Mozilla

Twisted

I tried mozilla. I don't see what the big rave about it is since none of my sites expect kustomchoice.com could be seen correctly with it.

It caused none of my sites to load right because mozilla doesn't support png images or .css stylesheets! On my wife's site everything loaded but the main image of the whole site! Reminds me of a blasted mac! Man I hate macs.

So in order to see my site correctly you gotta use IE6 otherwise forget about it!

Anyways this isn't meant to put down mozilla users. Just telling about my experiance with it. :P

Twisted..

some fun stuff about mozilla..

I think you're right, for some things, it's not as good as ie or opera. But it does have some pluses..

- it's pretty good a dealing with popups compared to ie 6

- it's highly highly customizeable concerning actions and appearance, some people like that.

- the tabbed browsing feature is very nice if you browse a ton of web pages and you don't like clutter on your desktop (I would say that windows xp solves this with it's taskbar modifications though)

- open source - it's a group effort, everyone is working to improve it.

- p.s. it should run stylesheets fine.. at least the latest version.

So I hope that answers your question. It is very much like the mac, a good thing, but not the best thing, but the people who love it LOVE it and are very faithful to it.

If you like IE6 though, my advice would be to just stick with that.

-dnm

It caused none of my sites to load right because mozilla doesn't support png images or .css stylesheets!

How'd you reach that conclusion? I've had no problems whatsoever with PNGs or CSS in Mozilla or Firebird. All my sites and all the sites I read render perfectly. As best I can tell, Mozilla is about as standards compliant (with regards to (X)HTML and CSS) as they come.

For what it's worth, I use Mozilla and Firebird on a FreeBSD system at home. At work I use IE6, though not by choice. :P

Twisted, if you're having problems with PNG and CSS, then that's because you've got something wrong with your mozilla instalation. Either that or you have a really old version - which would still support PNGs anyway ;)

Mozilla is far more standards compliant than IE or Opera.

As for the popup blocker, I don't know about you but I like to keep my work environment as free and organized as I can, so if I can have only one single application running instead of two... great! Not to mention that a popup blocker is running all the time. With mozilla, you can't even talk about a "popup blocker running", since it's not a seperate application. It's all about saving memory, dude ;)

As for your sites not being seen with mozilla, well, I'll take an atittude similar to yours (either use IE or forget it): either make it visible in any browser or forget it... :P

What I'm trying to show you is that people may not be willing to use IE just to see your site.

Some might not even be able to, like me: I don't even use windows and I'm not going to reboot my machine and load another OS just to be able to see one website...

Anyway, if you're not able to see your sites just because of PNGs and CSS, then that's not Mozilla's fault, I assure you. It's probably your code that is not compatible with anything else other than IE. As for the PNGs, there's something wrong with your mozilla, I guarantee you.

Oh, and note that if you do use PNGs, there are some versions of IE that won't render them at all - version 5.0 and below, I think.

I would also like to add just a little note: Mozilla doesn't spread those *#$%&! viruses to which IE and Outlook are vulnerable. ;)

That alone was the motive that made me switch first to Opera and then to Mozilla, when 1.0 came out. :)

I don't think the problem is with mozilla, it's more with your stylesheet. You should run it through the CSS Validator to see if you get any warning and/or errors.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=pathtoyourstylesheet

The reason it's important to make your sites work with all the browsers you can is that the average guy or gal off the street might not use IE6, so when they visit your site with mozilla, opera, ect, and see it's all "funny lookin" then they might not stay. Go read this column I wrote up on the elements of design, I think you'll find some good use out of it if you want to continue fixing this problem.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/elements...-of-design.html

It has tabbed viewing. You can have different tabs in the same window and you can save the tabs like bookmarks. If you had 5 sites you checked every day you could just open them up as different tabs and bookmark the tabs for latter.

-Tim

I had in the past used Microsoft browsers until I discovered Mozilla then Phoenix/Firebird. They are superior to any of the non standard crap that Microsoft produces. It is frustrating when I encounter a website that has been "optimized for Internet Explorer." This means it will do things that are not standard, hence not work in any other browser. Arrogant, very arrogant to assume we all are Microsoft sheep. I look forward to the end of Microsoft dominance so that we can get back to standards and better software. I will leave and never return most of the time I encounter one of these fancy Internet Explore only sites.

Twisted, I checked out your site with Firebird and they worked without any problems. Vortec.png was rendered properly. My only suggestion if you are interested: increase the contrast between text and background. It is hard to read on twistedweb.net. Don't give up on Mozilla.

Yeah, I really like Firebird as well, Mozilla kinda turned me off at first just because of a few familier touches of IE I was used to, but Firebird has almost made up for them. The only thing keeping Firebird and/or Mozilla from becoming my default browswer is that fact that most my friends' sites aren't optimized to work with any browser and faster on screen performance.

I still recomend Firebird though for anybody who tried Mozilla at first and decided they didn't like the feel of it, it's worth the second look, I promise! Thumbs Up

Mitch, I agree exactly with your observations, which is why I posted a recommendation on looking at Firebird. It does do a couple of funky things with some web sites, but overall works very nicely.

