three word answers and I'll go away again.

Hi namaste,

You can also highlight the post and print it...

Sometimes, I just want to print out one or two threads, so I highlight them, then go to > File > Print, and make sure you click on 'Selection', so it only prints what you have highlighted. :)

Lorraine

MM if you want to backup your web site files click on the home directory link

as often as you want to have a backup on your computer.

Its not automatic, you have to do it.

The weekly is an older copy as far as I can see

As to the databases, again if you have any

for a forum or guestbook or other scripts

click on each to download them.

The alias are your email forwards if you made any

and the filters are if you are filtering any thing

You have to download any of the above when you want

nothing is automatic.

none of these backup are sent to you.

thanks Don!

Sounds like I'm doing everything right so far. I just want to make sure all my "stuff" stays where it belongs - just in case I do something incredibly stupid and wreck everything in one fatal move!

Regards,

MM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, just to clarify, are you saying that if for some reason the site blows up there is no backup unless we have manually downloaded the home dir and all the mysql's every night?

Cause I know on some hosts they back up nightly, and if you screwed up they can install the backup.

Part 2: Is there a way to set up a cron or something to do and then put the backup somewhere on the server every night?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Our backups are run once weekly - the particular day of the week varies by server. We backup to a secondary drive in your server and we backup to a remote server in a different datacenter than your server (you know, just in case your datacenter blows up).

While we do our best to maintain the integrity of our servers and your data and will go to great lengths to help you in the event of data loss, the hard reality of working with computers is that sometimes stuff happens. The Terms that Thomas pointed to are absolutely correct - you are ultimately responsible for having good backups of your data. If you require daily backups of your data, you need to make daily backups. There have been plenty of suggestions in these forums as to how that might be accomplished with minimal effort.

Like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the suggestions and info. Its so darned tedious these backups.

I agree.

Backing up website files although basic for a webmaster to do is so time consuming.

However, I saw that there is a new software now that will make this easy for you to backup

all the files you need both website backup and mysql databases backups.

I found this: http://www.cpsitesaver.com

Its a very useful tool by automating the backup tasks for us.

hope this helps you in the future.

TCH-Thomas made the link inactive.