Joomla 1.0.9 Released

I've only just installed Joomla 1.0.8 so how do you install the upgrade to 1.0.9, I have downloaded the patch upgrade from 1.0.8 to 1.0.9 do I just copy all the files in the zip file over to replace the equivalent files and directories in the Joomla cPanel installed version ?? Thanks for advice as always.

I have modified the link in my originalpost that goes to a page which includes information on how to upgrade.

My apologize that the link wasn´t in the original post until now but yesterday I did not see a link to the upgrade instructions etc anywhere on the joomla site.

Thanks Thomas for the reply. I basically unzipped it and uploaded using ftp as I thought that might be the way to go, a bit like coppermine upgrades. As it seems to be similar sourceforge involvements I was thinking along these lines.

The patch package contains no documentation that I couls see. You would think that they would include a readme file in there, just as a reminder etc to upgrading procedures.

Hello Flashram,

I hope you found the upgrade easy to do.

I believe the reason why is the the patch files are just that, to patch, nothing else. Many software firms belive that if you can patch, you dont need documentation in the files as you may/should have already read it on a website somewhere. Not ideal I know but just thought it might be a useful point of view

JimE

True JimE, but from a user friendly point of view, documentation should always be included in any updates, which then stops hopefully, any painful episodes developing in forum discussions.

Here are the detailed steps I used.

0. Login as admin to your joomla site and take the site off line, be polite and give a good estimate of when you will bring it back on line in absolute terms like 11:00 am Sunday June 11, 2006.

1. Check your current installed version System->System Info->System Info tab. Check the joomla version line. Log out of joomla admin.

2. Get the patch file for your version to 1.0.9, I use the tar.gz format.

3.Backup your system

4 Upload the patch file with cpanel to your Joomla root directory for me public_html/joomla. The patch assmes it is unpaced in the joomla root directory.

5. For safety I copy my joomla directory with the patch to my /tmp directory with cpanel, then I use cpanel to extract the files from the tar.gz by selecting the tar.gz file and hitting extract. This ran without errors and then I used gftp (linux ftp gui) to check the file owner ship and permissions of a few random directories and files in the updated joomla tmp agains those in my offical joomla directory. They all looked good.

8. Used cpanel to extract the patch in my official joomla directory.

9. Logged back in as admin and check the version as in step 1, it should be 1.0.9 now.

10. Enable the site, hit some of your custom modules etc and generally surf the site.