And, by the way, it installs without any changes to the registry or adding files to Windows systems directories!

Once you download and unzip Firebird into a directory, you can literally go to other PC's (if you are on a local network) and copy the entire Firebird directory onto the PC, set up a shortcut to the Firebird .exe file, and that's it!

-kw

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped using regular Mozilla a couple of weeks ago in favor of Mozilla Firebird. A highly recommended move. The browser is leaner, and as far as I can tell has no Splash screen anyway.

However, when I was using Mozilla I recall that I had to enable the 'quick start'' option. An icon sits in the system tray representing some part of Mozilla running in the background all the time. The browser starts much faster, and no Splash screen. It's somewhere in the 'Edit/Preferences' menu. Probably 'Startup'.

Well my two cents.

I have the following installed on my main workstation.

Opera

IE 6

Mozilla

Firebird

Firebird was rough going for abit, however the Glendale release is much improved. It still isnt my daily browser.

Opera is plenty fast. I havent seen many bugs with the latest versions. I use it very little.

IE 6 is garbage. No, it is worse than garbage, It is the stuff that garbage turns into after sitting in the hot sun for a few days., I use it only when I have to. There are many sites I visit daily that require IE. So I am stuck with it. Kinda like a birthmark. Just stuck with it.

Mozilla is my daily browser. I use it 95% of the time. Keep up to date with the service releases and follow the web site, the dev team is way fun to watch.

I have played with IE addons like Crazybrowser and MYie, they just seem to be to buggy for me.

Anyways that my 2 cents.

Long live Mozilla!!!

I've been using Mozilla for a while and yesterday downloaded Firebird. A very nice package indeed - except for one thing : no email. So in order to check my mail I have to open Mozilla or Netscape to get at it. Did I miss something? :D

Mozilla Firebird is at http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html. They just relocated there from elsewhere.

EDIT: you can still get Firebird at the mozilla.org site. You'll see it on the left side of the home page (http://www.mozilla.org/).

Along with the other browsers mentioned in posts above, I also use Netscape Navigator 4.76 because I still have at least one user who's using that on a Unix box. Hopefully, her sysadmin will decided to upgrade soon! Navigator's actually a little useful, because it's not very forgiving. Certain errors in my page code are immediately blatantly obvious!

Just a note about E-mail and Firebird:

Mozilla Firebird is not supposed to be a coplete package like Mozilla is. Meaning, it doesn't have an e-mail client.

If you want one, you can get Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Firebird's "e-mail companion".

Think of it this way: Firebird is the remake of the Mozilla browser component and Thunderbird is the remake of the e-mail client. But they're making them separately this time - a better approach, IMHO, since it means smaller files to download, smaller memory footprints and software that runs faster :D

Get them all at www.mozilla.org

First of all, let me also recommend that you keep Mozilla around for those occasions when Firebird decides that it's not a good time for it to work :)

Firebird is still a work in progress, and so it crashes a few times.

As for the OS, I suggest you take a look at the biggest-and-greatest-Linux-thread-ever :D

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...?showtopic=2871

I was just wonderring where mozilla stores its cache etc.

Does it keep it all in its program directory or does it use another location?

BTW, the Linux thread rox!!

:)

Mozilla keeps it's cache in one single directory per user (I don't remember how it works under single user systems like Windows9x/Me).

Basically, Mozilla creates a cache folder in a subdirectory of your home directory.

In Windows, it will create something like this:

c:\Documents and Settings\borfast\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\fg4wivcr.slt\Cache

And in Linux, it will put it here:

/home/borfast/.mozilla/borfast/pe9o6m44.slt/Cache

No hidden stuff :)

And here's the thing that most people don't realize: since Mozilla is Open Source, everyone has access to it's source code, so there's now way it will keep hidden things from the user, because if it did, someone would see the code that hides the files or whatever and... well, I think you get the picture :)

Long live Open Source! :)

Nice, another "about: " trick! :P

There's a very useful one if you use Firebird, which is about:config - it allows you to change everything in the bird's configuration, even stuff that is not visible on the options dialog B)

same with mozilla.

here is another trick:

Smooth Scrolling in Mozilla.

1. type about:config into the address bar

2. right click and create a new BOOLEAN

3. name it general.Smoothscroll and give it a value of true

4. restart the browser and voila, smooth scrolling paradise Thumbs Up

The about:config "trick" only works in Mozilla if you install the plugin for it... isn't it? :D

Or is it now part of the newest versions?

Also, the smooth scrolling is only available from 1.4 up... or is it 1.3?...

OK, I better shut up about this one :P

Has anyone noticed that when you hold CRL + scroll the mouse wheel in IE pages with css used for text sizing do nothing whereas when you do the same in Mozilla firebird you can resize the text freely regardless of whether css is being used.

Just another way Mozilla is better than IE.

If every browser did this accessibilty issues would be greatly decreased as even sites with puny text can be read easily.

You probably all knew this, but I was so pleased to discover it I tought I'd post it anyway.

Thumbs Up